The United States will be increasing its financial support to the Caribbean Basin Security Initiative (CBSI) with US$77 million in funding committed for fiscal year 2011/12.

US Secretary of State, Hillary Rodham Clinton, made the announcement at a press conference held on Wednesday in Montego Bay following high-level talks with Caribbean Community (CARICOM) foreign ministers.

She said that the amount represents an increase of more than 70 percent over the US $45 million allocated in the first year of implementation in 2010.

“This support is just one piece of our broader regional security issues that we are tackling,” Clinton said.

“We are pleased with the progress that we have made so far and optimistic about what we can accomplish in the future,” she added.

One of the initiatives to come out of the inaugural Caribbean-United States Security Cooperation Dialogue held in Washington on May 27, 2010, the CBSI brings all members of CARICOM and the Dominical Republic together to collaborate jointly on regional security issues with the US as a partner.

The aim is to develop a joint strategy to tackle the full range of security and criminal threats to the Caribbean basin.

Focus is placed on tackling the illicit trafficking of drugs and guns; advancing public safety and security through programmes to reduce crime and violence and improve border security; and promoting social justice through justice sector reform, combating government corruption, and assistance to vulnerable populations at risk of recruitment into criminal organisations.