A fourth woman accusing Republican presidential hopeful Herman Cain of sexual harassment is due to speak publicly, her lawyer says.

The unnamed woman’s appearance at a news conference in New York would the first time any of Mr Cain’s accusers have made a public statement.

High-profile celebrity lawyer Gloria Allred said the woman had been harassed by Mr Cain in the 1990s.

The candidate has labelled such allegations a smear campaign.

Mr Cain, a former pizza magnate who has never won an election, is a leading contender for the Republican nomination to take on President Barack Obama in 2012.

Washington news website Politico reported a week ago that at least two women had complained of sexual harassment while Mr Cain was head of a lobby group, the National Restaurant Association, in the 1990s.

A third woman came forward days later, accusing Mr Cain of inappropriate behaviour at around the same time.

Journalists have gathered for the news conference, which is due to be held at a comedy club in Manhattan.

“A woman who alleges that she was sexually harassed by presidential hopeful, Herman Cain, when she sought his help with an employment issue when he was president of the National Restaurant Association will hold a news conference,” said a statement from Ms Allred.

Ms Allred is a discrimination attorney who has represented several high-profile clients, including a woman accused in media reports as having had an affair with golfer Tiger Woods.

Her statement continued: “The woman is not one of the three women who have previously been reported to have alleged sexual harassment by Cain.

“Ms Allred’s client will be the first to give her name and to speak out about details of what she alleges occurred between her and Cain.”

Mr Cain acknowledged last week that one woman received a financial settlement from the National Restaurant Association.

That woman – who reportedly won a $45,000 (£28,000) payout – issued a statement on Friday through her lawyer saying that Mr Cain had made a “series of inappropriate behaviours and unwanted advances”.

But despite being released from a confidentiality clause in the settlement, she said she wished to remain anonymous.

Source-BBC