UFC star Conor McGregor avoids jail with guilty plea
UFC fighter Conor McGregor has pleaded guilty to disorderly conduct in a deal with prosecutors to avoid jail time.
McGregor had faced multiple criminal charges stemming from an altercation in April with other fighters.
As part of his deal he is required to undergo anger management treatment. The plea will not affect his US work visa.
In a statement outside the New York City courthouse, the 30-year-old thanked the judge and prosecutors "for allowing me to move forward".
He will also be required to fulfil five days of community service, and in exchange, will be cleared of criminal charges.
McGregor had been facing 12 criminal charges related to the incident at Brooklyn's Barclays Center on 5 April.
In April, McGregor was caught on video throwing a metal dolly into the window of a bus stationed inside the Barclays Center loading dock. The bus was carrying a group of UFC athletes and employees.
Two UFC fighters -- Chiesa, a lightweight, and Borg, a flyweight -- reported suffering minor injuries to authorities and were ultimately pulled from their respective bouts on a scheduled pay-per-view event on April 7.
Republicans launch bid to impeach US deputy attorney general
Republicans have launched a bid to remove the Department of Justice official overseeing the Russia inquiry dogging Donald Trump's presidency.
House of Representatives conservatives have filed articles of impeachment in an effort to oust Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein.
The articles were introduced by Representatives Mark Meadows and Jim Jordan, who accuse him of stonewalling their requests for information.
Mr Rosenstein denies the accusations.
The articles of impeachment, which were filed on Wednesday evening, criticise Mr Rosenstein for allegedly failing to comply with requests for documents relating to special counsel Robert Mueller's investigation into possible ties between the Trump campaign and Russia.
Impeachment would have to be approved by a majority in the House and backed by two-thirds of the US Senate to convict Mr Rosenstein, which makes the plan a long shot.
Former cricket great Imran Khan claims victory in disputed Pakistan election
Former cricket star Imran Khan has claimed victory in Pakistan's disputed elections, which have been marred by violence and claims of vote-rigging.
The official results from Wednesday's vote have not yet been announced. But leaders of almost every political party except Khan's have alleged ballot-rigging, with some claiming that monitors did not receive final counts or were asked to leave polling stations before tallying was finished.
In a speech on Wednesday afternoon, Khan promised a new method of governance, placing a heavy emphasis on fighting corruption and building Pakistan's economy."Today God has taken me to that level, given me an opportunity of a dream. God has given me that chance to fulfill that dream," he said.
As of Thursday evening, it was still unclear whether Khan's center-right Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf (PTI) would secure enough seats in the National Assembly to win an outright majority. Ahead of any official announcement, the 65-year-old's supporters were already celebrating in the streets of Lahore and Islamabad, dancing and waving flags bearing his image.
A victory by Khan -- who has presented himself as a "change" candidate bent on building a "new Pakistan" -- would be historic.
Bahamian Shanty Towns Raided
Authorities arrested 35 people during a joint law enforcement operation in shantytowns and other areas in New Providence yesterday.
Officers attached to the Royal Bahamas Defence Force, the Department of Immigration and the Royal Bahamas Police Force executed an island-wide sweep targeting “prolific offenders, wanted suspects” and other people believed to be associated with criminal activities.
Kirklyn Neely, who heads the Department of Immigration’s Enforcement Unit, said several people were detained for being in The Bahamas illegally, but he did not provide a figure.
Outside the House of Assembly, Minister of National Security Marvin Dames said he had not received a briefing on the operation, but suggested the public should not be surprised by it.
“This is not the first time that officers would have operated in shantytown areas,” he said.“This is part of our overall crime strategy and we will go wherever we need to go to seek out those persons who are breaking the law and who are disrupting the normal flow of our society.
“You want to be safe don’t you? I want to be.”
The operations came about two weeks ahead of the government’s August 10 deadline for residents whose homes go against the building code to move.
