Police in Tobago continue to investigate the disappearance of two-year-old Angelo Tobias Plaza as search efforts intensify and growing public concern grips the island.

Angelo was officially reported missing from his Goodwood Bay home around 7:30 p.m. on Monday night. However, investigators are now examining information suggesting the toddler may have disappeared sometime between Sunday night and Monday morning. The child’s mother, 22-year-old Kalifah Tobias, and her boyfriend, 25-year-old Shannon Miller, remain in police custody at separate stations as investigators continue questioning them in connection with the case. Superintendent Rodhil Kirk said police are consulting legal authorities to determine whether any charges may arise as enquiries continue.

Search operations involving police, the Coast Guard, Hunters Search and Rescue, private divers, volunteers and other agencies have continued across land and sea, but so far no sign of the child has been found. Authorities initially focused heavily on coastal searches after reports that Angelo may have wandered toward the sea. On Friday morning, a body believed to be that of the toddler was briefly spotted in rough waters off Goodwood Beach, but disappeared beneath the choppy sea before it could be recovered.
Search teams have since shifted greater attention inland, combing nearby hillsides, swampy areas, cassava fields, bushes and locations surrounding the child’s home. Hunters Search and Rescue said the search has been narrowed to specific areas based on information received during the investigation.

Meanwhile, emotions in the Goodwood community remain high as residents struggle to come to terms with the child’s disappearance. Tensions reportedly flared during search operations on Friday, with relatives and villagers becoming involved in heated confrontations near the shoreline. Residents described the atmosphere in the village as sombre, with many community members joining nightly and daily searches in hopes of finding Angelo. Several villagers said they felt heartbroken by the situation, particularly parents who identified with the family’s pain.

The Children’s Authority of Trinidad and Tobago has also issued a statement urging parents and guardians to closely supervise children at all times. The authority stressed that young children should never be left unattended, especially around potential hazards.

Police say enquiries remain ongoing amid differing accounts surrounding the toddler’s disappearance.