Apple removes 'wrong apps' in gambling purge
Apple has been accused of accidentally removing apps from the App Store in a crackdown on gambling content.
Several developers complained via social media that their apps, which they said had nothing to do with gambling, were taken down.
The affected apps included a Polish magazine, a gif-sharing service and a platform for sending clips of Xbox games to friends.
The BBC has contacted Apple for comment.
A message sent to affected developers said that Apple was removing gambling-related apps made by individuals in an effort to "reduce fraudulent activity... and comply with government requests to address illegal online gambling activity".
Recently, Norway succeeded in getting Apple to ban all gambling apps from its App Store in the country, although the recent removals appear to have been effected worldwide.
Some of the removed apps are now coming back online.
"Apple says these apps contain gambling but they don't reveal how they have detected this," said Simon Stovring, a Copenhagen-based developer behind a gif-sharing app called Gifferent.
"It seems like an unfortunate but honest mistake," he told the BBC.
Mr Stovring said about 10 fellow-developers had contacted him to say that they too had been hit by the ban.
Wojtek Pietrusiewicz, co-owner of the Polish app iMagazine, said it had also been "caught in the crossfire".
US suspect was 'training children to commit school shootings'
A man arrested after 11 malnourished children were found in a remote desert compound was training them to commit school shootings, US media report.
According to prosecutors' documents, Siraj Ibn Wahhaj was teaching some of the children, who are aged one to 15, how to use weapons.
Mr Wahhaj was one of two armed men arrested at the scene on Friday in New Mexico. Three women were also arrested.
Police say the remains of a boy were also discovered at the compound. Found on Monday, the remains are those of Mr Wahhaj's missing three-year-old son, Abdula-Ghani Wahhaj, the Taos News reports.
Mr Wahhaj is suspected of abducting the boy from his Georgia home in December, and it was the search for him that led to the arrests. The toddler suffered from seizures according to the missing person's report filed by his mother. But Mr Wahhaj believed the boy needed to be exorcised, say court papers.
Mr Hasson requested that Mr Wahhaj be held without bail.
"He poses a great danger to the children found on the property as well as a threat to the community as a whole due to the presence of firearms and his intent to use these firearms in a violent and illegal manner," Mr Hasson wrote in court documents.
The complaint cites a foster parent of one of the 11 children as saying Mr Wahhaj "had trained the child in the use of an assault rifle in preparation for future school shootings", US media say.
Three women, believed to be the children's mothers, were also "arrested without incident" and booked into the Taos Adult Detention Center, according to the sheriff's office.
The officers who discovered the children said they looked "like Third World country refugees not only with no food or fresh water, but with no shoes, personal hygiene and basically dirty rags for clothing".
Police said they had been aware of the compound for some time but had to wait for a search warrant before entering, as the occupants were "most likely heavily armed and considered extremist of the Muslim belief".
Argentina abortion: Senate defeats bill after polarising debate
Argentina's senate has rejected a bill which would have legalised abortion in the first 14 weeks of pregnancy.
After a marathon debate, 38 senators voted against it and 31 in favour. Its defeat means lawmakers must wait until next year to resubmit legislation.
Currently abortion is allowed in Argentina only in cases of rape, or if the mother's health is in danger.
Some pro-choice campaigners started fires and lobbed missiles at police in Buenos Aires after the vote.
Demonstrators on both sides of the debate had rallied outside parliament as voting took place.
Anti-abortion activists have been jubilant. "It's a joy to see that our society can be based on such an important principle as the defence of the most defenceless, the child," said one.
Yemen war: Children killed in air strike on bus
Dozens of people, many of them children, have been killed or wounded in a Saudi-led coalition air strike in rebel-held northern Yemen.
The bus was travelling through Dahyan market in Saada province at the time.
The health ministry run by the rebel Houthi movement said at least 43 people were killed. The Red Cross said most of the victims were under 10 years old.
The coalition, which is backing Yemen's government in a war with the Houthis, said its actions were "legitimate".
