Pro-government forces in Libya have escalated their attacks on two western towns, terrorizing civilians and killing dozens — even as the U.S.-led coalition continued its military operation in the skies over the North African nation.

In the latest fighting, forces loyal to Libyan leader Moammar Gadhafi targeted the rebel-held cities of Misrata and Zintan, utilizing snipers, tanks and artillery.

Residents in Misrata, 200 kilometers east of Tripoli, say shelling and sniper attacks are unrelenting. Medical officials there told news agencies doctors are operating on people with bullet and shrapnel wounds in hospital corridors. Four children were among those killed Tuesday, while 40 people died in the fighting a day earlier.

In Zintan, near the Tunisian border, pro-government forces attacked with heavy weapons.

The coalition’s tactical commander, U.S. Admiral Samuel Locklear, said Tuesday that intelligence reports confirm Mr. Gadhafi’s forces are attacking civilians in Misrata in violation of a U.N. Security Council resolution.

He said the international coalition is “considering all options” regarding the situation in Libya’s third-largest city. U.S. President Barack Obama has demanded that pro-government forces pull back from Misrata and a number of other cities.

Admiral Locklear confirmed that two U.S. crewmembers have been recovered after ejecting safely from an F-15 fighter jet over Libya late Monday, when the aircraft encountered mechanical problems.

Locklear said the pilot had been found by a coalition rescue team and that the plane’s weapons officer, who was recovered by the Libyan people, was “treated with dignity and respect” before being handed over to U.S. forces.

Speaking by telephone from a U.S. warship in the Mediterranean Sea, Admiral Locklear said 13 nations have joined or are on their way to help coalition forces. He said he expects planes from Qatar – the only Arab country to provide aircraft – to be flying in the next few days.

Meanwhile, Libyan officials took journalists to see a cluster of naval shipyards in Tripoli destroyed by allied bombings Monday night that had been used to store military hardware. Among the targets were hangars where missile launchers and missile transport carriers were being stored.

The international coalition initially established the no-fly zone over the rebel stronghold of Benghazi. As more support comes in, the force plans to expand the zone a thousand kilometers to the west, to the capital, Tripoli.

Rebels driven back by pro-Gadhafi forces before the air attacks have yet to capitalize on the campaign, raising concerns that the conflict could enter a stalemate.

Poorly-organized rebel fighters trying to retake the eastern town of Ajdabiya said they were driven back by rocket and tank fire from government loyalists still controlling entrances to the city.