Health officials in Canada have confirmed the country’s first case of Andes hantavirus following an outbreak linked to an Antarctic cruise ship.

The Public Health Agency of Canada confirmed on Sunday that laboratory testing by the National Microbiology Laboratory in Winnipeg verified a positive case in a Yukon resident who had been isolating in British Columbia after exposure aboard the MV Hondius cruise ship.The passenger had initially tested “presumptive positive” on Saturday after developing mild symptoms, including fever and headache, according to British Columbia’s Provincial Health Officer, Dr. Bonnie Henry.

The infected individual and their travelling partner were transferred to hospital in Victoria for assessment and testing. Health officials later confirmed the partner tested negative for the virus. Authorities say four Canadians were brought to Vancouver Island for isolation following exposure to the rare Andes strain of hantavirus, which differs from most hantavirus strains because it can spread from person to person. The World Health Organization has said the overall public risk remains low. Public health officials also confirmed that a third individual has since been transferred to hospital out of an abundance of caution, while a fourth traveller continues isolating at home.

According to the Public Health Agency of Canada, all nine Canadians identified as high-risk contacts are currently isolating and being closely monitored by local health authorities in British Columbia, Alberta and Ontario. An additional 26 people classified as low-risk contacts have been advised to monitor for symptoms. So far, 12 cases worldwide have been linked to the cruise ship outbreak.

Canada’s Chief Public Health Officer, Dr. Joss Reimer, thanked health-care workers and public health officials in British Columbia for their management of the situation and praised passengers for complying with isolation measures. Meanwhile, infectious disease expert Dr. Lynora Saxinger of the University of Alberta said the risk to the general public remains low, noting that health authorities acted quickly to isolate and manage those exposed.

Officials say there have been no additional confirmed cases in Canada at this time.