ICE nabs illegal Haitian immigrant allegedly connected to criminal terrorist organizations
The United States Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) agency says agents have arrested an illegal Haitian immigrant allegedly connected to criminal terrorist organizations.
ICE said agents arrested Dimitri Vorbe for violating the Immigration and Nationality Act and contributing to the destabilization of Haiti.
This case was investigated by ICE’s Homeland Security Investigations and Enforcement and Removal Operations, with the US Department of State’s Diplomatic Security Service and US Citizenship and Immigration Services’ Fraud Detection and National Security Directorate.
“The Department of State determined that Vorbe’s presence or activities in the United States would have potentially serious adverse foreign policy consequences for the United States, providing a basis for the charge of removability,” ICE said.
“Specifically, officials determined that he engaged in a campaign of violence and gang support that contributed to Haiti’s destabilization,” it added.
ICE said Vorbe is currently in ICE custody pending removal proceedings.
“This demonstrates the Trump administration’s firm commitment to protecting the American people, advancing our national security interests, and promoting regional security and stability,” ICE said.
Source-CMC
Swiss voters narrowly approve plan for electronic ID cards
Swiss voters have narrowly approved a plan to introduce voluntary electronic identity cards.
With all votes counted, 50.4% of those who voted said yes to the proposal, while 49.6% rejected it.
The closeness of the ballot is a surprise. Opinion polls had suggested up to 60% backed digital IDs, which also had the approval of the Swiss government, and both houses of parliament.
It was Switzerland's second vote on digital IDs. An earlier proposal was rejected in 2021, amid concerns the data would be held centrally, and controlled largely by private providers.
Sunday's revised proposal keeps the system in government hands. Data will be stored only on the smartphones of individual users, and digital IDs will be optional.
Citizens can continue to use national identity card if they choose, which has been standard for decades in Switzerland.
To further ease privacy concerns, a particular authority seeking information on a person – such as proof of age or nationality, for example – will only be able to check for those specific details.
It comes after the UK government announced plans earlier this week to introduce its own digital ID - which would be mandatory for employment - as part of efforts to curb the number of illegal migrants living and working in the country.
The proposed British digital ID would have fewer intended uses than the Swiss version, but has still raised concerns about privacy and data security.
Supporters of the Swiss system say it will make life much easier for everyone, allowing a range of bureaucratic procedures - from getting a telephone contract to proving you are old enough to buy a bottle of wine - to happen quickly online.
Opponents of digital ID cards, who gathered enough signatures to force another referendum on the issue, argue that the measure could still undermine individual privacy.
They also fear that, despite the new restrictions on how data is collected and stored, it could still be used to track people and for marketing purposes.
Switzerland has a long tradition of protecting its citizens' privacy. The banking secrecy laws, now much diluted, were designed to shield an individual's personal finances from the prying eyes of the state.
For years, Google Street View was controversial in Switzerland - and even today, following a ruling by the Swiss Federal Court, images taken close to schools, women's refuges, hospitals or prisons must be automatically blurred before going online.
Source-BBC
Selena Gomez marries music producer Benny Blanco
US pop star and actress Selena Gomez has married music producer Benny Blanco in a ceremony in California.
Gomez posted pictures to Instagram of her wearing a white halter-neck wedding gown and Blanco in a dark tuxedo, alongside the caption "9.27.25" bookended by love hearts.
The couple exchanged vows in Santa Barbara on Saturday in front of around 170 guests, including singer-songwriter
Taylor Swift, actor Paul Rudd, and Gomez' Only Murders in the Building co-stars Steve Martin and Martin Short, according to fashion magazine Vogue.
"My wife in real life," Blanco commented on his bride's post.
Gomez, 33, and Blanco, 37, became engaged in December 2024 after a year of dating, having previously collaborated on several music projects together.
The couple released the album I Said I Love You First in March, which explores their own love story.
They previously released the hits Same Old Love and Kill Em with Kindness in 2015, and the 2019 track I Can't Get Enough featuring Tainy and J Balvin.
Gomez starred in the Disney Channel's Wizards of Waverly Place before beginning her music career in the 2000s. She recently starred in the film Emilia Perez as Jessica Del Monte.
Blanco released his only solo studio album Friends Keep Secrets in 2018, and has produced records for the likes of Katy Perry, Britney Spears and Kesha.
Source- BBC
Four killed as suspect named in Michigan Mormon church shooting
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints was founded in the US by Joseph Smith in the 1800s, but its followers are now more commonly referred to as Mormons.
Mormons believe their church is a restoration of the Church as conceived by Jesus, and that other Christians have gone astray.
There is a strong focus on traditional family roles and values, and they oppose abortion, same-sex marriage and the consumption of alcohol.
Although there are Mormon churches all over the US, Utah has the highest population of people who identify as members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
Michigan police have also commented on the moment when the church-goers responded to the shooting incident, and how they sheltered children at a critical time.
