Ed Sheeran won't release an album next year

Ed Sheeran's Divide was last year's biggest-selling album, shifting 2.7 million copies in the UK, but the star has no immediate plans to follow it up.

"I'd like to bring out a project next year that isn't an album," he told BBC News.

"Something that isn't pushed on radio. Something that's not what I usually do, that just clears the air a little bit."

He added he'd "happily" take a year off when his world tour ends next September before starting his fourth album.

The news may disappoint fans, but Sheeran pointed out that spending three years on tour was "weird" and he'd need time to decompress.

The star previously took a "gap year" between his second record, Multiply, and its chart-conquering successor - time he spent whitewater rafting, swimming with bull sharks (without a cage) and bungee jumping.

However, he admitted he had never stopped writing songs.

"I'll never not make music. It's my hobby," he told the BBC's Chi Chi Izundu. "I wouldn't enjoy life if I didn't do music.

"I don't see music as work. I see this [speaking to the press] as work. No-one picks up a guitar hoping one day they're going to be interviewed."


US Open 2018: Caroline Wozniacki into second round

Australian Open champion Caroline Wozniacki beat Australian Sam Stosur 6-3 6-2 to reach the second round of the US Open in New York.

Second seed Wozniacki, 28, broke the 2011 champion's serve three times in the first set and twice in the second.

The Dane will play Ukrainian Lesia Tsurenko in round three.

Fifth seed and two-time Wimbledon champion Petra Kvitova beat Belgian Yanina Wickmayer 6-1 6-4 at Flushing Meadows.

The Czech, 28, broke serve twice to take the first set and won five successive games from 4-1 down in the second. She will face China's Yafan Wang next.

Kvitova, who reached the quarter-finals in 2017, said: "I'm not really looking too much ahead. I played great tennis here last year and it was amazing for me.

"So far this year it has been great too. It is good to be in the second round of another Grand Slam and to be playing good tennis."

Latvian 10th seed Jelena Ostapenko, the 2017 French Open champion, beat Germany's Andrea Petkovic 6-4 4-6 7-5 to set up a second-round meeting with American Taylor Townsend.

Japan's Naomi Osaka, seeded 20th, defeated German Laura Siegemund 6-3 6-2 and will play Romani's Monica Niculescu or Israel's Julia Glushko next.

Wimbledon champion and fourth seed Angelique Kerber will face Russia's Margarita Gasparyan on Louis Armstrong.

Top seed Simona Halep was knocked out in the first round on Monday


Florida shooting: EA suspends events after gamers killed

A major eSports tournament has been suspended by games publisher Electronic Arts (EA) after a shooting that saw two competitors killed on Sunday.

Three events have been cancelled while the firm conducts a "comprehensive review of safety protocols”.

EA’s chief executive Andrew Wilson said he was “filled with shock and grief” over the killings in Florida.

Taylor Robertson, 28, and Elijah Clayton, 22, were "respected, positive and skilled competitors”, he added.

Police named the killer, who later turned the gun on himself, as 24-year-old David Katz. Police said he targeted his victims but have not shared a possible motive.

The incident was partially captured on a livestream of the event being broadcast on video games site Twitch. Competitors were playing Madden NFL, EA's best-selling American Football title.

The shooting, which took place at the Jacksonville Landing shopping and entertainment complex in Florida, had prompted calls for greater security at eSports events.


Aston Martin revs up for London listing

Aston Martin is expected to confirm plans to list on the London Stock Exchange when it announces annual results on Wednesday morning.

The British sports car maker said earlier this year it was considering making its shares available to the public or looking for a buyer.

It is understood the company will seek to sell a stake worth about £1bn, valuing it at between £4bn and £5bn.

Aston Martin sold 5,000 cars last year making its first profit since 2010.

Its main shareholders, Italian private equity fund Investindustrial and a group of Kuwaiti investors, hired an investment bank to advise on options at the start of the year.

