India Prime MInister to visit Trinidad from Wednesday

India’s Prime Minister, Narendra Modi, arrives here on Wednesday for a two-day official visit further highlighting the ties between the two countries “founded on deep-rooted cultural and familial ties.

“There is a great significance of the forthcoming visit of Prime Minister Narendra Modi to Trinidad and Tobago,” said the Indian High Commissioner to Trinidad and Tobago, Dr Pradeep Rajpurohit.

“There are warm and historic ties between India and Trinidad and Tobago, which are founded on deep-rooted cultural and familial ties. There are a lot of similarities in the way of life of the people of the two countries. The visit of Prime Minister of India is likely to give a fresh impetus to this relationship. There seems to be a great excitement among the people here for this visit,” he told the Newsday newspaper.

Modi’s visit here is the second leg part of a five-nation trip that includes Ghana, Argentina, Brazil, and Namibia.

He had been invited to Trinidad and Tobago by Prime Minister Kamla Persad Bissessar , soon after leading her United National Congress (UNC) led coalition to an overwhelming victory in the April 28 general election.

During his visit here, he will pay a courtesy call on President Christine Kangaloo and meet with Prime Minister Persad Bissessar as well as interact with the large Indian diaspora .

Rajpurohit said that Modi, who would be paying his second visit to the Caribbean in less than a year after having visited Guyana last November 2024 for the second India-Caricom Summit, said he hopes the visit will also help promote bilateral trade and overall economic engagement between the two countries.

“I feel that there is immense potential to encourage the current level of bilateral trade, which is about US$341 million in financial year 2024-25,” he said, noting also that India has been at the forefront in building capacities of the youth of friendly countries, especially in the Global South.

“The Indian Technical and Economic Co-operation (ITEC) is our flagship capacity building programme under which more than 15,000 candidates / officials from all over the world are trained in India every year.

“For Trinidad and Tobago, there is a provision of 85 ITEC slots annually. Courses have been designed for a wide range of sectors in our world class institutions across India. The feedback received from the candidates, who have undergone training under ITEC, have been highly encouraging,” he told the newspaper.

Source- CMC


Telecommunications Commission featured in Insight & Impact

The Ministry of Public Safety and Utilities is pleased to release the second issue of Insight & Impact, which is dedicated to the Telecommunications Commission and the remarkable evolution of telecommunications in the Turks and Caicos Islands.

This special edition offers readers a deeper look into the identity, mandate, and growth of the Telecommunications Commission highlighting the dedicated work of the team and the Commission’s central role in advancing digital connectivity, regulatory excellence, and technological innovation. The issue explores key milestones, current priorities, and the future of telecoms in TCI.

The featured article in this issue showcases the evolution of FLOW, formerly Cable & Wireless, and its foundational role in shaping telecommunications in the Turks and Caicos Islands. From its early beginnings as the sole provider of fixed-line telephone services to its transformation into a modern digital service provider, the story of FLOW is deeply intertwined with the technological and economic development of our nation. This historical reflection charts the journey from analog systems and operator-assisted calls to the introduction of mobile networks, internet services, and the emergence of full-scale digital connectivity marking a pivotal chapter in the country’s advancement.

Hon. Otis C. Morris, Minister of Public Safety and Utilities with responsibility for the Telecommunications Commission on this issue provides that “I am proud to present the second issue of Insight & Impact, which shines a powerful light on one of the most transformative chapters in our national development. Telecommunications is not just about devices and data, it’s about bridging distances, opening doors, and building futures. This edition tells the story of how we got here, through the lens of FLOW, our first telecommunications provider, and through the work of the Telecommunications Commission, which continues to guide our digital progress. It is a compelling read that speaks to the power of vision, resilience, and innovation in connecting our people to opportunity."

As the Ministry continues to support a digitally inclusive and future-ready Turks and Caicos Islands, this edition of Insight & Impact offers both reflection and inspiration — a reminder of how far we’ve come and the promise of what lies ahead.


Citizens Complain about Concrete Debris on Public Roadways

The Ministry of Physical Planning and Infrastructure Development (MPPID) wishes to address a pressing and escalating issue that compromises public safety, degrades the aesthetic quality of our communities, and threatens the longevity of our road infrastructure.

It has come to our attention that several constituencies are experiencing widespread accumulation of gravel, hardened concrete, and related debris on public roadways. These materials are predominantly the result of improper handling during the transportation of concrete mix to construction sites.

