Costa Rica Supreme Court rules against same-sex marriage ban

Costa Rica's Supreme Court has ruled that the country's same-sex marriage ban is unconstitutional and discriminatory.

The court ruling gives the country's legislators a time limit of 18 months to change the current law.

The president welcomed the ruling, saying he wants to guarantee "no person will face discrimination for their sexual orientation".

However many lawmakers are evangelicals who strongly oppose gay marriage.

A Supreme Court judge, Fernando Castillo, told a press conference on Wednesday that the ban will automatically cease to legally exist in 18 months, even if no action is taken by the legislature.

The legislative chamber has 57 seats - 14 of which are held by evangelical members.

Late Wednesday's ruling complies with a judgement issued in January by the Inter-American Human Rights Court that said same-sex marriage should be recognised by all of its signatory members.

Enrique Sanchez, the country's first openly gay legislator, told AFP that he did not believe the assembly would work out a law change between themselves.

He is a member of the Citizen Action Party, led by President Carlos Alvarado who came to power on a pro-LGBT platform.


NFL players kneel, raise fists or sit out National Anthem as preseason gets in full swing

The NFL's warmup games are in full swing -- and the National Anthem protests are back.

Several players on Thursday took a knee, raised a fist or did not take to the field while the anthem was played before a dozen games, as the league's first full week of preseason contests kicked off.

This comes just weeks after the league suspended what was supposed to be a new policy barring such demonstrations.

The anthem protests -- meant to draw attention to racial injustice -- have happened with varying participation since 2016, pulling the NFL into a public debate that has seen President Donald Trump call on team owners to stem them.

In Philadelphia, Eagles defensive end Michael Bennett walked out of the tunnel Thursday during the anthem and headed to the team bench ahead of a game against the visiting Pittsburgh Steelers, the Philadelphia Daily News reported.

Eagles captain Malcolm Jenkins and cornerback De'Vante Bausby raised their fists during the song.

"I just think it's important to keep this conversation going, that we don't let it get stagnant," Jenkins said after the game, according to NFL.com. "You know, as we understand it, everybody's kind of waiting to see what the league is going to do. ... It's just my personal decision to keep these things at the forefront."


Stephen Curry says Trump's LeBron tweet was 'based in some long-standing racism’

Warriors superstar Stephen Curry is accusing President Donald Trump of racism after the president insulted LeBron James and CNN host Don Lemon on Twitter last week.

Last Friday, Trump's tweeted, "Lebron James was just interviewed by the dumbest man on television, Don Lemon. He made Lebron look smart, which isn't easy to do. I like Mike!" The tweet was widely criticized, with many calling the tweet racist.

According to the Mercury News, Curry stated on Tuesday night that Trump's tweet was "based in some longstanding racism."

"Frustration," Curry said. "That rhetoric is all based in some longstanding racism in terms of black men with a voice in power. Unfortunately, that's being revealed more and more as the days go on."


Venezuela exporting oil through Cuba to avoid sanctions

In an attempt to dodge international sanctions, the state owned Venezuelan oil company, PDVSA, is now running oil out of Cuba by transferring shipments between tankers at the island’s north-western port town of Matanzas.

Thomson-Reuters reports that, according to their shipping data tracked over the course of the last three months, Venezuelan tankers have been docking at Matanzas, transferring the oil from one tanker to another, and then transporting that oil to other countries in Asia, as their tracking data have showed that at least two tankers filled with over 500,000 barrels of fuel-oil had left Matanzas by way of Venezuela en route to Singapore.

The use of the port at Matanzas is not new, as PDVSA, through Cuba’s state-run oil firm Cupet, has used Matanzas to store Venezuelan crude and fuel in the past but exports from the terminal to Asian destinations are rare.

In another sanctions dodging tactic, PDVSA in the past used its own or leased tankers to bring Russian crude from storage in the nearby Dutch Caribbean island of Curacao to Cienfuegos. But it is now transferring the imported Russian oil at sea in Cayman Islands’ waters.


Student kills herself after rape, adding to outrage over sexual violence in South Africa

The death of a 23-year-old student, who killed herself two months after she alleged she was raped has renewed anger over sexual violence against women in South Africa. Khensani Maseko, a student at the Rhodes University in Grahamstown, said she was raped by another student in May, according to a statement by the university.

On August 3, the day she took her own life, Maseko posted a cryptic message on social media."No one deserves to be raped," she wrote and posted on Instagram with a picture showing what is believed to be her date of birth and that day's date. Maseko's account has since been removed from Instagram.

Rhodes University confirmed her death and said authorities held a meeting with Maseko's parents after she reported in July that she had been raped.The university says it was agreed that Maseko should be taken home pending an investigation into her allegations.

The third-year student died a few days before her scheduled return to the university, where she was to meet with those investigating the case at the institution.The man accused of the rape has been suspended, the university said in the statement posted on its website , adding that it was working with South Africa's police and the National Prosecuting Authority to launch an inquest into Maseko's death. Police have not released the suspect's name.

"The tragic passing of Khensani will not mark an end to the investigation into the circumstances leading up to her passing," Rhodes University Vice-Chancellor Dr. Sizwe Mabizela said.The university's flag will be flown at half-staff to honor Maseko, Mabizela added.


Canada shooting: Four dead including two police in Fredericton

Canadian police say a suspect is in custody after at least four people were killed in a shooting in the eastern city of Fredericton, New Brunswick.

Two of the victims were local police officers, the city police said on Twitter.

The pair have not been named, and the circumstances around the incident remain unclear.