Under Andy Palmer, who left Nissan to become chief executive in 2014, Aston Martin's fortunes have been revived with the flagship DB11 coupe proving popular with buyers.

His turnaround plan have involved broadening the model range to include its first SUV, which goes into production next year.

The new models are expected to increase output "significantly" above 5,000 cars this year, Mr Palmer said.

Nissan had considered buying Aston Martin before Mr Palmer was convinced to run one of the most famous marques in motoring, but one that had been in a slow demise.

"Aston Martin has always relied on someone stepping in and injecting some more cash and saving it, but that's not the legacy I want to leave," Mr Palmer told the BBC in 2015.

Part of his strategy involves targeting female buyers - no easy task given the company has sold fewer than 4,000 cars to women in its 105-year history.

"Aston Martin must be less dependent on a narrow portfolio and one type of customer," Mr Palmer said.

It hopes to emulate the success of Italian luxury sports car rival Ferrari, which floated in New York almost three years ago.

Shares were priced at $52 and for the past two years have continued to climb, reaching almost $150 in June.

They were trading at just under $130 on Tuesday, valuing the company at about $24bn.


Toyota to invest $500m in Uber in driverless car deal

Japanese carmaker Toyota is to invest $500m (£387m) in Uber and expand a partnership to jointly develop self-driving cars.

The firm said this would involve the "mass-production" of autonomous vehicles that would be deployed on Uber's ride sharing network.

It is being viewed as a way for both firms to catch up with rivals in the competitive driverless car market.

The deal also values Uber at some $72bn, despite its mounting losses.

That is up 15% since its last investment in May but matches a previous valuation in February.

According to a press release issued by the firms, self-driving technology from each company will be integrated into purpose-built Toyota vehicles.

The fleet will be based on Toyota's Sienna Minivan model with pilot trials beginning in 2021.

Shigeki Tomoyama, executive vice president of Toyota Motor Corporation, said: "This agreement and investment marks an important milestone in our transformation to a mobility company as we help provide a path for safe and secure expansion of mobility services like ride-sharing."


Germany migrants: Protesters face off in Chemnitz

Rival protests over a murder in the east German city of Chemnitz have ended with several people injured as objects were hurled by both sides, police say.

Far-right activists had gathered in the centre for a second day as a Syrian and an Iraqi remained under arrest on suspicion of Sunday's deadly stabbing.

Anti-Nazi activists rallied just metres away, accusing the far right of using the death for political ends.

Injuries were caused when protesters on both sides threw objects, police say.

German Chancellor Angela Merkel had warned that "vigilante justice" would not be tolerated.

Police warned masked demonstrators who were picking up stones in the city, about 200km (120 miles) south of Berlin, that their actions were being filmed.

Earlier, authorities said police were investigating alleged assaults on an Afghan, a Syrian and a Bulgarian during the unrest that broke out on Sunday.

Reports have included mentions of protesters chasing foreigners, though there are few details.

Chemnitz police, quoted by the local broadcaster MDR, said: "We did not anticipate such a total of participants [on Sunday]".

Bigger crowds thronged the city centre on Monday. MDR estimated the far-right turnout to be 5,000, with some 1,000 leftists opposed to them.


BAHAMAS AND TURKS AND CAICOS ISLANDS PUBLIC FORECAST 28TH AUGUST 2018

THIS IS A PUBLIC FORECAST FOR TODAY AND TONIGHT TUESDAY 28TH AUGUST 2018 ISSUED BY THE BAHAMAS DEPARTMENT OF METEOROLOGY AT 6AM

GENERAL SITUATION: UPPER LEVEL TROUGHING ACROSS THE CENTRAL BAHAMAS ALONG WITH RICH TROPICAL MOISTURE FROM WAVES OF WEAK LOW LEVEL TROUGHING CONTINUES TO PRODUCE POCKETS OF UNSETTLED WEATHER OVER THE AREA.