"[The air strike] conformed to international and humanitarian laws," spokesman Col Turki al-Malki said in a statement.
He added that the coalition had responded to ballistic missile launches by the rebels, which he said had targeted civilians in the southern Saudi city of Jizan.
The coalition has insisted it never deliberately targets civilians but human rights groups have accused it of bombing markets, schools, hospitals and residential areas over the past three years.
The head of the ICRC's delegation in the country later said "scores" had been killed, with many casualties under the age of 10. He added that the organisation was sending additional supplies to hospitals in the area.
WEATHER FORECAST FOR BAHAMAS AND TURKS AND CAICOS 9TH AUGUST, 2018
GENERAL SITUATION: HIGH PRESSURE RIDGE PRODUCING STABLE CONDITIONS ACROSS THE COUNTRY TODAY.
SPECIAL WARNINGS: BEACHGOERS IN THE SOUTHEAST BAHAMAS SHOULD EXERCISE CAUTION DUE TO THE RISK OF RIP CURRENTS AT EAST COAST BEACHES.
ALL AREAS
WEATHER: MOSTLY SUNNY AND HOT WITH FEW ISOLATED SHOWERS MAINLY OFFSHORE TODAY. FAIR AND WARM WITH THE SLIGHT CHANCE OF A FEW ISOLATED SHOWERS MAINLY ACROSS THE EXTREME NORTHWEST BAHAMAS TONIGHT.
ADVISORY: SMALL CRAFT CAUTION REMAINS IN EFFECT FOR THE SOUTHEAST BAHAMAS INCLUDING THE TURKS AND CAICOS ISLANDS.
WINDS: VARIABLE AT LESS THAN 10 KNOTS IN THE NORTHWEST AND CENTRAL BAHAMAS AND EASTERLY AT 15 TO 20 KNOTS OVER OPEN WATERS IN THE SOUTHEAST BAHAMAS INCLUDING THE TURKS AND CAICOS ISLANDS.
SEAS: 3 FEET OR LESS IN THE NORTHWEST AND CENTRAL BAHAMAS…4 TO 7 FEET OVER THE OCEAN IN THE SOUTHEAST BAHAMAS INCLUDING THE TURKS AND CAICOS ISLANDS.
DAYTIME HIGH TEMPERATURE: 92°F 33°C
OVERNITE LOW TEMPERATURE: 79°F 26°C
HEAT INDEX: 105°F 41°C
SUNRISE: 06:41AM MOONSET: 06:27PM LOW TIDE: 11:29AM
SUNSET: 07:47PM MOONRISE: 05:40AM FRI. HIGH TIDE: 05:56P
LOW TIDE: 12:24AM FRI.
HIGH TIDE: 06:16AM FRI.
EXTENDED FORECAST: HIGH PRESSURE RIDGE WILL REMAIN THE DOMINANT WEATHER FEATURE THROUGHOUT THE WEEKEND.
FUTURE LEADERS IN THE TURKS AND CAICOS ISLANDS PUBLIC SECTOR URGED TO APPLY FOR A CHEVENING SCHOLARSHIP TO STUDY IN THE UK
Applications open 6th August 2018 – 6th November 2018
Talented professionals from throughout the Turks and Caicos Islands public sector are able to apply for a fully-funded one year Master’s Degree, under the UK’s Flagship scholar programme supported by the Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) and partner organizations.
The Chevening Scholarship Programme is a global scholarship programme aimed at future leaders. Scholarships are awarded to individuals with demonstrable leadership potential who also have strong academic backgrounds. The scholarship offers full financial support for future leaders to study for any eligible master’s degree at any UK university whilst gaining access to a wide range of exclusive academic, professional, and cultural events.
TCI has been successful in having five talented individuals awarded this Scholarship in the past four years. Mrs. Kenisha Bacchus, who currently works as a Legal Consul for the TCI Financial Services Commission (awarded in 2014), Miss Myrlchina Lewis, Financial Manager within the Accountant General’s Office (awarded in 2015), Mrs. Lormeka Morley-Williams who has also recently been appointed as Deputy Director within the Department of Environmental and Coastal Resources(awarded in 2016), Mrs. Jasmine Parker-Thomas is currently in the UK finishing up her studies (awarded in 2017) and Ms. Chandra Craigg who has been awarded for 2018 to study an MSc in Marketing and Digital strategy.