Particularly affected areas include:
The Five Cays roundabout
Industrial Drive, near the FCIBC Bank roundabout
The route from the FCIBC Bank roundabout to Missick & Stanbrook Attorneys-at-Law
The Suzie Turn roundabout
Additional sites currently under investigation

These hazardous conditions are unacceptable. Loose aggregate and hardened concrete not only mar the visual landscape but also pose severe risks to motorists, pedestrians, and maintenance crews. Furthermore, such debris accelerates wear and tear on our roads, increasing public maintenance costs.

The Government has committed over $50 million over the next three years for new road construction and major upgrades, including overlays and infrastructure improvements. This level of investment requires active protection to ensure our roadways remain safe, functional, and durable for future generations.

The Ministry of PPID will not tolerate the continued discharge of concrete, gravel, or related materials on public roads by residents, especially concrete suppliers, without immediate cleanup.

In accordance with the Public and Environmental Health Ordinance, such actions are illegal:

Public and Environmental Health Act, 8.04, Section 31(b): "Any person who damages any booth, bench, public sanitary convenience, or other structure (including roads) provided for public use is liable to a fine of $1,000 or six months’ imprisonment."

As such, we are directing all concrete companies to immediately address and remediate road spillages. Failure to comply will result in regulatory action, including financial penalties via tickets being issued, clean-up cost recovery, suspension of operations, or other legal recourse as appropriate.

In addition, closed-circuit television (CCTV) monitoring will be used to enforce compliance. Repeat offenders caught on surveillance may face escalating sanctions, including license suspension.

The Ministry also appeals to the public to report any instances of road debris or concrete spillage by calling 941-8724. Let us work together to preserve road safety and uphold the pristine image of our "Beautiful by Nature" Islands.”


Three to Appear in the TCI Courts

The Royal Turks and Caicos Islands Police Force (RTCIPF) has charged FEDELENS GERNIER, a 26-year-old Haitian national, with Unlawful Entry into the Turks and Caicos
Islands.

Mr. GERNIER, who resides in Dock Yard, was stopped and searched by officers attached to the Tactical Unit during a routine operation.

A review of his mobile phone revealed images of concern, prompting officers to take him into custody on SUSPICION OF GANG AFFILIATION.

Subsequent investigations confirmed that Mr. GERNIER had no legal status to be in the country.

The accused remains in custody and will appear in court on the next available date.

Meanwhile, the police has formally charged two individuals in connection with separate incidents of violence reported in Providenciales.

ZEKE HAMILTON, a 24-year-old resident of Blue Hills, has been charged with two counts of Assault Occasioning Actual Bodily Harm, contrary to Section 27 of the Offences Against the Person Act, Chapter 3.08.

The charge stems from an incident that occurred on June 5, 2025, in which Mr. Hamilton is alleged to have assaulted a female and her 18-month-old daughter.

The accused was charged on June 7 and granted $ 2,500 with one surety. He is expected to appear before a Magistrate on June 30.

In a separate matter, ANDREINA POLO, a 34-year-old resident of Five Cays, has been charged with Wounding with Intent, contrary to Section 10 of the Offences Against the Person Act, Chapter 3.08.

The offence allegedly occurred on December 25, 2024, around 8:00 p.m., when Ms. Polo allegedly wounded a female. The accused was charged on June 24, 2025, following an
investigation and was granted $3,000 bail with surety.

Ms. Polo is scheduled to appear before a Magistrate on July 14.


Police conducts major operations in Provo

The Royal Turks and Caicos Islands Police Force, alongside our partners, the Turks and Caicos Islands Regiment, Turks and Caicos Islands Border Force, and our Jamaica Constabulary Force and Barbados Police Service counterparts continue to maintain round-the-clock visibility in key areas with a firm zero-tolerance approach aimed at disrupting organized crime networks and restoring community safety.

Recent operations have focused heavily on Five Cays, Dock Yard, Kew Town, and Blue Hills, with high-visibility vehicle checkpoints (VCPs), snap raids, and mobile and foot patrols being deployed.

These efforts are designed to disrupt gang movement, deter criminal activity, and gather vital intelligence directly from the communities.

The Force leadership, led by Commissioner Fitz Bailey, along with Acting Deputy Commissioner Kendall Grant and Acting Assistant Commissioner Dwight Gardiner, were present as part of the operations, one of which took place in Five Cays on 26th June.

The Executive supported frontline officers and assured members of the public that Officers are working relentlessly to secure the safety of their communities and, by extension, the TCI.


Fire gutted wooden structure in Blue Hills

The Royal Turks and Caicos Islands Police Force (RT&CIPF) responded to reports of a fire in Blue Hills at approximately 3:31on on Friday June 27, 2025.

