NEWS RELEASE: TCI DEMONSTRATES ECONOMIC STABILITY WITH THIRD YEAR OF SOVEREIGN BBB+ RATING

Global ratings agency Standard & Poor’s (S&P) has maintained its BBB+ rating with a stable outlook for the Turks and Caicos Islands (TCI) it announced Wednesday, 29th June 2016.

This is TCI’s third consecutive year with such a strong grading.  A team from S&P made the annual visit to the islands in May and met with a range of officials as part of the review process.

 “This rating represents continued recognition of TCI’s economic growth and stability due to sound fiscal policy and prudent financial management. However, as pointed out by S&P, growth is now restricted by short supply in available rooms as new construction is being frustrated by ongoing litigation”, said Minister of Finance, Washington Misick.

The S&P report reiterated that TCI’s relationship with the U.K. provides a benefit to local economic policies and judicial and institutional stability, all of which further support the ratings.

“TCI continues to see strong economic growth in its tourist-based economy, largely due to the ongoing economic recovery in its largest visitor market, the U.S. However, we expect that with existing hotels at capacity, tourist activity is likely to moderate in 2016, with real GDP growing about 3% in 2016, down from nearly 6% in 2015. Real GDP growth has been very strong in recent years and we expect it return to more sustainable levels in the medium term. We project that per capita GDP growth could average 1.3% annually in the next three-to-four years,” quoted from the S&P Global Rating Report.

The BBB+ rating is a strong factor in attracting foreign direct investment to TCI and building confidence amongst its existing business community. 

Commenting on the announcement His Excellency, Governor Peter Beckingham welcomed the decision, stating; “This is great news for the TCI, and a welcome re-affirmation from a top rating agency that our economy is fundamentally sound and that we continue to strengthen our finances.”

He added; “This is to the credit of everyone involved, and more significant given the recent market turmoil.  I am delighted we have kept this rating for three consecutive years.”


“16th ANNUAL JADOT CUP DINNER (STELLE) & GOLF TOURNAMENT (PROVO GOLF CLUB) RAISES OVER $30,000 FOR THE TURKS & CAICOS AIDS AWARENESS FOUNDATION (TCAAF)”

Charity Golf Event, Dinner and Auction Raised Money for the Turks and Caicos AIDS 

Awareness Foundation (TCAAF) and the Edward C Gartland Youth Centre 

Sunday, June 26th 2016 – Twenty two teams took part in the TCAAF’s 16th Annual Golf Tournament which commenced at 1:30pm.  It was a great turn out and fun was had by all who attended.

According to Jadot Cup Chairman and TCAAF Director Terry Drummey “The 16th annual Jadot cup was the most memorable and best so far.  Almost 90 golfers came out this year, many of whom take part year after year and we would like to thank all of them for their continuous support.  Our congratulation to this year’s winning team: The Casino Royale Team! A special thank you also goes out to all the companies that donated along with Wine Cellar, Dave and his the Provo Golf Club, who helped to make our 16th year  huge success.”  Director of Golf at the Provo Golf Club, Dave Douglas highlighted “This year’s Jadot Cup event and Silent Auction was a record breaking fundraiser for the Provo Golf Club in its 16 years of operation.”

In conjunction with the golf tournament the Wine Cellar hosted its 16th Annual Jadot Cup dinner at Stelle, Gansevoort on Friday, 24th June 2016 with a menu of delectable dishes and intriguing wines. The sold out event was enjoyed by all and a portion of the proceeds was donated to the TCAAF. A silent auction was held during the evening to raise further funds for the TCAAF.  Mr. Galmo Williams, TCAAF Patron, said “Hats off to Gansevoort team for hosting an unforgettable food and wine pairing. Their staff’s professionalism and courteous manner was icing on the cake; A special ‘Thank You’ to our Silent Auction sponsors, who donated excellent prizes which inspired wallets to open eagerly. We would also like to thank the patrons that bid generously on the silent auction prizes knowing that it was all going to a worthy cause.”

