Pakistan police bust organ trafficking ring that took kidneys from hundreds

Eight members of an organ trafficking ring in north-east Pakistan have been arrested, police say.

The ring's alleged leader, Fawad Mukhtar, is accused of extracting the kidneys of more than 300 people and transplanting them into rich clients.

He had previously been arrested five times for malpractice but managed to secure bail each time.

At least three people died from having their organs harvested this way, authorities said.

The gang was believed to be operating across eastern Punjab province and in Pakistan-administered Kashmir.

The transplants were carried out in private homes - often without the patient knowing, the chief minister of Punjab province Mohsin Naqvi said.

A car mechanic is said to have worked as Mr Mukhtar's surgical assistant and helped lure vulnerable patients from hospitals.

The kidneys were then sold for up to 10 million rupees (£99,000; $120,000) each, Mr Naqvi added.

"The facts and figures that have come to us make the heart tremble," Mr Naqvi said during a press conference on Sunday.

"There are a lot more transplants and illegal surgeries than this. These are the ones that we have confirmed."

The commercial trade of human organs was made illegal in Pakistan in 2010.

The punishment for those caught includes a decade-long jail term and huge fines in the hope that this will stop sales to overseas clients by exploitative doctors, middlemen, recipients, and donors.

However, there has been a rise in organ trafficking in the country as people struggle with low wages and poor enforcement of the law.

In January, Punjab police uncovered another organ trafficking ring after a missing 14-year-old boy was found in an underground lab after having his kidney removed.

Source- BBC


14 injured in Bahamas boating accident

Police on the island of Grand Bahama are investigating a boating accident which has left several people injured.

The Royal Bahamas Police Force states that 14 people (11 adults and three toddlers) were injured. Reports indicate shortly before 1 pm on Sunday, a vessel with 21 people onboard left Fortune Bay Drive en route to Grand Cay, Abaco, when the vessel collided with a sand bar, a half mile north of the Freeport Dock.

Several passengers were reportedly ejected from the vessel and subsequently retrieved from the water.

The passengers, all of Bahamian nationality, were assisted by another vessel and returned to Grand Bahama.

The injured, which included seven adult females, four adult males, two female toddlers, and a male toddler, were taken to the Rand Memorial Hospital for treatment.

Police are questioning the boat captain, a 53-year-old male of Grand Cay, Abaco, in connection with the incident.

Source- Caribbean Loop News


Man arrested in shooting at Lil Baby concert in Memphis

Aman has been arrested in a shooting that wounded one person at a Memphis concert headlined by rapper Lil Baby, police said Thursday.

Kevin Young, 22, was arrested Wednesday on charges including reckless endangerment and unlawful possession of weapons and drugs at a home in Memphis, police said on social media.

Police responded to the September 7 shooting at the FedEx Forum, located just steps from the popular Beale Street tourist destination in downtown Memphis. The 19,000-seat arena is home to the NBA's Memphis Grizzlies and the University of Memphis men's basketball team. The arena is also used as a concert venue.

Lil Baby was rushed off the stage when shots were fired. A man was wounded and taken to a hospital. No other injuries were reported.

The concert was canceled and the building was evacuated. Police have not said how the suspect was able to bring a gun into the arena, which contracts with a private security company to screen people for weapons. The arena has since instituted a clear bag policy for patrons.

Officers found guns, ammunition, and drugs in the home where Young was arrested. Two other men who were in the home were also arrested on drug charges.

Online court records do not list a lawyer for Young.

After the shooting, Lil Baby posted a message on X, formerly known as Twitter:

"Unfortunately I Couldn't Perform Last Night In Memphis, I Make Sure Everybody Gets A Refund Tho."

Source- Loop News


St Kitts looks forward to hosting warmup matches of 2024 T20 World Cup

St Kitts and Nevis’ Sports Minister said cost was a factor in the country’s decision not to host group matches of the Men’s Twenty20 Cricket World Cup (CWC) in 2024.

In an article posted on St Kitts and Nevis Information Service website, Minister Samal Duggins explained that CWC required the government to make a significant investment to bring the Warner Park Sporting Complex in line with the minimum standards required to host tournament matches

Additionally, he stated the time frame to complete renovations was not practical.

Duggins said St Kitts and Nevis is negotiating with CWC and the International Cricket Council to host warmup matches for the tournament.

The minister stated the island could be a home base for at least four teams.

Each team will play two matches and they are likely to stay on the island between 10 to 21 days depending on scheduling.

Duggins said the government is already making substantial investments in St Kitts and Nevis’ sports facilities.

The Kim Collins Athletics Stadium, which is in desperate need of repair, will receive a new Mondo track along with upgraded stands, a media section, a gym, and bathrooms.

Duggins added investments in the island’s cricket infrastructure are being made with the aim of St Kitts and Nevis hosting THE SIXTY tournament in 2024 as well as being a home training base for UK teams.