Providenciales Landfills a blaze
Providenciales Solid Waste Disposal Site
The Environmental Health Department (EHD) is an arm of the Ministry of Health, Agriculture, Sports and Human Services that is concerned with all aspects of the natural and built environment that may affect human health. One of the functions of EHD is solid waste management which includes the solid waste disposal sites throughout the Turks and Caicos Islands. On Wednesday July 25th 2018, the Director of Environmental Health was informed of a fire at the Providenciales dump site at the tire section. EHD contacted the Fire Department and Police for assistance to conduct the following:
•Extinguish the fire
•Provide EHD with an investigation report
EHD wishes to advise the residents of Providenciales especially those living in the Wheeland and Chalk Sound areas, that the department is addressing the current fire at the disposal site with the contractor.
We wish to assure the public that we are committed to safe-guarding public health while also creating an environment which is healthy and aesthetically pleasing to both residents and visitors.
SOURCE TCIG PRESS OFFICE
TCIG APPOINTS LEANDREA MISSICK AS EXECUTIVE ADMINISTRATOR
The Office of the Deputy Governor is pleased to congratulate Leandrea Missick on her appointment to the position of Executive Administrator within the Ministry of Tourism, Environment, Heritage and Gaming.
Ms. Missick holds an Associate’s Degree in Hospitality Tourism Management from the Turks and Caicos Islands Community College and a Bachelor’s of Science Degree, majoring in Computer Information Sciences and a minor in Sociology from Barry University.
After graduating from the University, she returned home to the Turks and Caicos Islands where she was employed by Scotiabank (TCI) Ltd in Grand Turk as a teller in January 2012. During that time, each quarter she was awarded certificates of achievement for outstanding performance and 100% balancing ratio for top teller of the Branch, and at the end of the year she was awarded as top performing teller for all TCI branches.
In December, 2013, she was promoted to Personal Banking Officer and because of her outstanding performance in meeting the Bank’s expectations in executing the guidelines and polices, and reaching arrival targets set by the bank, she was further recognized, but it did not stop there. Earlier in the year, Leandrea was awarded Best of the Best nominee for the most outstanding performance in the Grand Turk Branch.
Comment on her new appointment, Ms. Missick stated; “In my previous employment, I have been able to interact with persons across the entire Turks and Caicos Islands. However, I felt that the time came for me to give directly back to my country by taking advantage of the opportunity to join the Civil Service. I intend to carry forward the same energy, professionalism and commitment to foster the growth and development of not only the Ministry but the Service as a whole.”
Deputy Governor, Hon. Anya Williams stated; “We are pleased to welcome Ms. Leandrea Missick to the Turks and Caicos Islands Civil Service and to have her join our team in the Ministry of Tourism, Environment, Heritage and Gaming. We hope that she will find her time in the public service to be most engaging and will take full advantage of the opportunities provided to her.”
SOURCE- TCIG PRESS OFFICE
RODNEY COX APPOINTED AS PRINCIPAL OF MARJORIE BASDEN HIGH SCHOOL
Office of the Deputy Governor is pleased to congratulate Mr. Rodney Cox on his appointment to the role of Principal, Marjorie Basden High School.
Mr. Cox holds a Teacher’s Diploma in Industrial Arts (Technical Drawing, Metalwork & Woodwork) from Mico Teacher's College, Jamaica; a Bachelor of Education Degree in General Technology (Technical Drawing, AutoCAD & Woodwork) from University of Technology, Jamaica; and a Master of Science Degree in Leadership from Walden University in Minneapolis, Minnesota.
Mr. Cox is a product of the Marjorie Basden High School (then Pierson High). After completing his Teacher Education training, he returned home to serve his Alma Mater. During his 26 years of service there, he worked as teacher of Industrial Arts, Physical Education and as coach of numerous sporting teams/events. He has served as the Head of the Technical Vocational Department for 9 years, then as Vice Principal for 10 years, and most recently as the Acting Principal for the Marjorie Basden High School.
Elated with his new appointment to Principal, Mr. Rodney Cox stated; “I am indeed honored to be given the opportunity to lead this esteemed organization. I made a decision years ago that I would remain and serve my community, despite the fact that many were moving on to what they considered greener pastures. I have dedicated many years of my life to the development of this organization. I have served in many capacities and under the leadership of other principals and vice principals, from whom I have learned a lot; and I have upgraded my knowledge and skills in the field of education during my time of service as well. I view this appointment as an opportunity to utilize this wealth of experience and knowledge gained through the years to expand upon the foundation laid by my forerunners, and leave a legacy worthy of emulation for those who will come after me.”