The Governor, Dr. John Freeman said:
“We are looking for ambitious, professional, forward-thinking leaders from any walk of life. There is no such thing as a “typical” Chevening Scholar, but one thing that all of our previous scholars have in common is that they were bold enough to step forward and apply.
‘If you are chosen for Chevening, you will receive a first-rate UK education which can open doors in your career. You will also become part of the global Chevening Alumni network full of dynamic influencers who have shared the same experience as you will, and can offer mentorship, advice, and contacts.
There is a lot to potentially gain from submitting a thoughtful application, so if you or someone you know has what it takes to be a Chevening Scholar, I would encourage you to apply before the 6 November deadline.”
IN ORDER TO SUMBIT AN ELIGIBLE CHEVENING SCHOLARSHIP APPLICANTS MUST:
Be a Citizen of a Chevening-eligible country, and return there for a minimum of two years after completing their scholarship.
Have completed an undergraduate degree
Have at least two years’ work experience
Be able to meet the Chevening minimum English Language Requirement
Be able to obtain the correct visa, and receive an unconditional offer from a UK university
Chevening Scholarship offers a monthly stipend, travel to and from your country, a thesis or dissertation grant and tuition fees.
Applicants should read the online guidance and be able to demonstrate how they meet the Chevening selection criteria before submitting an application. Further details of closing dates and priority subject’s areas are available at
www.chevening.org/apply
For more Information Contact the Chevening Officer- Mr. Neville Misick
Email: Neville.misick@fco.gov.uk
Telephone: +1649 -946-2308/9
Honouring our Ancestors - Emancipation Day 2018 celebration
A long-standing local tradition, the Emancipation Day celebration took place on August 1st, 2018 under the theme, “Honouring the Ancestors: Celebrating the unbreakable spirit and tenacity of the People of the Turks & Caicos Islands.”
The local commemoration of what is known throughout the Caribbean as “August Monday” was observed through authentic African Drumming, cultural dance, poetry, spoken words, and local music.
Cheshire Hall Plantation on Providenciales, provided the perfect venue for the event – a 200-year old historical site which was both home and the place of work for thousands of plantation slaves back in the 18th century. Dr. Dellareese Higgs, Education Manager at TCNT told guests, “This plantation should remind us of our ancestors who toiled on this soil, and created a history filled with pride and ingenuity in their quest for survival. We are the roots, the lineage of these great people.”
The observance celebrated freedom and achievements, and encouraged participants as well as spectators from all over the island about continuous self-development and respect for all cultures.
Coordinated by cultural enthusiast and artist Mr. David Bowen, and executed through the collaboration between the Turks & Caicos National Trust, Turks & Caicos Museum and the Department of Culture, activities were centred upon the theme – with the spiritual walk and prayers at the ‘Great House’ as one of the highlights.
Among the performers were: Sea Breeze Rip Saw Band, TUCA Cultural Group & Drummers, Sara Goldsmith & Negro Spiritual Choir; Spoken Word Artists: Cora Malcolm, Derek Rolle, Beth Atkins, Levinia Bishop & Steven Wilson.
The event, a celebration of 180 years of freedom, was attended by the Premier, Hon. Sharlene Cartwright-Robinson, Hon. Karen Malcolm, Minister responsible for Education, Youth, Culture and Library Services, and Hon. Ralph Higgs Minister responsible for Tourism, Environment, Heritage, Maritime and Gaming.
Pastor Goldston Williams ended the event with a prayer uplifting the people of the people of the Turks and Caicos Islands and paying homage to the ancestors who paved the way and left behind a legacy to be proud of.