Source- Loop News


UK defence giant BAE Systems wins £3.95bn submarine contract

Britain's biggest defence firm, BAE Systems, has won a £3.95bn ($4.82bn) contract to build a new generation of submarines as the security pact between the US, UK and Australia moves ahead.

In March, the three countries announced details of the so-called Aukus pact to provide Australia with nuclear-powered attack submarines by the late 2030s.

The pact aims to counter China's ambitions in the Indo-Pacific region.

Beijing has strongly criticised the three countries over the deal.

"We're incredibly proud of our role in the delivery of this vitally important, tri-nation submarine programme," BAE Systems chief executive Charles Woodburn said.

BAE said the funding will pay for development work until 2028, with manufacturing of the vessels expected to start towards the end of this decade.

The first SSN-Aukus submarine is scheduled to be delivered in the late 2030s.

Both the UK and Australia will use the SSN-Aukus submarines, which will be based on a British design.

"This multi-billion-pound investment in the Aukus submarine programme will help deliver the long-term hunter-killer submarine capabilities the UK needs to maintain our strategic advantage and secure our leading place in a contested global order," UK Defence Secretary Grant Shapps said as the Conservative party conference got underway in Manchester.

BAE said the SSN-Aukus will be the biggest, most powerful and most advanced attack submarine ever operated by the Royal Navy and will eventually replace the Astute class, which it builds at its site in Barrow-in-Furness, Cumbria.

The agreement will provide decades of work at the Barrow-in-Furness shipyard, where it employs more than 10,000 people.

The company said the deal will also fund significant investment at the site, investment in its supply chain and recruitment of more than 5,000 workers.

BAE employs 39,600 people in the UK and has a global workforce totalling more than 93,000, according to the company's website.

Other major UK defence contractors are also getting a boost from the Aukus deal.

In March, it was confirmed that Rolls-Royce Submarines would provide all the nuclear reactor plants that would power the SSN-Aukus vessels.

In June, Rolls-Royce said it would almost double the size of its Raynesway facility in Derby as a result of the deal. On Sunday, Babcock International, which maintains and supports the UK's submarines, said it had signed a five-year deal with the Ministry of Defence to work on the SSN-Aukus design.

The Aukus security alliance - which was first announced in September 2021 - has repeatedly drawn criticism from China.

However, the three Western countries say the deal is aimed at shoring up stability in the Indo-Pacific.

Source- BBC


PlayStation boss Jim Ryan to retire from Sony next year

PlayStation boss Jim Ryan is to step down in March 2024 after almost 30 years with the company.

He took over as CEO of Sony Interactive Entertainment (SIE) in February 2019, having joined Sony a few months before the launch of the PlayStation in 1994.

His departure comes as a shock after the recent success of the PS5, which he has overseen since it launched in 2020.

Mr Ryan said he took the decision to leave over issues he had living in Europe while working in North America.

"I've relished the opportunity to have a job I love in a very special company, working with great people and incredible partners," he said in a statement.

"I will leave having been privileged to work on products that have touched millions of lives across the world; PlayStation will always be part of my life, and I feel more optimistic than ever about the future of SIE."

Sony's chief operating officer Hiroki Totoki will take over as interim CEO following Mr. Ryan's departure.

The PS5 originally had some supply issues when it launched, which led to scalpers buying up the consoles and selling them at double the price.

But those problems have since been resolved, and Sony has gone on to sell 40 million of the consoles worldwide.

"Jim Ryan has been an inspirational leader throughout his entire period with us, but never more so than in overseeing the launch of PlayStation 5 in the midst of the global Covid pandemic," said Sony CEO Kenichiro Yoshida.

"That extraordinary achievement made by the entire SIE team has been steadily built on and PlayStation 5 is on track to become SIE's most successful console yet."

Source- BBC


Tropical Storm Philippe nears the Leeward Islands

Tropical Storm Philippe is on track to pass near the northern Leeward Islands later on Monday with maximum sustained winds of 50 miles per hour (mph) with a tropical storm watch remaining in effect for Antigua and Barbuda.

The Miami-based National Hurricane Centre (NHC) said that the storm is located about 125 miles east-southeast of Barbuda and could bring heavy rains and flooding to portions of the Leeward Islands.

While the tropical storm watch remains in effect for Antigua and Barbuda, the NHC said interests elsewhere in the northern Leeward Islands should monitor the progress of this system that is moving towards the northwest near seven mph.

The NHC said that this motion is expected to continue through early Tuesday and a turn towards the north-northwest is forecast to occur by late Tuesday, followed by a northward motion on Wednesday.

“On the forecast track, the center of Philippe is expected to pass near or just northeast of the northern Leeward Islands later today and tonight,” the NHC said, adding that little change in strength is forecast during the next day or so, but Philippe could begin to intensify more significantly around the middle of the week.

