President Barack Obama has nominated former deputy Pentagon chief Ashton Carter to become the next secretary of defense.
President Obama announced the choice Friday at the White House.
Carter, a physicist and high-tech weapons expert, served as deputy defense secretary from 2011 to 2013. Prior to that, he was the Pentagon’s top weapons buyer for two years.
Calling him by his nickname “Ash,” President Obama said Carter brings “a unique blend of strategic perspective and technical know how.”
He is said to hold bipartisan support in Washington, and if confirmed by the Senate, will replace Chuck Hagel, who resigned under pressure last month after just two years on the job.
Appearing alongside President Obama and Vice President Joe Biden Friday, Carter said if confirmed, he pledges to give Obama his most “candid” strategic and military advice. He also addressed the nation’s military personnel, saying he promises to serve the nation with “the same unflinching dedication” they demonstrate every day.
Hagel did not appear at the White House for the announcement, with a U.S. defense official saying he did not want to distract from the focus on Carter.
But the official said Hagel looks forward to working to ensure a speedy confirmation process for Carter and a successful transition at the Pentagon.
White House officials have publicly denied forcing Hagel to resign, but other officials have said off the record that was the case.
Hagel was the only Republican in President Obama’s Cabinet. He is the first Cabinet member to leave office since the Republicans won the Senate in November, giving the party control of both houses of Congress in January.
Source-VOA



