Joe Biden: Speculation About 2016 Bid Reaches Fever Pitch

The speculation about whether Vice President Joe Biden will enter the 2016 race reached a fever pitch Monday as supporters, reporters and political prognosticators weighed in on his intentions.

One Democratic congressman from Pennsylvania set off a frenzy when he tweeted he knew the vice president would jump into the 2016 race. Snapchat even got in on the Biden speculation game, creating a filter for users in the D.C. area. And then there were the nuggets of information about Biden's supposed operational plans should he enter the race.

ABC News has learned a longtime associate of Biden's inquired about renting available office space in downtown Washington for a possible presidential campaign. But that associate acknowledged to ABC News that he was asking about office space on his own, without guidance or permission from the vice president or his
current political team. The associate, who requested anonymity, is among those who think Biden is likely to run, but not based on a direct signal from Biden himself.

People who have spoken to Biden and those close to him in recent days have emerged with a general consensus that he’s moving toward a run, but that he still has not made up his mind to declare his candidacy.


CIA and Homeland Security Heads Have Accounts Hacked

A personal AOL email account associated with CIA Director John Brennan was hacked and contained personally identifiable information, as was an account linked to the secretary of the Department of Homeland Security, sources tell ABC News.

Sources say it does not appear Brennan used the account for government business after he became CIA director. “We are aware of the reports that have surfaced on social media and have referred the matter to the appropriate authorities,” a CIA spokesman told ABC News. Sources also say that an account linked to Homeland Security Secretary Jeh Johnson was also compromised.

“We are aware of the media report, however as a matter of policy, we do not comment on the Secretary’s personal security.” Sources familiar with the breach say it appears the Johnson hack exposed a very limited amount of information, none of it believed to be sensitive. According to the New York Post, which first reported on the alleged intrusions after being contacted by an individual who identified himself as the hacker, the accounts were compromised through the use of “social engineering” techniques.


Samuels to Undergo Testing for Suspect Action

West Indies off-spinner Marlon Samuels will have to undergo testing on his action within two weeks after being reported for having a suspect bowling action, for the third time in seven years. An International Cricket Council release said Monday that the match officials report following last week's first Test in Galle against Sri Lanka "cited concerns about the legality of the 34-year-old's bowling action".

Under ICC regulations, Samuels will now be required to have his action tested within 14 days, but will be allowed to continue bowling until the results of the tests are disclosed.


Top US General Assesses IS Fight in Iraq

U.S. Joint Chiefs of Staff Chairman General Joseph Dunford flew into Iraq Tuesday to get an in-person assessment of the ongoing fight against Islamic State militants.

Dunford told reporters traveling with him on his first visit to Iraq since taking the post October 1 that Iraqi officials have assured him they have not asked Russia to join the group of nations conducting airstrikes there.

Russian forces have been bombing in Syria for the past three weeks in a campaign they say includes a focus on terrorists but has been criticized by the U.S. and others as targeting opponents of Syrian President Bashar al-Assad.

Several Iraqi officials had signaled they would welcome Russia's presence in Iraq as well, but Dunford said Prime Minister Haider al-Abadi did not make any request for Russian airstrikes.

In addition to meeting with U.S. and Iraqi officials, Dunford is holding talks with the head of Iraq's Kurdistan region, President Massoud Barzani.


Novlebe Williams-Mills Awarded Order of Distinction

World Championships 400-metre relay gold medallist, Novlene Williams Mills, was among four sports personality who were bestowed with the Order of Distinction in the rank of Officer (OD) at the National Honours and Awards Ceremony at King's House yesterday.

The track and field star was joined by former president of Jamaica Cricket Association (JCA) Lyndel Wright; Carvel Stewart, chairman of Harbour View Football Club and vice-chairman of the Premier League Clubs Association (PLCA) and FIFA referee instructor Peter Prendergast on being conferred the honour for rendering outstanding and important service to Jamaica.

"I feel really honoured and blessed to be among all these people that have received awards and for me to be an athlete and getting an award of this calibre I am really honoured she added.


Host Country Haiti Topped Group A on Goal Difference

Host country Haiti topped Group A on goal difference to progress to the semi-finals of the Caribbean Football Union Women's Under-20 tournament here.

They narrowly finished ahead of Puerto Rico, who had the same number of points, but an inferior goal difference in the three-team group. Third-placed Bermuda were eliminated.

If the young Reggae Girlz top Group B they will face Puerto Rico, but Head Coach Hue Menzies is not too concerned about which team his charges go up against.

He conceded, however, that facing the hosts may prove to be the tougher of the two.

"You don't want to play the hosts in the semis because of all the support they would get. You prefer to get to the final before facing them. But at the end of the day we're ready to play whichever team. Puerto are also very good. I just think either team will give us good competition so we have to be ready.

Up to press time yesterday, Jamaica, the Group B leaders and early semi-final qualifiers with six points from two games, were set to face second-place Trinidad & Tobago (four points) on the artificial turf.


Odom Discharged From Hospital

After Lamar Odom opened his eyes Friday, days after being found unconscious in a legal Nevada brothel, the former basketball star reportedly has been discharged from a Las Vegas hospital.

E! News said Monday night that Odom has been discharged from Sunrise Hospital in Las Vegas and was headed to California for further treatment.

Earlier Monday, a member of Odom's family said he's "getting stronger."


Venezuela says no to OAS election observers

Venezuela said Monday it will not allow the Organization of American States to send observers to monitor December 6 legislative elections seen as crucial for country’s leftist government.

The OAS’s secretary-general Luis Almagro has pushed repeatedly to have observers monitor the elections, amid opposition fears the government might resort to fraud to retain control of the Congress.

But German Saltron, the Venezuelan government’s representative on human rights issues, rejected the OAS’s bid to send observers.

“Venezuela has no confidence in the OAS,” Saltron said on the sidelines of a meeting of organization’s Human Rights Commission.

“The OAS has certified coup d’etats, electoral fraud, and dictatorships. The OAS is not reliable,” he said.

So far, Venezuela has invited international observers only from UNASUR, a South American regional body.


Iran, Russia Undeterred by Slow-Go in Syria

Forces fighting for Syrian President Bashar al-Assad are struggling against rebels in the country’s northwest, despite substantial backing from Russia and Iran, according to U.S. officials. But they caution that both Russia and Tehran seem prepared to dig in and intensify their efforts.

“Pro-regime forces have had little success to date, despite a marked increase in Russian airstrikes in recent days,” a U.S. intelligence official told VOA on condition of anonymity.

Another U.S. official, who also was not authorized to discuss the Syrian offensive publicly, characterized the Russian and Iranian-backed offensive in northwest Syria as making only “incremental gains.”

“The [Syrian] opposition is definitely putting up a formidable fight in that area,” the official added.

In the meantime, Russian airstrikes on rebel positions are starting to take a toll.

Commanders with Fatah Halab [Conquest of Aleppo], which brings together more than 30 rebel factions U.S. officials and analysts also caution that the number of airstrikes targeting top rebel leaders is only likely to increase, as Russia expands its use of drones and other advanced intelligence gathering techniques.


Clinton Readies for High-stakes Benghazi Testimony

Democratic presidential candidate Hillary Clinton is preparing for high political drama on Thursday when she testifies before the House Select Committee probing the 2012 terrorist attacks that killed four Americans in Benghazi, Libya. Clinton was secretary of state at the time of the attacks and her testimony could have an impact on her White House hopes for 2016.

Republicans on the committee are expected to grill Clinton about the terror attacks that took four American lives, including U.S. Ambassador to Libya Chris Stevens, on September 11, 2012.