PUBLIC AWARENESS ON THE DISEASE KNOWN AS "CANINE TRANSMISSIBLE VENEREAL TUMOR" IN DOGS
The Department of Agriculture acknowledges the presence of the disease known as "Canine Transmissible Venereal Tumor" (CTVT) on the Turks and Caicos Islands. Cases have been found on the islands of Grand Turk, Salt Cay, South Caicos and until recently, suspected cases were seen in Providenciales.
Canine Transmissible Venereal Tumor (CTVT) also called TVT or Sticker's Sarcoma is a cancer that is transmitted mainly by sexual contact in DOGS ONLY. It may also be transferred during childbirth, mother grooming her puppies and by social behaviors such as licking, sniffing or scratching. It poses NO threat or risk to humans or any other animal species. But is commonly spread in areas where there is a roaming or stray dog population and amongst dogs that are not sterilized i.e. Spayed or neutered. The disease is treatable once diagnosed early.
We are asking the public to be aware of the more noticeable signs of CTVT which is usually seen on the male and female genitals of the dog, this includes:
- Blood from the genitals
- Protrusion of a "cauliflower like" growth or tumor from the genitals
- Straining to urinate
- Disfigured or unusual swollen genitals
- Excessive licking of the genitals
It can also be seen on the face, mouth, nostrils and abdomen, however, you will need your veterinarians assistance to diagnose these cases.
If any of the aforementioned signs are seen, immediately:
- Take your dog to a veterinarian to be examined and treated if applicable.
- Report any sightings of strays and roaming animals with these lesions to the Department of Agriculture located at 16 Parade Avenue, Butterfield Square, Providenciales, Telephone 1(649)9465801, E-mail:agriculture@gov.tc
VENDOR PAYMENT PROTOCOL
PUBLIC NOTICE
ACCOUNTANT GENERALS DEPARTMENT (TREASURY)
VENDOR PAYMENT PROTOCOL
The Treasury has been receiving requests to make changes in respect of the names in which payments are made. This directive seeks to clarify the protocol which is applied.
- Payments will be made in the name in which an invoice is submitted.
It is the duty of the vendor and then contracting department to ensure that the invoice is accurate as the vendor's details.
Trading Under a Business Name
It is best practice that the business operates a bank account in the name of the business.
- Where there is no incorporated entity and there is a person trading under a business name that vendor should ensure that the invoice reflects "the name of the individual trading as [Business Name]"
- Where there is no incorporated entity and there are two (2) or more persons trading under a business name, if there is no bank account in the name of the business the following process will obtain:
- The partners need to go to the Business License Unit at the Revenue Department.
- Complete and sign a Payment Authorization Form indicating the partner(s) to whom any payment may be made (see attached sample).
- The Revenue Department will forward a copy of the signed Payment Authorization Form to the Treasury.
- Treasury will then make payment(s) accordingly
Former Barbados minister charged with laundering
The former minister of industry of Barbados was arrested in Florida on Friday and had his initial court appearance on Monday in connection with an indictment charging him with laundering bribes that he allegedly received from a Barbadian insurance company in exchange for official actions he took to secure government contracts for the insurance company.
Donville Inniss, 52, a US legal permanent resident who resided in Tampa, Florida, and Barbados, was charged in an indictment with one count of conspiracy to launder money and two counts of money laundering. The indictment was returned under seal by a federal grand jury sitting in Brooklyn, New York, on March 15.
“Donville Inniss allegedly used the US financial system to launder bribes he received while serving as a government official in Barbados,” said assistant attorney general Brian Benczkowski. “These charges demonstrate the commitment of the Department and our law enforcement partners to hold accountable anyone who seeks to use our financial system to promote or launder the corrupt proceeds of their crimes.”
“As charged in the indictment, Inniss abused his position of trust as a government official by taking bribes from a Barbadian company, then laundered the illicit funds through a bank and a dental company located in the Eastern District of New York,” said US Attorney Richard Donoghue. “The Department of Justice will continue to hold accountable corrupt government officials here or abroad who use the US financial system to facilitate their criminal conduct.”
