Shooting at Roehampton Leaves Two Gunman Dead
Two men, believed to be from the community of Flanker, were shot dead during a joint police/military operation in Roehampton, as the St James Police Division moves to cut the high level of violence in the parish.
Police said two illegal firearms were also recovered after the alleged confrontation between gunmen and the police.
According to commander of the St James Police Division, Senior Superintendent Steve McGregor, yesterday morning a team, comprising 117 members of the Jamaica Constabulary Force and 65 members of the Jamaica Defence Force went into the tough Flanker community to conduct an operation when men, who allegedly escaped the dragnet, went into a nearby community called Roehampton.
"My police officers came in contact with them and two men were shot and injured and two firearms taken from them. They were pronounced dead when they were taken to the hospital," McGregor said.
The senior superintendent said 25 men, including five who are wanted for murders and shootings in the community, were taken into custody during the special operation.
Source: Jamaican Observer
Vigilante justice discouraged; Police and Pastor speak in Smith Murder investigation
Over three months later and Police have finally confirmed that the remains found in Grand Turk on April 16 are those of Kevino Smith, the 25 year old man who had been reported missing in early March. What the Police and the Smith family’s pastor, Rev Chad Archibald are discouraging is vigilante justice.
And there are a lot of issues that are going on here in the Division (Grand Turk). We must take heed as it relates to law and order; we cannot go out on a daily basis and commits acts of crime and expect nothing to be done. The Police will be taking a serious look into these…”
This sounds to be of major concern to the Police as there are talks erupting about the case which has polarized much of the Grand Turk community.
Rev Chad Archibald: “This attitude of ‘Town’ vs ‘Backsalina’ and I think it is so immature, I think it is ridiculous and I think as parents and community leaders and persons within the communities we need to have a serious chat with some of the youngsters who are getting involved in this nonsense.”
Police say this is an active investigation and they are still soliciting information in the now murder investigation. The forensic examination was performed in the US according to DCP Rodney Adams who revealed that the results returned to the TCI late on Friday.
Man Dies In Channel Tunnel
A man has been killed while at least 1,500 migrants tried to enter the Channel Tunnel in Calais on yesterday night, French police have said. Eurotunnel, which says incursions are now a nightly occurrence, said migrants had been removed from the site. It advised freight services to consider alternative transport for today. Sections of the M20 in Kent are closed in both directions for Operation Stack. It comes as the UK government comes under pressure to combat the crisis.
Speaking after a meeting of the government's emergency Cobra committee, Home Secretary Theresa May said the UK was pressing for the rapid installation of 1.2 miles of new security fencing which it has pledged to pay for at Coquelles, near the tunnel entrance. Mrs May added there were some migrants "particularly trying to get into the Eurotunnel and on to the trains before that security fencing is going up". France's interior minister said 120 police officers were being sent to Calais to reinforce security at the site.
Source: BBC
Pollution On Guanabara Beach Threatens RIO 2016 Olympics Games
Sailors in Guanabara Bay have reported seeing pollution including furniture and floating animal carcasses. Nearly 70% of sewage in the Brazilian city is spilled raw into its waters. Thomas Bach said Games preparations were on track but challenges remained, "first of all the cleaning of the bay". The Rio state government has already said it will miss its target of reducing pollution in the Guanabara bay by 80% ahead of the Olympics, which begin on 5 August 2016.
Bach said some measures to clean the waters had already started, while others "will be applied to the bay just before the Olympics to make sure there is the safety and the health of the athletes"."We are very confident we will have a great Games in one year. Acknowledging challenges is the first and most important step to overcoming them."
Source: BBC
A Huge Step Forward in Memory Technology
A new kind of memory technology is going into production, which is up to 1,000 times faster than the Nand flash storage used in memory cards and computers' solid state drives (SSDs). The innovation is called 3D XPoint, and is the invention of Intel and Micron. The two US companies predict a wide range of benefits, from speeding up scientific research to making more elaborate video games. One expert described it as a "huge step forward".
"There are other companies who have talked about new types of memory technology, but this is about being able to manufacture the stuff - that's why they are making such a big deal out of it," says Bob O'Donnell, from the consultancy Technalysis.If all goes to plan, the first products to feature 3D XPoint (pronounced cross-point) will go on sale next year. Its price has yet to be announced.
Source: BBC
Dominicans fined or face jail time for maritime crimes
The TCI Prosecutor hopes the Dominicans captured stealing marine product from our waters will find the money to pay their fines and go home.
Public Prosecutor Clement Joseph said it is far more costly to TCIG to keep these men in remand for six months; a bill he estimates at $5,000 per day for the 28 men now convicted of poaching.
Magistrate Clifton Warner heard a whale of a tale today from the 28 poachers who say they thought they were in Puerto Plata in the DR. The poachers, who had been staying at the detention center since the raid last Thursday said their captain lied to them.
