Grenada man charged for posting nude photos of ex-lover online

A 25-year-old man became the first person to be charged for violating a section of the Electronic Crimes Act when he appeared in court earlier this week.

Yurber Phillip was charged with Violation of Privacy under the Electronic Crimes Act based on allegations that he published nude photos of a female person via a social media website.

Police confirmed that the female and Phillip had an intimate relationship.

The matter that was reported to the South St George's Police Station was also investigated by officers of that station and the Director of Public Prosecution gave guidance in laying the charges.


St. Kitts-Nevis high commissioner to Jamaica dies at 87

PRIME Minister of St Kitts and Nevis Dr Timothy Harris has extended "heartfelt condolences", on behalf of his Government and people, to the family and loved ones of the late Cedric Harper, who served as that island's high commissioner to Jamaica since 2001.

Harper has died at the age of 87.

Cedric Harper had a distinguished 35-year career as a diplomat who was highly regarded as an endearing and effective representative for St Kitts and Nevis. I am honoured to have learned at his feet, particularly when I served as minister of foreign affairs between 2001 and 2008. With dedication, dignity and diplomatic aplomb, he served his country well," the prime minister said in a statement Wednesday.

Harper joined the Consular Corps in Jamaica in the capacity of honorary consul general of St Kitts and Nevis, serving in that position from 1983 to 1999 and as consul general from 1999 to 2000 before being appointed high commissioner for St Kitts and Nevis to Jamaica in 2001. From 2001 to 2014, Harper also served as non-resident ambassador for St Kitts and Nevis to the Republic of Cuba.


Bitcoin wallet Bitfi withdraws 'unhackable' claim

Bitfi, a cryptocurrency wallet backed by anti-virus software entrepreneur John McAfee, has issued a statement saying it will no longer describe its service as "unhackable".

The announcement followed the release of evidence by a group of security researchers showing the wallet being compromised.

However, Mr McAfee maintains that the claim stands.

Bitfi had offered a $250,000 (£190,000) reward to anyone who hacked the wallet.

But it stated that the Bitcoin inside must be removed from the wallet - which was controversial among the cybersecurity community as often weaknesses are identified but not acted upon.

The group claimed to have hacked the wallet once before but Bitfi and Mr McAfee refused to accept their evidence.

They said it didn't qualify for the reward - known as a bug bounty - because none of the digital currency was actually removed.


Chinese-Made Ford Focus Active Won’t Come To U.S. Due To Tariffs

Ford announced Friday it would not bring the Focus Active—the raised version of the compact hatch—to the U.S. due to the Trump Administration’s tariffs on Chinese imports. This comes after the automaker announced earlier this year it would phase several car models out of its portfolio in the country to focus on crossovers, trucks, and SUVs.

“Given the negative financial impact of the new tariffs, we've decided not to import this vehicle from China,” said Kumar Galhotra, Ford president of North America, according to The Detroit News. “The significant thing that moved was the tariffs going up substantially higher. We're choosing to deploy resources elsewhere.”

Ford’s move away from cars is all about profit. Many have low profit margins. As consumers move toward crossovers and SUVs—which have higher profit margins—Ford hopes to replenish its lineup with vehicles consumers want. For the Focus Active, the additional tariffs would cut into its already low-profit margin. 

 


Coca-Cola to buy Costa coffee for £3.9bn

Coca-Cola is to buy the Costa coffee chain from owner Whitbread in a deal worth £3.9bn.

Whitbread had intended to spin off the chain as a separate firm, but said a straight sale was more profitable.

Chief executive Alison Brittain said Whitbread would now focus on its Premier Inn business in the UK and Germany.

Whitbread bought Costa, which is now the UK's biggest coffee chain, for just £19m in 1995.

At the time, it had just 39 outlets. It now has more than 2,400 UK coffee shops, as well as some 1,400 outlets in 31 overseas markets. Costa Express has 8,237 vending machines worldwide.

Whitbread shares were up 16% in Friday afternoon trading.

Speaking on the BBC's Today programme, Ms Brittain explained that Coca-Cola wanted to buy Costa because "they want the coffee product, they have no coffee in their range".

She said the money from the sale would be used to expand the Premier Inn chain, return some cash to shareholders, pay down debt and boost the pension fund.


US-Canada trade talks going down to wire

Talks between the US and Canada about amending the North American Free Trade Agreement (Nafta) are heading into their final day with no deal in sight.

US President Donald Trump set a Friday deadline for Canada to sign a new agreement with the US and Mexico.

He has threatened to leave Canada on the sidelines since announcing a breakthrough with Mexico on Monday.

However, he and Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau have both said they are hopeful a deal is close.

US Trade Representative Robert Lighthizer is holding talks in Washington with Canadian Foreign Minister Chrystia Freeland aimed at reaching a new deal.

Ms Freeland said on Friday morning that negotiators are "not there yet" on a deal that can be agreed upon by both parties, and that talks would continue later in the day.