The weekend’s event not only helps to raise awareness of the TCAAF but also assists with funds towards its flagship project - the Edward Gartland Youth Centre in Downtown, Providenciales. The Centre which caters to young people between the ages of 10-18 years old has had over 1600 young people registered. 

The funds raised by TCAAF assists the Youth Centre with their various extracurricular programmes and projects for the young people who frequent the centre and the operational costs of the centre. Being able to make a difference in the lives of the youth in the Turks & Caicos Islands through the various programs, including volleyball, basketball, tennis, art & craft, computers and dance to name a few, is very rewarding.

We would like to thank all of our Silent Auction and Hole sponsors of the 2016 Jadot Cup, who helped make it a success:

 

 


Long Bay defeats Provo Christian

Taking you back to a story carried earlier on Monday. We have the official scores from the TCICA Summer School Cricket Competition, which was played on Saturday 25th June 2016, at the Downtown Ball Park Providenciales; with Long Bay defeating Community Christian.

Michael Pereria told RTC Sports that The match was played with great enthusiasm and interest. 

Long bay high batted first and scored 63 runs from a 15 overs, with Terry Abel top scoring with 26 runs.

Bowling for Community Christian, Bradly Desronvil took 3 wickets for 10 runs.

In reply, Community Christian was dismissed for 21 runs from 13. 2.

Man of the match was awarded to Terry Abel.

Pereria told RTC Sports that the TCICA is hoping to have an inter-island tournament in October 2016 which will begin to identify the talent while rejuvenating cricket throughout the islands.

 


41 year old male charged

ROYAL TURKS AND CAICOS ISLANDS POLICE FORCE

 PRESS RELEASE

**For Immediate Release**

41 year old male charged 

On Monday 11th July 2016, Immigration Officials have formally charged and cautioned a 41-year-old male of Blue Hills Providenciales for two (2) counts of assisting illegal immigrants and one (1) count of harboring.

The charges stemmed from the report of two missing Indian nationals Harwinder SINGH and Kulwinder Kumar CHOPRA who arrived on Providenciales on Sunday 19th June 2016 from Nassau Bahamas via InterCaribbean Airways flight #Jy271, they were to be transited to the Dominican Republic on the same date but they escape before reaching the check-in counter and left the Airport.

Around 1pm on Friday 1st July 2016, during a joint operation by Royal Turks and Caicos Islands Police and Immigration Task Force, the duo was found at a home in Blue Hills.

They were arrested and taken to the Detention Centre for processing.

The 41-year-old male was arrested and will be taken to court #1 on Thursday 14th July 2016.


Man arrested for numerous offences during protest

ROYAL TURKS AND CAICOS ISLANDS POLICE FORCE

**Immediate Release **

Press Release

Man arrested for numerous offences during protest

Around 5pm on Sunday 17th July 2016, a 36-year-old male from the Dominican Republic was arrested for numerous offenses.

The male who at the time appeared to be under the influence of alcohol, got angry and pushed a Police Officer after he was informed that he cannot consume alcoholic beverage during the protest and that it was illegal for it be sold at the time. When the officer approached the man, he noticed he had a small knife in his possession. 

With the assistance of other officers, the man who was resisting and behaving aggressively was arrested. A group of persons approached the officers by making threats and use of abusive words in their native language while trying to take the man away from the police lawful detention. 

A number of police officers were assaulted during this incident.

The man was later release on police bail.


Bolt, Shelly cruise; Asafa stumbles out of blocks

Olympic champions Usain Bolt and Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce safely navigated their way into the semi-finals of the 100m, while Clive Pullen stole the show capturing the triple jump with 16.90m and achieved the Olympic qualifying mark on day one of the Supreme Ventures Senior National Championships at the National Stadium last night.

Pullen, 21, a former Kingston College student now attending the University of Arkansas, soared to 16.90m with a wind of 1.9 mps and was the only jumper who surpassed the qualifying mark of 16.85m. Damon McLean was second with 16.46, while Wilbert Walker finished third with 16.42m.

Pullen, who punched his ticket to the Rio Olympics after improving on his personal best of 16.78m, said the distance didn’t surprise him.

