Cuban president says economic changes will help sustain socialism
Cuban President Raul Castro told legislators Saturday that the country's economy would undergo significant change in the coming year, but added that the measures aimed to bolster socialism -- not make Cuba a capitalist nation.
Castro has begun a radical shakeup of the Soviet-style economic model, previously announcing the elimination of one million state jobs and the expansion of private businesses. Cuba's National Assembly tapped him as the Caribbean nation's president in 2008, ending nearly five decades of rule by his older brother Fidel Castro.
As part of the plan, Cubans are being allowed and even encouraged to go into business for themselves, working as barbers, plumbers and even birthday clowns as the government tries to boost productivity.
"The measures we are applying, and all of the changes that are necessary for the modernization of the economic model, are aimed at preserving socialism, strengthening it and making it truly irreversible," said Castro, according to a copy of his speech published by the state-run website Cubadebate.
Castro has called for debates across the country before April, when the Communist Party holds its first congress in almost 14 years at which they could approve his plan.
In the speech, he insisted there should no longer be a stigma attached to working in the private sector.
"Many Cubans confuse socialism with handouts and subsidies, equality with egalitarianism," said the president, who spoke at the close of the country's National Assembly in Havana, according to Cubadebate.
The government expects the Cuban economy to grow 3.1 percent next year, up from a projected 2.1 percent growth in 2010.
"We can assure you that, this time, there will be no going back." said Castro.
US tax cuts: Obama signs compromise deal into law
US President Barack Obama has signed into law a compromise tax bill agreed with the Republicans, averting income tax rises for millions of Americans.
Mr Obama said the $858bn (651bn euros; £542bn) package was "real money that's going to make a real difference".
The deal also extends benefit payments for some of the longer-term unemployed for 13 months.
The bill passed over objections from House Democrats about tax breaks for wealthy Americans.
Mr Obama said compromise was needed to win Republican support. The $858bn package was passed by 277 votes to 148 in the House of Representatives.
"There probably is nobody on this floor who likes this bill," House Majority Leader Steny Hoyer, a Maryland Democrat, said.
"The judgment is, is it better than doing nothing? Some of the business groups believe it will help. I hope they're right."
Under a proposal the White House crafted with Republicans and announced last week, tax cuts enacted by President George W Bush in 2001 and 2003 and set to expire this year would be extended at all levels - including for the highest-earning Americans.
In addition, inheritance taxes affecting only the wealthiest Americans would be lowered and payroll taxes would be cut for a year in a bid to spur consumer spending.
Mr Obama and his Democratic allies had vigorously opposed allowing low tax rates for wealthy Americans to continue at a time of massive budget deficits, but Senate Republicans rejected Mr Obama's preferred approach and the president said he saw no option other than compromise.
When Mr Obama announced the deal last week he said it was the only way to avoid the damage to American families and the economy that would ensue if taxes were allowed to rise and long-term unemployment benefits were not extended.
Congressman Anthony Weiner, a liberal New York Democrat, said on Friday that Republicans had out-negotiated Mr Obama, describing them as "better poker players".
As liberals in Washington have railed against the deal, some conservatives also took up opposition.
They noted the bill adds to the US budget deficit, while also objecting that the low tax rates - which have the biggest impact on the deficit - are only temporary.
Bangladesh investors riot over stock market fall
Hundreds of angry investors have staged protests in the Bangladeshi capital, Dhaka, after the stock exchange saw its steepest ever fall in a day.
Reports said they threw bricks at police, marched in the streets shouting slogans, and staged a sit-down protest.
Shares in the stock exchange suffered large falls within hours of opening on Sunday as panicked investors went on a selling spree.
The index ended the day down by 552 points or 6.72%.
It has been on a rollercoaster ride in recent weeks, hitting a record high on 5 December, having climbed 80% since the start of the year.
But on 8 December it nosedived, prompting protests in Dhaka and towns elsewhere.
Slogans
On Sunday, at least 500 investors hurled bricks at law enforcement officers near the Dhaka Stock Exchange and the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) offices, said local police chief Tofazzal Hossain according to AFP news agency.
"They chanted slogans against the government and the regulators, and marched through the busy roads in the Motijheel Commercial area, halting traffic. They also staged a sit-in at the SEC building," he said.
Analysts say Sunday's index fall was triggered by a central bank interest-rate hike.
The regulators have also taken measures in recent weeks to restrict money supply into the share market after concerns that stocks were overvalued.
