Witnesses and activists say that Syrian security forces have escalated detentions over the last few days, arresting hundreds of pro-democracy sympathizers including a prominent human rights campaigner.
Diana Jawabra, an outspoken critic of the crackdown in her hometown of Daraa, was forced into a car at gunpoint Monday in the capital, Damascus.
The 39-year-old Jawabra was previously arrested on March 16 and then released when President Bashar al-Assad promised reforms that failed to stop anti-government demonstrations from spreading across the country. The arrests of Jawabra and others galvanized protests in Daraa.
The New York Times cited the Syrian rights group Insan as saying it has documented more than 500 arrests in the flashpoint southern city since Thursday, and more than 300 in towns outside Damascus.
Witnesses in Daraa said troops backed by armored vehicles roamed the streets in a continuing push to crush protests against Mr. Assad. They said Syrian troops were detaining males 15 years of age and older, and had sealed off neighborhoods, dividing the city into four parts.
A government spokesman said troops had killed 10 “terrorists.” Reports say security forces are targeting prominent lawyers and activists in Daraa, which has been the center of Syria’s six-week uprising.
Fuel, water, power and communications have been severely disrupted in Daraa for more than a week. Medicine, food and baby formula are said to be scarce.
Also Monday, security police disrupted an all-women protest in Damascus, held in solidarity with the Daraa uprising.
Rights groups say at least 560 civilians have been killed in the nationwide unrest.
The Interior Ministry issued a statement Monday calling on people who have committed illegal acts to turn themselves in by May 15. It says those who go to authorities and turn in their weapons will be exempt from punishment.
Nearly all foreign media have been banned from Syria, making it almost impossible to independently confirm reports.
Al Jazeera television said Monday one of its journalists has disappeared after flying into Syria. The news organization said it lost contact with Dorothy Parvez after she disembarked from her Qatar Airways flight to Damascus.
Al Jazeera expressed concern for her safety and requested cooperation from Syrian authorities. The journalist holds American, Canadian and Iranian citizenship.