"We're looking for a good deal, not just any deal," she said. "And we'll only agree to a deal that is a good deal for Canada.

Issues that have led to discord between the neighbouring countries include Canada's dairy trade rules, dispute-handling mechanisms and patent protections for medicines.

Dairy in particular appeared to be a stumbling block in the negotiations on Friday, with US officials saying Canada had made no concessions on agriculture and Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau saying he was standing firm on the issue.

Mr Trump has threatened to levy tariffs on car parts exported from Canada to the US if a deal is not reached.


POTENTIAL TROPICAL CYCLONE SIX ISSUED BY THE BAHAMAS DEPARTMENT OF METEOROLOGY FORECAST OFFICE AT 12PM FRIDAY 31ST AUGUST 2018

A TROPICAL STORM HAS NOT FORMED YET BUT STRONG GUSTY WINDS AND HEAVY RAINS ARE STILL EXPECTED OVER THE SOUTHERN CABO VERDE ISLANDS LATER TODAY…

THIS SYSTEM POSES NO THREAT TO THE TURKS AND CAICOS ISLANDS OR BAHAMAS AT THIS TIME. DDME WILL CONTINUE TO MONITOR THE SYSTEM AND UPDATES WILL BE ISSUED ACCORDINGLY.

AT 11AM, THE DISTURBANCE WAS LOCATED NEAR LATITUDE 13.7°NORTH AND LONGITUDE 22.7° WEST OR ABOUT 135 MILES SOUTHEAST OF THE SOUTHERN MOST CABO VERDE ISLANDS.

THE SYSTEM IS MOVING TOWARD THE WEST-NORTHWEST AT NEAR 13 MILES PER HOUR AND THIS MOTION WITH A SLIGHT INCREASE IN FORWARD SPEED IS EXPECTED TO CONTINUE FOR THE NEXT THREE TO FOUR DAYS. ON THE FORECAST TRACK, THE DISTURBANCE IS EXPECTED TO MOVE NEAR OR OVER THE SOUTHERN CABO VERDE ISLANDS AS A TROPICAL STORM LATER TODAY AND TONIGHT.

MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS ARE NEAR 35 MILES PER HOUR WITH HIGHER GUSTS. SOME STRENGTHENING IS FORECAST DURING THE NEXT SEVERAL DAYS AND THE DISTURBANCE IS EXPECTED TO BECOME A TROPICAL STORM LATER TODAY OR SATURDAY.

 

TURKS AND CAICOS POST CABINET MEETING STATEMENT - 29 AUGUST 2018

His Excellency the Governor, Dr John Freeman, chaired the 18th meeting of Cabinet on Wednesday, 29 August 2018, at the N J S Francis Building on Grand Turk.

All Ministers were present.

At this meeting Cabinet:

• Advised His Excellency the Governor to approve the grant of a long-term commercial lease for 25 years in the first instance to Mr Howard Dickenson over Crown Land Parcel 10409/184 on Grand Turk for the construction of storage facilities;

• Received a progress report from the Hon. Minister of Tourism, Environment, Heritage and Gaming on the drafting of a Sargassum Policy for TCI which is well advanced and on measures which are already being taken to address the problem of the increasing influx of Sargassum Seaweed on TCI shores. The Ministry will submit the draft policy paper to Cabinet at the earliest opportunity for approval;

• Noted a procurement waiver granted for the Quarter April – June 2018 in accordance with Section 21 of the Public Procurement Ordinance. Cabinet also noted the consolidated list of all procurement waivers for the Financial Year 2017/18;

• Noted the financial performance of the TCI Government for the period April-June 2018 as submitted in the 2018/19 First Quarter Financial Report by the Accountant General;

• Approved the waiver of rental payments for a period of three months by licensed vendors of the Culture Markets on Grand Turk and Providenciales by way of compensation for loss of business and revenue through damage caused to their stalls after the September 2017 hurricanes;

• Noted an information paper by the Hon. Minister of Tourism, Environment, Heritage and Gaming up-dating Cabinet on the establishment of a Maritime Oversight Committee to advise TCIG on work to ensure that TCI meets its international maritime obligations and compliance with international maritime conventions and standards ahead of an audit by the International Maritime Organisation in 2020;

• Advised His Excellency the Governor to endorse the “Adopt a Highway” Programme initiative aimed at cleaning up and beautifying the roadsides in Providenciales;

• Considered and approved the proposed TCI Climate Change Policy and noted a list of possible measures to be undertaken subject to further assessment of each measure including resources being available;

• Noted the financial performance of the TCI Government for the period January – March 2018 as reported by the Accountant General in the 4th Quarter Financial Report 2017/18 submitted in accordance with Section 36 of the Public Finance Management Ordinance 2012;

• Advised His Excellency the Governor to approve the appointment of Mr Curtis Simmons as Deputy Chairman of the NHIB in accordance with Section 16 (1) (ii) of the National Health Insurance (Amendment) Ordinance 2017;