RTC News was informed that the fires occured on Mary Jane Lane.

Upon arrival, police officers and firefighters found several wooden structures completely engulfed in flames.

Officers promptly took action to ensure public safety by evacuating the affected area.

No injuries were reported; however, checks remain ongoing to determine the number of displaced individuals.

The fire is now under control this evening.

Officers are working closely with fire officials to ascertain the cause of the blaze.


St Lucian hotelier becomes first Caribbean recipient of international award

The president of the Caribbean Hotel and Tourism Association (CHTA), Sanovnik Destang, has become the first Caribbean hotelier to receive the prestigious AAHOA/NABHOOD Outstanding Hotelier Award.

It said that this is the first time a Caribbean hotelier will receive the award, jointly presented by the Asian American Hotel Owners Association (AAHOA) and the National Association of Black Hotel Owners, Operators & Developers (NABHOOD).

It recognises hoteliers who exemplify exceptional leadership, innovation, and a commitment to creating opportunities within the hospitality industry.

“Recipients demonstrate vision, dedication, and the ability to elevate hotel performance and community impact,” the CHTA said, adding that the award will be presented during the Hilton Awards Luncheon on July 23, as part of the 29th Annual International African American Hotel Ownership & Investment Summit & Trade Show to be held here.

The St. Lucian hotelier is a chartered accountant and chartered financial analyst, whose “leadership and forward-thinking approach were further affirmed through his appointment as CHTA President in 2024, where he continues to advocate for regional cooperation and innovation across the tourism sector,” the CHTA added.

Source-CMC

 


Edgecombe selected third overall by 76ers in NBA draft

VJ Edgecombe of the Bahamas created history on Wednesday when he was drafted third overall by the Philadelphia 76ers in the 2025 NBA Draft.

By doing so, the 19-year-old guard became Baylor University’s (BU) highest draft pick in program history.

Edgecombe became the fifth player from BU to earn a top-10 pick, the previous highest being Ekpe Udoh at No. 6 overall in 2010 by the Golden State Warriors.

The Bears are the only program in the country with top-19 picks in each of the last five drafts.

Edgecombe, who was part of the Bahamian national team last summer alongside multiple current NBA players could be a long-term complement to All-Star Tyrese Maxey in Philadelphia’s backcourt.

In his lone year at BU, Edgecombe averaged 15.0 points, 5.6 rebounds and 3.2 assists per game, while shooting 43.6 per cent from the field, 34.0 per cent from three and 78.2 per cent from the free throw line.

He was named the Big 12 Rookie of the Year and named to both the All-Big 12 and Big 12 All-Freshman teams.

Source- CMC


Brad Pitt's Los Angeles home burglarized: Law enforcement sources

Brad Pitt's Los Angeles home was ransacked by burglars Wednesday night, law enforcement sources told ABC News.

Officers responded to the home in the Los Feliz area around 10:30 p.m. PT. Three suspects had jumped over a fence to gain entry to the yard, then broke in through a front window, sources said.

The home was "ransacked," with an unknown number of items taken, according to police. Police are investigating and will utilize any surveillance video from the home and the area.

The LAPD did not officially confirm the occupant of the home, but sources confirmed to ABC News that it was Pitt's residence.

It's unclear if the star was targeted or if, as is often the case, it was just another pricey home that was hit that happened to be his, sources said.

The actor was not home at the time; he has been publicly on the road promoting the new movie F1.

ABC News has reached out to his representative for comment.

Source- ABC


Supreme Court decision bolsters efforts to defund Planned Parenthood

The Supreme Court on Thursday said individual Medicaid recipients do not have a right to sue over their state's decision to cut off Planned Parenthood from the government-funded health insurance program for low-income residents.

The 6-3 decision, which broke along ideological lines, was a significant victory for conservative efforts to defund the private health clinic network, clearing the way for other states to follow suit.

"The Supreme Court rightly restored the ability of states like South Carolina to steward limited public resources to best serve their citizens," said John Bursch, the attorney who defended South Carolina before the high court.

Planned Parenthood draws more than a third of its revenue from government grants, contracts and Medicaid reimbursements for non-abortion care, like cancer screenings and contraception treatments.

"Today's decision is a grave injustice that strikes at the very bedrock of American freedom and promises to send South Carolina deeper into a health care crisis," Planned Parenthood South Atlantic president Paige Johnson said in a statement.

The organization, which said it has served more than 50,000 state Medicaid beneficiaries so far this year, vowed to continue operations at its two South Carolina clinics.

Source- ABC