SPECIAL WARNINGS: BOATERS SHOULD REMAIN VIGILANT FOR THE POSSIBILITY OF WATERSPOUT DEVELOPMENT TODAY WHILE BEACHGOERS ACROSS THE CENTRAL AND SOUTHEAST BAHAMAS SHOULD EXERCISE CAUTION FOR ROUGH SURF AND DANGEROUS RIP CURRENTS MAINLY ALONG EAST COAST BEACHES.

CENTRAL AND SOUTHEAST BAHAMAS INCLUDING THE TURKS AND CAICOS

WEATHER: PARTLY SUNNY, BREEZY AND HOT WITH FEW SCATTERED SHOWERS OR ISOLATED THUNDERSTORMS LIKELY. PARTLY CLOUDY TO FAIR SKIES AND WARM AT NIGHT WITH THE CHANCE OF A PASSING SHOWER OR TWO.

ADVISORY: SMALL CRAFT SHOULD CONTINUE TO EXERCISE CAUTION.
WINDS: EASTERLY AT 15 TO 20 KNOTS OVER OPEN WATERS.
SEAS: 4 TO 6 FEET OVER THE OCEAN.

NORTHWEST BAHAMAS

WEATHER: VARIABLY CLOUDY, HOT AND HUMID WITH SCATTERED SHOWERS OR WIDELY SCATTERED THUNDERSTORMS, SOME BECOMING HEAVY AT TIMES. PARTLY CLOUDY AND WARM TONIGHT WITH FEW LINGERING SHOWERS OR A POSSIBLE THUNDERSTORM LIKELY.

ADVISORY: BOATERS SHOULD BE ALERT FOR GUSTY WINDS AND HIGHER SEAS IN OR NEAR HEAVY SHOWERS OR THUNDERSTORMS.

WINDS: EAST TO SOUTHEAST AT 10 TO 15 KNOTS OVER OPEN WATERS.

SEAS: 2 TO 4 FEET OVER THE OCEAN.

DAYTIME HIGH TEMPERATURE: 92°F 34°C 
HEAT INDEX: 105°F 41°C
OVERNITE LOW TEMPERATURE: 77°F 25°C

SUNRISE: 6:49 AM SUNSET: 7:31 PM
MOONSET: 8:23 AM MOONRISE: 9:09 PM
HIGH TIDE: 8:45 AM & 9:02 PM 
LOW TIDE: 2:54 PM & 3:20 AM WED

EXTENDED FORECAST: UPPER LEVEL TROUGH ACROSS THE NORTHWEST AND CENTRAL BAHAMAS WILL CREATE POCKETS OF UNSETTLED WEATHER AS IT INTERACTS WITH WEAKER LOW LEVEL TROUGHS SHIFTING WESTWARDS ACROSS THE BAHAMAS.

MEANWHILE BROAD SURFACE HIGH PRESSURE RIDGE OVER THE AREA WILL PRODUCE MODERATE TO FRESH BREEZES MAINLY ACROSS THE CENTRAL AND SOUTHEAST BAHAMAS INCLUDING THE TURKS AND CAICOS ISLANDS THROUGH THURSDAY


Armed robbery in Providenciales

August 24, 2018 – Police on the Island of Providenciales are investigating an armed robbery which occurred Friday, August 24th, 2018.

According to 911 Centralat 2:57 pm, a man dressed in a blue shirt, armed with a gun robbed a Gas Station, down town of an undisclosed amount of cash before getting inside of a grey car and speeding away.

There were no reports of injuries or shots fired.

Police are appealing to members of the public who may have any information in connection with this robbery to contact police right away on 911 or Crime Stoppers at 1- 800-8477.


TURKS AND CAICOS AND BAHAMAS PUBLIC FORECAST 27TH AUGUST, 2018

THE PUBLIC FORECAST FOR 6:00 AM TODAY AND TONIGHT MONDAY 27TH AUGUST ISSUED BY THE BAHAMAS DEPARTMENT OF METEOROLOGY

GENERAL SITUATION: TROUGHING ACROSS THE BAHAMAS COMBINED WITH A MOIST AND UNSTABLE AIR MASS ACROSS THE AREA WILL CONTINUE TO SUPPORT SHOWERS AND THUNDERSTORMS AROUND THE ISLANDS TODAY.