Deputy Governor, Hon. Anya Williams stated; “I would like to congratulate Mr. Cox on his appointment to the role of Principal of the Marjorie Basden High School, which follows on from the promotion of former Principal Mr. David Bowen to the post of Education Officer within the Ministry of Education. Having dedicated over 20 years to the education sector and particularly to his own alma mater the Marjorie Basden High School, I am sure that this appointment is very special to Mr. Cox and look forward to great outcomes from him and from this noble institution going forward.”
SOURCE - TCIG PRESS OFFICE
Demi Lovato 'in Los Angeles hospital for suspected overdose'
Pop singer Demi Lovato is being treated in a Los Angeles hospital after a suspected drug overdose.The Los Angeles Police Department responded on Tuesday to a medical emergency in the Hollywood Hills, where the singer lives.
The 25-year-old was reportedly found unconscious and treated at the scene with naloxone, an anti-opioid medicine. She is currently awake and breathing at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center, a family spokesman has said.
Demi is awake and with her family who want to express thanks to everyone for the love, prayers and support," the spokesman said. "Some of the information being reported is incorrect and they respectfully ask for privacy."
Lovato has struggled with substance abuse for years, and was feared to have relapsed in recent weeks. In a single released last month, Sober, she sings: "Mommy, I'm so sorry I'm not sober anymore. And daddy please forgive me for the drinks spilled on the floor."
The song ends with the lines: "I'm sorry that I'm here again, I promise I'll get help/It wasn't my intention, I'm sorry to myself."
The track release followed Lovato marking six years of sobriety in March this year. She was due to complete the North American leg of her Tell Me You Love Me world tour with a concert in Atlantic City, New Jersey, on Thursday, but reports say that date has now been cancelled.
Serena Williams says she is being 'discriminated' against over doping tests
Serena Williams says she is a victim of "discrimination" as she is the most drug tested American tennis player.The 23-time Grand Slam singles champion made the claim in a tweet on Tuesday, after doping officials visited her.
The American had previously expressed frustration about the volume of her tests earlier this month.
"Out of all the players it's been proven I'm the one getting tested the most. Discrimination? I think so," said the 36-year-old.
An article published website Deadspin in June revealed that Williams had been tested out of competition by the US Anti-Doping Agency (Usada) on five occasions in 2018.
It also claimed the player was not present when Usada officials visited her home on 14 June - Williams stated that the tester showed up 12 hours earlier than the agreed time. It was eventually marked as a "missed test" - three of those would result in a Usada doping violation.
At the time of publication of the Deadspin article, Williams had been tested more than twice as many times as other top American players - male or female.
"I never knew that I was tested so much more than everyone else," said Williams. "Until I read that article I didn't realise it was such a discrepancy with me as well as against the other players that they listed, at least the American players - both male and female."
Ebola outbreak in Congo declared over, but the risk can remain
The Ministry of Health in the Democratic Republic of Congo officially declared on Tuesday that the country's battle against the Ebola outbreak has come to an end, according to the World Health Organization
The government of Congo declared an outbreak of Ebolahemorrhagic fever in May, the country's ninth recorded outbreak. According to the Ministry of Health, 54 cases of Ebola virus were recorded during the outbreak, including 33 deaths.
WHO provided guidance to the ministry to declare the outbreak over if no other cases were confirmed and two full incubation periods of 21 days each have passed, starting the day after the last Ebola patient was released from care. The last patient was released after blood-testing negative for the Ebola virus on June 12.
"Perhaps because of climate change, because of changes in reservoir animals or vectors, and because of human encroachment on animal populations, we're seeing more and more urban outbreaks of these kinds of high-threat pathogens -- and that poses a very different set of risks," a WHO spokesperson said.
However with the additional support from many other organizations -- including the United Nations, the World Food Program, USAID, the Wellcome Trust, the World Bank and several countries -- more funding toward the Ebola response was provided to WHO. Hundreds of health workers and supplies were shipped in and out of the affected areas.