The move forced big institutional investors to withdraw from the market, triggering panic among individual investors.
The rising value of the stocks in recent years has attracted hundreds of thousands of small-scale or retail investors in Bangladesh, says the BBC's Anbarasan Ethirajan in Dhaka.
It became a popular investment for ordinary people, often providing higher returns than bank deposits and savings.
Regulators have now agreed to relax some of the conditions, hoping that will increase the money supply and stabilise the market, he says.
Former Bad Boy Records Rapper (G. Dep) Confesses to Murder

The New York Post is reporting that on Wednesday 36-year-old rapper, MC G. Dep, born Trevell Coleman, walked into the 25th precinct in Harlem and confessed to killing a man in 1993.
"I shot and killed someone 17 years ago," he reportedly told an officer at the precinct.
According to the Post report, Dep (pictured above) told police that he was riding a bike when he approached his victim, 32-year-old John Henkel, on Park Avenue and East 114th street near the James Weldon Johnson housing projects.
Dep, just 18 years old at the time, was planning to rob Henkel, but when he resisted, shot him three times in the chest with a .40-caliber hand gun.
He then fled from the crime scene and threw the gun into the East River. Henkel was pronounced dead at St. Luke’s hospital.
Henkel was rushed to St. Luke's Hospital, where he was pronounced dead.
When the detective reviewed the cold-case file, he was amazed to discover that Coleman's tale matched up.
Coleman, who has racked up more than 25 arrests since 2003 for drugs, burglary and grand larceny, was charged with murder, and is being held without bail.
"My client is presumed innocent, and the case is going to grand jury," said Coleman's lawyer, Michael Alperstein.
Coleman, who rapped under the name "G-Dep," was signed in 1998 to a $350,000, five-album deal with Combs' Bad Boy Records. His first album, "Child of the Ghetto," was released in 2001.
The song "Let's Get It" featured Coleman trading rhymes with Combs and fellow Bad Boy artist Black Rob.
Coleman no longer has ties to the label, a spokewoman said.
After Australia Oprah and Steadman Vacay in Figi Thru Christmas
Fresh off an Australian tour with her frenzied talk-show fans, Oprah Winfrey is taking a respite in the South Pacific island nation of Fiji, where the military regime wished her "a great time."
Fiji’s tourism minister said Winfrey was spending the Christmas holiday there and that officials wanted to respect her privacy. Local media reported she arrived Thursday and that she and longtime beau Stedman Graham were to stay until Dec. 26.
"We know she is here for a holiday and respect that, and the government obviously wants Winfrey to have a great time," Aiyaz Sayed-Khaiyum, the tourism minister, said Saturday.
Tourism on Fiji is active, though relations with other countries have been strained by the lack of democracy since a December 2006 military coup. Australia and New Zealand imposed travel bans on Fiji leaders, and international trade sanctions have been imposed, but elections have only been pushed back.
Will Michael be No.1 this week?
Michael Jackson’s first posthumous studio album is in a tight race for the No. 1 spot on Billboard next week against reigning champ Susan Boyle and former queen Taylor Swift, according to early industry prognostications.
Jackson’s "Michael" could move around 200,000 to 225,000 by week’s end on Sunday, Dec. 19. But Boyle’s "The Gift" could also sell as many copies (if not more), as could Swift’s "Speak Now," which is currently at No. 2. The Billboard 200 chart will be published on Wednesday.
Next week’s second-biggest debut will probably come from R. Kelly’s "Love Letter," which is aiming for a start around 160,000 units. A year ago, the R&B star arrived at No. 4 with "Untitled," shifting 114,000.
Diddy Dirty Money’s "Last Train to Paris" might roll into the top 15 with possibly 60,000 to 70,000. Diddy last took a bow on the list back in 2006 when his "Press Play" entered at No. 1 with 170,000.
Other new albums on tap for a significant debut next week include 2010 "American Idol" runner-up Crystal Bowersox’s "Farmer’s Daughter" (45,000 to 50,000), Tank’s "Now Or Never" (perhaps 40,000 to 45,000), and Ciara’s "Basic Instinct" (30,000 to 40,000).
Marvin Sapp is Top Billboard Gospel Chart Artist for 2010
According to Billboard Magazine’s Year-End Charts, Marvin Sapp was the top Gospel artist, and had the top Gospel Album (Here I Am) and the top Gospel Song (The Best In Me) of the year. Additionally, for the third consecutive year, Verity Gospel Music Group is the Top Gospel Album Label of the year.