Officials have now updated the death toll from the incident to four people - excluding the suspect who is also deceased.
Authorities also said that the entire church has not yet been cleared because of extensive fire damage, and that some people are still unaccounted for.
The motive remains unclear as police continue their investigation, led by the FBI.
"All indications" point to the suspect using an accelerant to light the church on fire, according to James Deir, Special Agent in Charge at the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.
He adds that authorities believe the accelerant the suspect used was gasoline.
Responding to a question about improvised explosive devices (IEDs), he says that some suspected explosive devices were found at the scene, but that officials cannot say whether the suspect used that to start the fire.
This is a developing story.
Source- BBC
Female Victim Succumbs to injuries
MARJORIE GAUDARD ASTWOOD has succumbed to injuries following an incident on 17th September.
Ms. Astwood, 37, of Long Bay, was pronounced deceased on 25th September at 9:05 pm while receiving medical attention in the Cayman Islands.
The Royal Turks and Caicos Islands Police Force extends condolences to the family and friends of Ms. Astwood.
At approximately 7:30 a.m. on 17th September, the Police Control Room received reports of gunshots being heard in the Tower Drive area of Long Bay.
On arrival, police officers and Emergency Medical Services personnel discovered Ms. Astwood had sustained gunshot wounds to the upper body. She was transported for urgent medical treatment at the Cheshire Hall Medical Center then medevaced overseas.
Thus far, there remains no definite motive for the shooting.
Investigators are appealing to anyone who may have witnessed or has information about this incident to contact the
Serious Crimes Unit at 231-1842 or submit tips anonymously via Crime Stoppers at 1-800-8477 (TIPS).
Additionally, individuals are encouraged to download the Crime Stoppers P3 app to share information anonymously.
New digital ID will be mandatory to work in the UK
Digital ID will be mandatory in order to work in the UK, as part of plans to tackle illegal migration.
Sir Keir Starmer said the new digital ID scheme would make it tougher to work in the UK illegally and offer "countless benefits" to citizens, while his senior minister Darren Jones said it could be "the bedrock of the modern state".
However, opposition parties argued the proposals would not stop people crossing the Channel in small boats.
The prime minister set out his plans in a broader speech to a gathering of world leaders, in which he said it had been "too easy" for people to work illegally in the UK because the centre-left had been "squeamish" about saying things that were "clearly true".
Addressing the Global Progressive Action Conference in London - attended by politicians including Australian Prime Minister Anthony Albanese and Canadian Prime Minister Mark Carney - Sir Keir said it was time to "look ourselves in the mirror and recognise where we've allowed our parties to shy away from people's concerns".
"It is not compassionate left-wing politics to rely on labour that exploits foreign workers and undercuts fair wages," he said.
"The simple fact is that every nation needs to have control over its borders. We do need to know who is in our country."
In a conversation following his speech, Sir Keir said he wanted the next election to be an "open fight" between Labour and Reform UK.
In response to the prime minister's speech, Reform UK said the public was "waking up to the fact Starmer is just continuing the Tory legacy of high taxes and mass immigration".
Despite having only five MPs, Nigel Farage's Reform UK party has been leading in the opinion polls for several months.
The prime minister suggested facing the challenge of Reform would be a big focus when he addresses party members at the Labour Party conference next week.
Sir Keir's government has been under pressure to tackle the issue of illegal migration, with more than 50,000 migrants arriving on small boats since Labour came to power.
Announcing his plans for the new digital IDs, Sir Keir said the scheme would "make it tougher to work illegally in this country, making our borders more secure".
He added: "It will also offer ordinary citizens countless benefits, like being able to prove your identity to access key services swiftly - rather than hunting around for an old utility bill."
Jones, who is the PM's chief secretary, said: "If we get this digital ID system working and the public being with us, that will be the bedrock of the modern state and will allow for really quite exciting public service reform in the future."
Another Labour prime minister, Sir Tony Blair, tried to introduce compulsory ID cards but the idea was scrapped by the Conservative-Lib Dem coalition in 2010.
However, Sir Keir has recently said he believes the debate has "moved on in the last 20 years" as "we all carry a lot more digital ID now than we did".
Labour believes its new proposal has public support, although more than a million people have signed a petition against the idea.
Conservative leader Kemi Badenoch said the plan would "do nothing to stop the boats" but would "end up being used against law-abiding citizens while crooks walk free".
She also expressed concern about the security of the data saying it would be a risk to put the information "in one database".
Liberal Democrat leader Sir Ed Davey said his party would "fight tooth and nail" against the scheme which would "add to our tax bills and bureaucracy, whilst doing next to nothing to tackle channel crossings".
Source- BBC
Officers Graduate From Regional Epidemiology Training
The Ministry of Health and Human Services proudly celebrates the graduation of four members of the National Epidemiology and Research Unit (NERU), who successfully completed the Caribbean Regional Field Epidemiology and Laboratory Training Programme (CR-FELTP) – Level II.
