Woman left in fear after home shot up
Though she said she is thankful to God, a South Florida grandmother now fears for her life after her Southwest Miami-Dade house was left riddled with bullets.
Seventy-two-year-old Martha Williams was reading her bible when the sound of gunfire filled the air.
The shooting occurred Tuesday morning, at around 1 a.m., at 14801 Fillmore St. Williams'
Williams has 23 grandchildren and 18 great grandchildren. However, it was her 29-year-old grandson who was the only other family member in the home, sleeping at the time.
Thankfully for the family, not all of the rooms were occupied. In one room, where 10-year-old Jordan normally sleeps, bullet holes were left next to her bed. Williams' told her sister, Janice Riggins, that was the first night that she ever slept face down. She usually sleeps on her side. So had she been at her side last night, she would've gotten five or six bullets very easily in her back or in her stomach.
The damage could also be seen outside the home, as windows were left with holes in them.
The family said they have no idea who could possibly do this to them.
Source: WSVN
Caribbean region could eliminate HIV by 2030
The Caribbean region could be the first in the world to eliminate HIV by the year 2030, according to the Director of the Pan American Health Organization (PAHO), Dr. Carissa Etienne.
Dr. Etienne, who was on her first official visit to Dominica, said during a press conference last Tuesday 7 July 2015, that there are positive signs of the elimination of HIV in the region.
However, Dr. Etienne advised that it is critical that there are no new cases of the virus.
“To eliminate HIV we will have to improve prevention and promotions so we don’t get any new cases,” Dr. Etienne said.
The same sentiments were echoed by Premier the Hon. Dr. Rufus Ewing as the TCI prepares itself for more promotions & preventions by 2020.
“We need to improve the diagnosis and we need to diagnose them early and we need to have access to treatment and monitoring of those and we believe that the region can be one of the first to achieve elimination of HIV certainly by then,” Premier Ewing said.
Last week PAHO and the World Health Organization (WHO) declared Cuba as the first country in the world to eliminate the transmission of HIV and congenital syphilis from mother to child.
Annual Children’s Environmental and Cultural Summer Camp 2015 Turks & Caicos National Trust
The Turks & Caicos Islands National Trust is preparing to host its Annual Children’s Summer Camp 2015.
The five days of environmental and cultural camp for youngsters between the ages of 7-12, is scheduled to be held between July 27th-31st, 2015 at the Department of Youth Affairs multi-purpose room.
The cost for the week is $55.00 for non-members and $50.00 for members including lunch.
The Turks & Caicos National Trust annual children camp provides an opportunity for children to become engaged, and share their knowledge. We have many educational and exciting activities planned this year. The themes of the children’s environmental and cultural camp will be on the following topics:
• Shark Conservation Initiative
• Caicos Pine Recovery Project
• Literature/Storytelling (Auntie Fanny and the Talking Potato)
• Cultural Music/Dance (Rack & Scrap, Sha-Sha)
• Island Expedition (Field Trip)
• Mock Barn Fire (Social/Awards Day)
Children’s Summer Camp will run from 10:00 am-2:30 pm, Monday through Friday. Friday afternoon at 1:00pm there will be a closing programme for parents/guardians and friends.
The camp will be held at Department of Youth Affairs multi-purpose room. We’ll also make use of our heritage sites and other locations of cultural and environmental importance.
Staff from the Turks & Caicos National Trust will lead the programme, along with from key resource persons for each camp session.
The National Trust is encouraging persons interested in volunteering for its summer camp to please contact the coordinator.
Any child between the ages of 7-12 can register. He or she does not have to be a member of the National Trust but the Trust encourages all participants to join.
Parents looking to register their children can do so at the Turks & Caicos National Trust office in Towne Center Mall located Downtown Providenciales. If you would like additional information please contact Coordinator Winema Sanders by telephone 649-941-5710 or email her at wsanders@tcnationaltrust.org.
Fraud alert: Lourdes
THE FINANCIAL Intelligence Agency Turks and Caicos Islands (FIA-TCI) is warning the public to be on the alert for a female fraudster going by the name of Anna Casey Lourdes.
A printed example of the forged UK passport identification page, with the picture of Lourdes appears in the recent edition of the TC Weekly newspaper.
The article shares the public statement by the FIA-TCI, which notes that reports have revealed that the fraudster is using fictitious identification and other documents in an attempt to enter into business arrangements, particularly with law firms and real estate companies and may be ‘shopping’ until an unwitting person or entity falls victim to the fraud.
According to her modus operandi, the fraudster purports to be a wealthy investor looking to purchase real estate in the Turks and Caicos Islands.
Once the entity shows interest in conducting business with the subject, the relevant customer’s due diligence documents requested, will be provided to show proof of ‘her’ identity; however these documents have been identified by relevant authorities as forgeries.
Once the entity accepts the documents and is ready to proceed with the transaction, a forged cheque is sent to them.
Shortly after that cheque is sent, the entity receives correspondence from the subject indicating that they no longer wish to proceed with the transaction and gives instructions for the return of the money. This may be in the form of an advance until the cheque has been cleared or a request for a loan against the amount.
The FINANCIAL Intelligence Agency Turks and Caicos Islands (FIA-TCI), cautions that the other side to the scam is that instead of sending a forged cheque, the subject may convince third parties to send money to the entity on her behalf. And once the money is sent she will provide excuses not to complete the transaction and request that the monies be sent to a different account.
The FIA-TCI cautions anyone who is in receipt of emails of this nature to carry out proper due diligence to avoid becoming victims of this fraud.
Email addresses that have been used by the subject are: anna.caseylour@aol.com, annacaseylourdes@yahoo.com, annacaseylourdes@gmail.com, and c.annalourdes@gmail.com.
Anyone who has been victim, or had their entity targeted by the fraudster is being advised to contact the Financial Crime Unit of the Royal Turks and Caicos Islands Police Force on 941- 4448/4450.
Second home invasion for Chris Brown in recent months
The Los Angeles home of US singer Chris Brown has been raided and ransacked by three masked men who locked his aunt in a closet, according to police.
The R&B star was not at his home at the time of robbery, which took place in the early hours of this morning.
Officials said the suspects, who were armed with handguns, got away from the Tarzana property with an unknown amount of money and some personal items.
Brown or his representatives have yet to comment on the matter.
It marks the second home invasion that Brown, the former boyfriend of pop star Rihanna, has suffered in recent months.
In May, he came home to another property to find a woman had allegedly broken in, cooked several meals and written "I love you" on walls.
Amira Ayeb, 21, subsequently pleaded not guilty to first-degree residential burglary, stalking and vandalis.
Source BBC