Police have advised residents of Brookside Drive to "stay in their homes with doors locked at this time".

A local TV reporter said he heard four gunshots just after 07:00. Nick Moore, a journalist from CTV Atlantic, posted video footage of the scene on Twitter, showing emergency vehicles outside a house.

"Awful news coming out of Fredericton," Canada's Prime Minister Justin Trudeau tweeted.

"My heart goes out to everyone affected by this morning's shooting. We're following the situation closely."

Fredericton is the capital of New Brunswick province and home to around 56,000 people.

Gun laws are more stringent in Canada than in the US, but the number of shootings has nonetheless risen in recent years.


Cop uses Taser on 11-year-old girl accused of shoplifting at grocery store

Cincinnati's mayor and other city officials are criticizing the actions of an off-duty officer who used a stun gun on an 11-year-old girl suspected of theft at a grocery store. The officer was on an "outside employment detail" for the store when he investigated several girls, all juveniles, allegedly stealing items, according to a news release from the Cincinnati Police Department. The officer approached the 11-year-old but she walked away, ignoring several commands to stop, the release said.

He fired his Taser at the girl, striking her in the back, according to the release. The girl was taken into custody and charged with theft and obstructing official business. She was evaluated at a local hospital and then released to a parent's custody. "Tasing an 11-year old who posed no danger to the police is wrong. I'm sorry for the harm to her and her family," Mayor John Cranley said in a statement released Wednesday.

Cranley said he asked prosecutors to drop chargers against the girl, and they agreed. The police department is doing a "very thorough review" of the incident and its use-of-force policies, Police Chief Eliot K. Isaac said. "We are extremely concerned when force is used by one of our officers on a child of this age," Isaac said in a statement. The officer, who has not been identified, was placed on restricted duty "pending the outcome of the investigation," Isaac's statement said.

The girl's mother, Donna Gowdy, said "If you can't handle an 11-year-old child, then you really need to get off the police force. You here to protect these kids,".

Cincinnati Fraternal Order of Police President Dan Hils defended the officer, saying, "I find it disheartening that police and city leaders abandon this officer who was simply doing his job," Hils added.

Cincinnati police procedures allow the use of a stun gun on suspects as young a 7. City Vice-Mayor Chris Smitherman released a statement saying he has introduced a motion to raise the age to 12.


Lindsay Lohan Says Anyone Who Joins The #MeToo Movement Looks Weak

Lindsay Lohan is throwing her name in the hat for the least popular opinion of 2018 in pretty spectacular style. 

The actress had some bizarrely harsh words for those who have spoken out in the powerful #MeToo movement which began after the Hollywood sexual misconduct scandal.

Speaking in an interview with the Times the 32-year-old discussed her own on-set experiences in Hollywood stating that she didn’t “really have anything to say” about the movement which started last year.

“I can’t speak on something I don’t live, right? Look, I am very supportive of women. Everyone goes through their own experiences in their own ways”. 

She went on to discuss woman that have experienced sexual harassment, questioning the timing in which they decided to raise attention to the incidents.

“If it happens at that moment, you discuss it at that moment.”

“You make it a real thing by making it a police report,”

 

“I’m going to really hate myself for saying this, but I think by women speaking against these things, it makes them look weak when they are very strong women.”

Lohan went on to question the motive behind some of the accusations.

“You have these girls who come out, who don’t even know who they are, who do it for the attention. That is taking away from the fact that it happened.”

Lohan now co-owns a beach bar in Mykonos, Greece. In the interview she cited an infamous fight with her ex-fiance, Egor Tarabasov, on the very beach as the inspiration for her success abroad.

“I had a fight with my ex on this very beach. What did I do? Nothing,” she said.

“I just took over the beach. The best revenge is success, right?”

I mean, yeah the beach bar story, pretty damn cool. The comments about #MeToo, not so much.

 

The #MeToo movement started after allegations of sexual misconduct surfaced against some of the biggest names in Hollywood, including Harvey Weinstein and Kevin Spacey.

#MeToo was used to demonstrate the prominence of sexual assault in the workplace.


BAHAMAS AND TURKS AND CAICOS ISLANDS PUBLIC FORECAST 10th AUGUST, 2018

WEATHER: MOSTLY SUNNY AND HOT WITH THE CHANCE OF A FEW ISOLATED SHOWERS OR THUNDERSTORMS MAINLY ACROSS THE EXTREME NORTHWEST BAHAMAS.

WINDS: LIGHT AND VARIABLE IN THE NORTHWEST BAHAMAS AND EASTERLY AT 10 TO 15 KNOTS IN THE CENTRAL BAHAMAS AND SOUTHEAST BAHAMAS INCLUDING THE TURKS AND CAICOS ISLANDS.

SEAS: LESS THAN 3 FEET IN THE NORTHWEST BAHAMAS AND 2 TO 4 FEET IN THE CENTRAL AND SOUTHEAST BAHAMAS INCLUDING THE TURKS AND CAICOS ISLANDS.


28-year-old dies in car crash confirm TCI Police

A terrible road accident on South Dock road near Tropical Shipping has resulted in the death of a young man.

Police report this morning that, “Shortly after 2 a.m., on Thursday, August 9, 2018, Police Traffic Division and EMT’s responded to a vehicular accident on the South Dock Road near Tropical Shipping. A 28-year-old male was taken from the scene by ambulance and later succumbed to injuries at Hospital. The exact cause of the crash involving a grey Suzuki Swift is still under investigation.”

At this stage in the investigation, no identity is being released.