The graduates are:
· Ms. Sasha Walrond – National Epidemiologist
· Ms. Kendra Malcolm – Deputy National Epidemiologist
· Ms. Daisylyn Chin – Biostatistician
· Ms. Natasha Robinson – Health Surveillance Officer
The officers officially graduated during a hybrid ceremony held on Friday, 19th September 2025, at the Hilton Trinidad & Conference Centre.
The CR-FELTP Level II programme, implemented by the Caribbean Public Health Agency (CARPHA), is an 8-month advanced training initiative designed to strengthen epidemiology, surveillance, and laboratory capacity across the region. The programme was funded by the Pandemic Fund, with CARPHA as the Executing Agency and the Inter-American Development Bank (IDB) as the Implementing Entity.
Over the course of 8-months, the four NERU officers participated in 9 intensive online sessions and a five-day in-person workshop in Port of Spain, Trinidad and Tobago, in February 2025. The workshop provided advanced training in outbreak investigation, surveillance, and data analysis using specialised tools such as R statistical software. Through this training, participants honed their skills in interpreting surveillance data and applying evidence-based decision-making to public health challenges.
Turks and Caicos Islands was one of five CARPHA Member States represented in this cohort, alongside the Bahamas, Grenada, Guyana, and Saint Vincent and the Grenadines.
Commenting on this significant achievement, Hon. Minister of Health and Human Services, Kyle Knowles stated: “This accomplishment marks a significant milestone for the department and by extension the Ministry of Health and Human Services, as it expands the country’s pool of trained public health professionals. This will strengthen TCI’s capacity to monitor disease trends, rapidly detect and respond to outbreaks, and inform policy through high-quality epidemiological data.”
NERU remains committed to fostering professional growth within its team and advancing evidence-based public health practice in the Turks and Caicos Islands.
Environmental Health Department Investigating Bottled Water Complaint In South Caicos
The Environmental Health Department (EHD) is currently investigating a complaint concerning bottled water branded as Gericó Water, which was imported aboard the Dominican vessel Don Augustin P that arrived in South Caicos on September 17, 2025.
The complaint, which reported a foul odor emanating from the product, has been assessed and found to have merit. According to the vessel’s cargo manifest, a total of 1,200 cases of Gericó Water were imported. At this time, the Department cannot confirm how many of these cases may be affected.
As a precautionary measure, EHD is advising all residents of South Caicos who purchased Gericó Water from the vessel to immediately discontinue use if a foul odor is detected and bring the product directly to the Environmental Health Department Office in South Caicos.
To determine the extent of the issue, the department will be collecting random samples from the affected inventory for testing at the National Public Health Laboratory.
The EHD remains committed to safeguarding public health and will provide further updates as the investigation progresses.
Additionally, the department wishes to clarify that an advisory currently circulating via WhatsApp in South Caicos was not authorized for release. The message was an internal draft prepared for review that was inappropriately shared while the investigation is still ongoing. Official statements issued by the Environmental Health Department, such as this press release, are the only verified sources of information.
For additional information or guidance, please contact the Environmental Health Department at 338-6231 / 338-2143 / 338-2144.
Tropical Wave to effect TCI from today
Tropical Wave to effect TCI from today. No effects from Tropical Storm Humberto at this time.
The Tropical Wave is currently in the region of The Central Caribbean Sea.
This wave is expected to continue producing a large area of disorganized showers, thunderstorms, and gusty winds across portions of the Dominican Republic, and the Turks and Caicos Islands today.
An area of low pressure is expected to form along the wave tonight or early Friday when it moves near the southeast Bahamas.
This low is expected to become a tropical depression when it is in the vicinity of the central and northwest Bahamas in a couple of days.
Interests in The Turks and Caicos Islands, The Dominican Republic, Haiti and The Bahamas should monitor the progress of this system as heavy rains and gusty winds are likely across these regions regardless of development.
T&T humbled by South Africa to remain winless at World Youth Cup
Trinidad and Tobago slumped to their third straight defeat in the Netball World Youth Cup when they were trounced 105-15 by South Africa here on Monday.
Competing in the 18th match of the tournament, South Africa took control of the contest from the opening whistle against the lesser ranked opponents.
South Africa’s dominant defence forced multiple turnovers, as they relentlessly hunted every ball and converted their opportunities with precision.
They quickly rushed out to a 15-0 lead before T&T finally got on the scoresheet after nine minutes of play.
By the end of the first period, South Africa held a comfortable 26-3 lead and at halftime they had stretched their advantage to 43 (50-7).
Despite holding a substantial lead, South Africa still kept their feet on the gas and produced an outstanding defensive display in the third quarter that prevented T&T from scoring a single goal, while netting 27 goals of their own to increase their advantage to 77-7 heading into the final quarter.
T&T had their best offensive performance of the match in the fourth quarter, netting eight goals, but by then the match was long over, with South Africa adding a further 28 goals to their tally.
Source-CMC










