Eight days after the deadliest mass shooting in American history, the U.S. Senate voted down a series of proposals to restrict those eligible to buy firearms and expand screening of gun purchasers.

Late Monday, Republicans blocked two longstanding proposals that Democrats championed with renewed vigor after Islamic State-inspired shooter Omar Mateen killed 49 clubgoers and wounded 53 others just over a week ago in Orlando, Florida.

One measure would block those on a variety of federal terror watchlists, including those barred from flying, from buying guns. Another would expand mandatory background checks for firearms purchases to include gun show and internet sales.

Both measures failed to get the three-fifths backing required to be attached as amendments to pending legislation in the Senate.

“I’m mortified by today’s vote,” said Democrat Chris Murphy, who commandeered the Senate floor for 15 hours last week to demand legislative action on gun violence.

“What am I going to tell 49 grieving families [in Orlando]?” asked Florida Democrat Bill Nelson. “Sadly, what I’m going to have to tell them is the NRA [National Rifle Association gun rights lobbying group] won again.”

 

Republicans said they could not vote for any proposal that did not provide a means for those wrongly placed on the terror watchlist to contest the government’s determination, alleging the Democratic measure would deny Americans their constitutional right to bear arms without due process of law.