That captain eluded capture last week; left the 28 men, 14 boats outfitted with 14 Yamaha engines, spear guns, air compressors, hoses and other equipment outlawed in the TCI to face officers on their own.
One by one in court the 28 repeated their sorry tale. Telling Warner they were "betrayed."
The men, in the end plead guilty to all eight charges and were fined $5,400 each; a total of $151,200 in fines.
The Magistrate had given them until 4pm to pay those fines.
2000 Migrants Tries to Enter the UK through a Channel Tunnel
Some 2,000 migrants tried to enter the Channel Tunnel terminal in Calais on Monday night in an attempt to reach the UK, operator Eurotunnel has said. Eurotunnel is facing a daily struggle with migrants who attempt to smuggle themselves into Britain, sometimes with fatal consequences. "It was the biggest incursion effort in the past month-and-a-half," said a spokesman for Eurotunnel.
The incident caused serious delays to Eurotunnel train services on Tuesday. Passengers were held up for about an hour on the British side and 30 minutes on the French side, French news agency AFP reports. The spokesman for Eurotunnel said the migrants were trying to enter the site "between midnight and 6am". He added: "All our security personnel, that is nearly 200 people, as well as police were called in." Eight migrants have died this summer trying to enter the Channel Tunnel.
AFP says an official count at the beginning of July found that about 3,000 migrants - mainly from Ethiopia, Eritrea, Sudan and Afghanistan - were camping in Calais and trying to get across the Channel. French Interior Minister Bernard Cazeneuve held talks in London on Tuesday with UK Home Secretary Theresa May on the migrant issue. Eurotunnel is seeking compensation from the British and French governments for disruption caused by illegal migrants.
Source: BBC
Minister Thanks Team For Successful Anti-Poaching Sting
Minster of Tourism, Environment, Heritage and Culture Hon. Porsha Stubbs-Smith offered her gratitude to Officers from the Department of Environment and Maritime Affairs (DEMA) who reacted to a tip from the TCI's Marine Police Air Patrol on Thursday, 23 July, which allowed them to apprehend 28 Poachers together with 14 unlicensed vessels.
"This is proud moment as a Turks and Caicos Islander" stated Hon. Stubbs-Smith. "These civil servants have shown courage and bravery and deserve our recognition and gratitude.
"It is important that all potential violators understand that we will not stand by, while our waters and natural environment be abused. Anyone that insists on malicious efforts similar in kind to these will be caught and prosecuted to the full extent of the law.
"On behalf of myself and my government, we thank all persons involved with this massive apprehension and hope the good work continues."
Android Bug Detected Software Needs Updating
A bug in the Android mobile operating system has been discovered by researchers, who say it affects nearly a billion devices. The flaw can be exploited by sending a photo or video message to a person's smartphone, without any action by the receiver. Google said it had patched the problem, but millions of devices still need their software updating.
The researchers said the flaw was "extremely dangerous". Researchers from US information security company Zimpherium said they believed it was one of the worst Android vulnerabilities to date, estimating that 950 million devices were affected. Hackers were able to send malicious code within a multimedia message that could access a service within Android called Stagefright. After Stagefright had been invoked, which required no action from the victim, other data and apps on the handset could be accessed by the malicious code.
"These vulnerabilities are extremely dangerous because they do not require that the victim take any action to be exploited," the researchers wrote. Further details on the flaw will be revealed by the team, at the Black Hat security conference in Las Vegas next week. James Lyne, global head of security research at security company Sophos, said the flaw affected a "massive array" of phones running Android version 2.2 and higher.
"On some devices, the privileges at which this runs means an attacker could access all kinds of content on your device or access resources such as the camera," he said.
Source: BBC
Police beat Quality Super Kings
The Turks and Caicos Islands Cricket Association Summer T20 Cricket League Tournament sponsored by HAB Group, continued on Sunday 26th July 2015 at The Downtown Ball Park, Providenciales.
Police called correctly and took first strike, closing on 170 runs for 2 wickets from their allotted 20 overs. Kareem Jack cracked an unbeaten 68 runs which was punctuated with 11 x 4 and 1 x 6. The next contributor was Garvin Bruno with 45 runs which consisted of 4 x 4 and 3 x 6.
Bowling for Quality Super Kings; Robert Johnson and Jawellyn Sealey took one wicket a piece. Quality Super Kings in their run chased were restricted to 127 runs from 20 overs. The Top Scorer was Captain Ebbon Caesar with an unbeaten 52 runs and Levan McCoy added 21 runs, 4 x 4.
Bowling for the Police, Vaurice Jarvis picked up 3 wickets for 27 runs from 4 overs.Meanwhile the Competition continues on Saturday 1st August 2015 at the same venue. Mitsubishi Electric will take on Police and on Sunday 2nd August 2015 Quality Super Kings will battle Kischo.