Meanwhile, there was drama in the men’s 100m in which former world record holder Asafa Powell stumbled badly out of the blocks, but luckily for him, the race was called back quickly by starter Ludlow Watts. There appeared to be some issue with Powell’s block.

At the second time of asking, Powell wasn’t the best away, but recovered well and took the lead before easing down, but was relegated to third in 10.17 seconds. Jevaughn Minzie won the race in 10.15 seconds with Senoj-Jay Givans second with 10.16 seconds into a headwind of -1.1 mps.

Bolt won the final heat in 10.15 seconds, but not before the promising Julian Forte was disqualified for false-starting. It was anxious moments as Forte was drawn next to Bolt, and patrons held their breath for the outcome. Everton Clarke finished second in 10.16 just ahead of veteran Michael Frater in 10.31.

Double Olympic 100m champion Fraser-Pryce eased into the semi-final with a relaxed 11.38 clocking from heat two into a headwind of -1.3 mps. Remona Burchell was second in 11.59 with Natasha Morrison third in 11.61 seconds.

A relaxed Veronica Campbell-Brown won heat four in 11.39, while Elaine Thompson cruised into the semis clocking 11.39 into a headwind of -0.4. Simone Facey won heat two in 11.31 into a headwind of -2.1 mps ahead of Kerron Stewart with 11.44 seconds.

Action of the second day starts at 5:00 pm with the men’s pole vault final with the big races at 9pm tonight.

 


Serena unruffled by great expectations at Wimbledon

Serena Williams insists she doesn’t feel under pressure to retain the Wimbledon title and finally end her long wait to win a 22nd Grand Slam crown.

When Williams left the All England Club after defeating Garbine Muguruza in the final 12 months ago, she held all four major titles and was on the verge of a historic calendar Grand Slam.

But the world number one’s bid for tennis immortality crumbled when she suffered a shock defeat against Italy’s Roberta Vinci in the US Open semi-finals.

Since then, the 34-year-old American has looked scarred by her loss in New York and also burdened by the expectation she will equal Steffi Graf’s Open-era record of 22 Grand Slam titles.

 


Belgium slam four past Hungary

 

Eden Hazard scored his first goal of Euro 2016 as Belgium cruised into the quarter-finals with a 4-0 win yesterday to end Hungary’s fairy-tale campaign.

Belgium go into the European Championship quarter-finals for the first time since losing the 1980 final. They were dominant throughout at Stadium de Toulouse after Toby Alderweireld headed them into a 10th-minute lead.

The Red Devils wasted a series of great chances to put the game to bed before Michy Batshuayi — with his first touch as a substitute — Hazard and Yannick Carrasco, scored in the last 12 minutes.

Belgium now meet Wales in Lille, looking for a place in the semi-finals, but on the back of this promising performance, coach Marc Wilmots will be looking for improvements in front of goal.

 


World Cup champs dominate Slovakia 3-0

 

Jerome Boateng scored his first international goal to set Germany on their way to a 3-0 win against Slovakia at Euro 2016 yesterday, as the world champions cruised into the quarter-finals.

Boateng opened his account eight minutes into his 63rd international appearance and Joachim Low’s side never looked back against outclassed opponents.

Mesut Ozil had a penalty saved soon after but Julian Draxler set up Mario Gomez to double the lead two minutes before half-time, and the impressive Draxler then completed the scoring just after the hour mark.

There was never any threat of a repeat of Slovakia’s 3-1 win when the teams met in a friendly just four weeks ago and Germany will move on to a last-eight tie against either reigning champions Spain or old rivals Italy next weekend.

 


T&T top U-19 women’s CRICKET, D efending champs B’dos third

 

Trinidad and Tobago (T&T) crowned themselves champions of the Regional Under-19 Girls’ Twenty20 Invitational Championship when they easily disposed of Windward Islands in the final here Saturday.

Playing at the National Cricket Centre (NCC), the hosts reached 101 for four from their 20 overs and then restricted the visitors to 74 for eight, to pull off an uncomplicated, 27-run victory.

In the consolation final, reigning champions Barbados slumped to a seven-wicket loss to Guyana at Gilbert Park, to finish last in the four-team tournament.