Verity Gospel Music Group secured four of Billboard’s list of Top-10 Gospel Album Artists; nine of the Top-25 Gospel Albums; two of the Top-10 Hot Gospel Songs Artists, and eight of the Top-25 Hot Gospel Songs – including the top three songs on this list: "The Best In Me;" "They That Wait;" and "God Favored Me."
"Our artists and our executives work tirelessly to bring the best Gospel music to the marketplace," says James "Jazzy" Jordan, Executive Vice President, Verity Gospel Music Group. "Their talent, consistency and commitment to excellence continues to make this label #1. With Marvin Sapp, this is surely a bittersweet honor for him, but he has earned every accolade that he has received."
Verity Gospel Music Group’s 2011 releases will include WOW Gospel 2011 and new music from John P. Kee, Deitrick Haddon, Donald Lawrence, Richard Smallwood and Kirk Franklin. Verity also has 25 Stellar Award nominations, and two Grammy Award nominations.
A division of Jive Label Group, Verity Gospel Music Group is comprised of Verity Records; GospoCentric Records; Fo-Yo Soul Entertainment; Quiet Water Entertainment; F. Hammond Music and New Life Records. Verity Gospel Music Group is based in New York and has offices in Nashville, TN.
Larry King Tonight ends on CNN
Veteran US broadcaster Larry King has presented the final edition of his long-running CNN talk show after 25 years with the cable news channel.
The 77-year-old fought back tears as he told his audience: "Thank you, and instead of Goodbye, how about So Long?"
President Barack Obama paid tribute to the star in a taped message, in which he said his show had "opened our eyes to the world beyond our living rooms".
Larry King Live has ended after more than 6,000 shows and 50,000 interviews.
Former tabloid editor and talent show judge Piers Morgan will take over his coveted time slot in January.
Thursday's edition saw former president Bill Clinton make his 29th appearance on the show via satellite from Arkansas, while crooner Tony Bennett sang The Best is Yet to Come.
California Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger appeared to announce he had made 16 December "Larry King Day" in his state as US TV stars Ryan Seacrest and Bill Maher joined King in his New York studio.
"This is not Larry's funeral. He's hopefully going to be in our living rooms for a lot of years to come," said comedian Maher.
"This is the end of a show, not the end of a man."
"You're not going to see me go away, but you're not going to see me on this set any more," King said.
The broadcaster has promised to "still be a part of the CNN family", saying he planned to host special one-off programmes.
The new draft legislation is now scheduled for early January
Draft legislation dealing with the licensing and operating of public service vehicles is now complete.
The Ministry of Home Affairs has announced that, after much detailed consultation with relevant stakeholders, taking into consideration the
views of Taxi Associations and Hotel operators, draft legislation dealing with the licensing and operating of public service vehicles is now
complete.
The draft legislation was scheduled to be taken before the Advisory Council at their last sitting for their approval and forwarded to the
Consultative Forum for debate. Regrettably, due to circumstances beyond the control of the Ministry of Home Affairs, this was not possible.
The new draft legislation is now scheduled to be presented to the first sitting of the Advisory Council in early January and to the Consultative
Forum shortly thereafter.
The Ministry of Home Affairs has expressed thanks to all concerned for their patience in resolving this matter and urges stakeholders to remain
patient, pending introduction of the new legislation and to continue to work together in the best interests of the industry and our economy.
The new legislation will bring order to the transport industry which the Ministry recognises, has been in need of a new legal platform for very
many years.
Beaches remain unbeaten
Beaches remain unbeaten as they handed the Jamaican All-stars the first defeat of the Monster energy Drink 20/20 competition which continued on
Saturday 11 December, 2010 at the Downtown Ball Park Providenciales.
Beaches won the toss and decided to take first strike and made an impressive total of 191 runs for 5 wickets from 20 overs. The top scorer
was Ricardo Brown with 43 runs 4 4s and 2 6s. Other useful contributions came from Anthony McKnight 33 runs and Osmond Sicard 33 runs.
Bowling for Jamaican All stars Calvin Aaron took 2 wickets for 28 runs from 4 overs and Damian young had 2 wickets for 57 runs from 40 Overs.
The All-stars in reply were dismissed for 111 runs from 17.2 overs. The top scorer was Austin Francis with 23 runs.
For Beaches, Martinique Williams captured 4 wickets for 20 runs from 4 overs.