Tropical-storm-force winds extend outward up to 175 miles primarily east and southeast of the centre and Philippe is forecast to produce four to six inches of rainfall over Antigua and Barbuda and two to four inches over the rest of the Leeward Islands.

“Swells generated by Philippe will affect portions of the Atlantic coasts of the northern Leeward Islands, the Virgin Islands, and Puerto Rico through midweek. These swells are likely to cause life-threatening surf and rip current conditions,” the NHC warned.

Source- Caribbean Loop News


Incident on Grand Turk during the National Youth Day Celebrations

On behalf of the Ministry of Home Affairs as well as the Honourable representative for Grand Turk North, I hereby join Her Excellency the Governor, the Hon. Premier, and other members of Government in extending my very heartfelt condolences to the family, friends, and community of Grand Turk at large, on the untimely and the unfortunate passing of one of our nation’s youth over the past weekend during the National Youth Day Celebrations on Grand Turk.

The death of this young man has left the community, members of family, friends, and I completely stunned with shock and sadness. Our hearts are in grief for the bereaved families today and in the days to come.

Many families have suffered loss of some kind with this incident. The lives of many young people have been impacted; those who may have witnessed the incident and now are traumatized, those who may have participated and now must face the consequences of their actions, and those families who are wondering with concern, in the wake of this tragic event, about the future of our young people.

My dear fellow Turks and Caicos Islanders, let us not get weary in praying for our young men and women, and in doing all we can to shape a positive path for them, giving guidance and counsel whenever and wherever we can.

Again, let me express my deepest condolences at the death of another of our young men. I join with our nation in praying that our Lord and Savior's love supports and strengthens the young gentleman's entire family and friends. May the good Lord’s peace be with us all and may he comfort those who are left to mourn his passing.

May his soul rest in peace and rise in eternal glory.


114m Euros off next year's water bills as companies underperformed

Customers will receive £114m off their water bills next year as the regulator has said water companies fell short of standards.

The majority of water and wastewater companies in England and Wales underperformed, Ofwat said as part of its water company performance report.

As a result, all but five of the 17 utility providers will have to give back money to customers. The others can increase prices.

Water firms were classed as leading, average, or lagging in categories including pollution incidents, customer service, and leakage. No company was ranked as leading.

Seven are categorized as lagging in the 2022-2023 targets: Anglian Water, Dŵr Cymru, Southern Water, Thames Water, Yorkshire Water, Bristol Water and South East Water.

A further ten companies are listed as average.

Ofwat said improvements have been made in areas since 2020, such as leakage and internal sewer flooding, but progress has been "too slow". Last year all but one company achieved the performance level for unplanned water outages.

It follows an apology from water and sewage firms in England for "not acting quickly enough" on spills. In May they vowed to spend £10bn to fix the problem.

During the 2022 to 2023 year less than half of water companies met targets on reducing pollution and leakages, Ofwat said on Tuesday.

Over the past year there was also a decline in customer satisfaction, it added.

At the same time, Ofwat said, companies had not fully invested in service enhancement funding.

While it's good news for billpayers, the regulator said it is not good overall.

"It is very disappointing news for all who want to see the sector do better", Ofwat chief executive, David Black said.

"It will not be easy for companies to regain public trust, but they have to start with better service for customers and the environment."

Source- Sky News


Cabinet minister, Obie Wilchcombe, has died

Bahamians are mourning the sudden passing of Cabinet Minister Obediah Wilchcombe. He was 65 years old.

Mourners have gathered at the Rand Memorial Hospital in Grand Bahama upon learning of his death.

The Office of the Prime Minister today announced the passing of Wilchcombe, who served as Minister of Social Services, Information and Broadcasting, and Leader of Government Business in the House of Assembly.

A statement said Minister Wilchombe dedicated his life to public service and made significant contributions to the nation.

Prime Minister Philip Edward Davis is in Grand Bahama to pay his respects and offer condolences to the family.

Meanwhile, former Prime Minister and Member of Parliament for Killarney, Dr Hubert Minnis, has extended condolences to the family, friends, and loved ones of Obediah Wilchcombe.

He says Wilchcombe served The Bahamas with unwavering dedication and passion.

Minnis says the passing of Minister Wilchcombe is a profound loss to the nation and his invaluable contributions to the betterment of The Bahamas will forever be remembered and appreciated.

It was noted that Wilchcombe as a devoted public servant, worked tirelessly to enhance the lives of citizens, first in the area of broadcast and journalism, and secondly as a Member of Parliament and as a Cabinet Minister, leaving an indelible mark on this country's history.

During his tenure in government, serving most recently as Leader of Government Business in the House of Assembly, Minister Wilchcombe exhibited exemplary leadership and a deep commitment to the well-being of the people.

Source- Caribbean Loop News