SPECIAL WARNINGS: BOATERS SHOULD REMAIN VIGILANT DUE TO THE POSSIBILITY OF WATERSPOUT ACTIVITY AND BEACHGOERS IN THE SOUTHEAST BAHAMAS SHOULD EXERCISE CAUTION DUE TO THE RISK OF RIP CURRENTS ALONG EAST COAST BEACHES TODAY.

FOR THE SOUTHEAST BAHAMAS INCLUDING THE TURKS AND CAICOS ISLANDS

WEATHER: PARTLY SUNNY, BREEZY AND HOT WITH ISOLATED SHOWERS OR THUNDERSTORMS POSSIBLE…WARM AND BREEZY TONIGHT WITH A FEW PASSING SHOWERS POSSIBLE…

ADVISORY: SMALL CRAFT OPERATORS SHOULD EXERCISE CAUTION…

WINDS: EASTERLY AT 15 TO 20 KNOT…
SEAS: 4 TO 6 FEET OVER THE OCEAN

FOR THE NORTHWEST AND CENTRAL BAHAMAS

WEATHER: VARIABLY CLOUDY, HOT AND HUMID WITH SCATTERED SHOWERS AND ISOLATED THUNDERSTORMS TODAY, WARM AND HUMID TONIGHT WITH ISOLATED SHOWERS OR THUNDERSTORMS POSSIBLE

ADVISORY: GUSTY WINDS ANHIGHER SEAS CAN BE EXPECTED IN SHOWERS AND THUNDERSTORMS…
WINDS: EAST TO SOUTHEAST AT 10 TO 15 KNOTS…
SEAS: 2 TO 4 FEET OVER THE OCEAN…

HIGH TEMPERATURE TODAY 92F 33C 
HEAT INDEX 104F 40C
LOW TEMPERATURE TONIGHT 78F 26C

SUN 
SUNRISE: 6:49AM SUNSET: 7:32AM 
MOON 
MOONSET: 7:40AM MOONRISE: 8:33PM
TIDES
HIGH TIDE: 8:08AM 8:26PM 
LOW TIDE: 2:16PM 2:46AM TUE


Prince death: Singer's family sues doctor over opioid addiction

The family of the late US musician Prince is suing his doctor, alleging he failed to properly treat the singer for an opioid addiction.

A lawsuit filed in Minnesota, reported by ABC news, alleges that failures by Dr Michael Schulenberg played a "substantial part" in the star's death.

Prince died in 2016, aged 57, from an accidental overdose of the painkiller fentanyl, a powerful opioid.

Dr Schulenberg has denied any wrongdoing.

Earlier this year, prosecutors said no criminal charges would be brought over Prince's death.

But the family's lawsuit, filed in Hennepin County District Court on Friday, alleges that Dr Schulenberg's actions had played a part.

"He failed to appropriately evaluate, diagnose, treat and counsel Prince for his recognisable opioid addiction, and further failed to take appropriate and reasonable steps to prevent the foreseeably fatal result of that addiction," the lawsuit read, according to ABC.

"These departures from the standard of acceptable medical practice had a substantial part in bringing about Prince's death."

The family of the singer - whose real name was Prince Rogers Nelson - is seeking unspecified damages in excess of $50,000 (£39,000).

Dr Schulenberg's lawyer said they intended to defend the case, the Associated Press reported.

Paul Peterson said in a statement: "We understand this situation has been difficult on everyone close to Mr Nelson and his fans across the globe. Be that as it may, Dr Schulenberg stands behind the care that Mr Nelson received. We intend to defend this case."

As well as Dr Schulenberg, the lawsuit also names North Memorial Health Care, where Dr Schulenberg worked, Walgreens stores, which dispenses medication, and UnityPoint Health.