• Received a paper from the Hon. Minister of Infrastructure, Housing and Planning and a presentation by the Energy and Utilities Commissioner on discussions between TCIG and Fortis TCI Ltd on reforms to the electricity sector regulatory framework. Cabinet approved the recommendations in the paper and requested the Attorney General’s Chambers to draft the necessary legislation to implement the recommendations;

• Was informed by the Hon. Premier that she had received the draft National Health Insurance Board actuarial report which would be submitted to Cabinet for consideration;

• Was informed by the Hon. Minister of Tourism, Environment, Heritage and Gaming of an approach by the company, CaribX (UK) Ltd, with a proposal to conduct offshore hydrocarbon exploration in TCI waters which the Ministry would be following up with the company;

• In response to a request by the Hon. Minister of Tourism, Environment, Heritage and Gaming, received an up-date by the Hon. Attorney General on banking services on North Caicos.

Further information on these matters will be provided by Ministers in due course.

ENDS


MINISTRY OF EDUCATION, YOUTH, CULTURE AND LIBRARY SERVICES ON OPENING OF SCHOOLS

The Ministry of Education, Youth, Culture and Library Services hereby informs the public that public schools will reopen on Wednesday, 5th September 2018. Schools will host student and teacher orientation exercises for certain classes on Monday and Tuesday, 3rd and 4th September 2018. A workshop for teachers will also be hosted on the aforementioned days.

Please note the following specific information concerning the reopening of public schools:

Eliza Simons Primary - All students of the Eliza Simons Primary will report for school at the Eliza Simons Primary School Compound on Wednesday, 5th September 2018.

Iris Stubbs Primary – Students in Grades 6, 5, 1 and Infant II will commence school on 5th September 2018 at the school compound.

All students in Infant 1, Grades 2, 3 and 4 will commence classes on Wednesday 5th September 2018 at the South Caicos Sports Complex.

Oseta Jolly Primary – All students of the Oseta Jolly Primary School will report for school at the two-storey building on Leeward Highway behind the Abundant Life International church on Wednesday, 5th September 2018.

Long Bay High School – Students in Form 1 will report for school on Monday, 3rd September and Tuesday, 4th September 2018.

Students in Form 2 will report for school on Tuesday, 4th September and Wednesday, 5th September 2018.

Students in Form 3 will report for school on Wednesday, 5th September and Thursday, 6th September 2018.

All students will report for school on Friday, 7th September 2018.

The Ministry wishes all students a successful school year.


TROPICAL WEATHER OUTLOOK (SYSTEM 2) ISSUED BY THE BAHAMAS DEPARTMENT OF METEOROLOGY FRIDAY AUGUST 31 2018.

TROPICAL WAVE: A Tropical Wave is producing a large area of cloudiness and showers from Hispaniola eastward to the Leeward Islands and the adjacent waters. This activity is forecast to spread westward to west-northwestward, but strong upper-level winds are expected to prevent any significant development of this system during the next several days. Regardless of development, this system could produce enhanced rainfall across portions of Hispaniola, the Bahamas, the Turks and Caicos Islands, and Florida into early next week. The formation chance through 48 hours to 5 day is low at 10 percent.

STORM UPDATE
NEWS ITEM

THIS IS A NEWS ITEM ON POTENTIAL TROPICAL CYCLONE SIX ISSUED BY THE BAHAMAS DEPARTMENT OF METEOROLOGY FORECAST OFFICE, AT 6AM, FRIDAY 31ST AUGUST, 2018. …TROPICAL STORM CONDITIONS EXPECTED OVER THE SOUTHERN CABO VERDE ISLANDS LATER TODAY…

AT 5AM DST, THE DISTURBANCE WAS LOCATED NEAR LATITUDE 13.6°NORTH AND LONGITUDE 21.4° WEST OR ABOUT 215 MILES EASTSOUTHEAST OF THE SOUTHERN MOST CABO VERDE ISLANDS.

THE SYSTEM IS MOVING TOWARD THE WEST-NORTHWEST AT NEAR 12 MILES PER HOUR AND THIS MOTION AT A SLIGHTLY FASTER FORWARD SPEED IS EXPECTED TO CONTINUE FOR THE NEXT THREE TO FOUR DAYS.

ON THE FORECAST TRACK THE DISTURBANCE IS EXPECTED TO MOVE NEAR OR OVER THE SOUTHERN CABO VERDE ISLANDS AS A TROPICAL STORM LATER TODAY AND TONIGHT. MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS ARE NEAR 35 MILES PER HOUR (MPH) WITH HIGHER GUSTS. SOME STRENGTHENING IS FORECAST DURING THE NEXT SEVERAL DAYS AND THE DISTURBANCE IS EXPECTED TO BECOME A TROPICAL STORM LATER TODAY. THE NEXT NEWS ITEM WILL BE ISSUED AT 12PM TODAY.