Arizona care worker accused of migrant shelter child abuse

A former youth worker at a shelter for migrant children in Arizona has pleaded not guilty to sexually abusing eight boys under his care.

Levian Pacheco, 25, is charged with committing 11 sex crimes between August 2016 and July 2017 at the privately operated housing centre. Records show he is HIV-positive, and some of the boys are undergoing testing for the sexually transmitted virus.

The news comes days after another care worker was charged with a sex crime. Prosecutors say the boys Mr Pacheco allegedly targeted at the Casa Kokopelli facility in Mesa were all between the ages of 15 to 17.

He was employed by Southwest Key, a Texas-based non-profit that is the largest organisation contracted by the US government to house undocumented immigrant children.

A number of the over 2,000 children who were separated from their parents after crossing the US-Mexico border without papers have been held at Southwest Key facilities.

Mr Pacheco's lawyer told US media the allegations include an "extraordinarily broad range of dates and lack of specificity". The allegations predate the Trump administration's since-reversed "zero tolerance" policy, which led to the separation of illegal immigrant families.

This is the third known arrest of a Southwest Key staff member related to allegations of child molestation at a housing facility, US media report.


Swedish police kill man with Down's syndrome carrying toy gun

A young man fatally shot by Swedish police while carrying a toy gun in Stockholm had Down's syndrome and a form of autism, local media report. Officers opened fire on Eric Torell, 20, in response to what they described as a "threatening situation" in the early hours of Thursday morning.

He was reported missing after leaving home hours earlier, his family said. Eric's mother, Katarina Söderberg, said the toy was a gift and she described her son as "the world's kindest man".

MS Soderberg said that Eric was severely disabled and struggled with his speech, only ever really using the word "mum".

She described the plastic toy he was carrying at the time of the shooting as "like a submachine gun". "It's impossible to understand. He wouldn't hurt a fly," Ms Söderberg said.

The incident occurred at about 04:00 local time in the Vasastan district of the Swedish capital, Stockholm, after police responded to reports of a man in possession of a gun.Three officers reportedly arrived at the scene and approached Eric before ordering him to discard what they believed to be a dangerous weapon. He was then shot after failing to comply and acting "threateningly", police said.

Eric was taken to hospital but was later confirmed dead from his injuries. Ms Söderberg said her son had left home a number of times previously but had always been found or returned.An investigation into possible police misconduct is now under way, Expressen reported.


Dengue fever outbreak stopped by special mosquitoes

Australian researchers say for the first time an entire city has been protected from viral disease dengue.

Captive-bred mosquitoes with a naturally occurring bacteria were released in the city of Townsville, where they mated with local mosquitoes.

By spreading the bacteria Wolbachia, which hinders dengue transmission, the city has been dengue-free since 2014.

Researchers from Monash University also believe their work could stop mosquito-borne diseases Zika and malaria.

"Nothing we've got is slowing these diseases down - they are getting worse," said Scott O'Neill, director of the World Mosquito Program, quoted by the Guardian.

"I think we've got something here that's going to have a significant impact and I think this study is the first indication that it's looking very promising."

"At a cost of around A$15 (£8.50) per person, the Townsville trial demonstrates the approach can be rolled out quickly, efficiently and cost effectively to help provide communities ongoing protection from mosquito-borne diseases," Professor O'Neill said.

The programme is currently working in 11 countries and aims to deploy the Wolbachia mosquitoes in larger and poorer parts around the world with a target of reducing the cost to just US$1 (75p) per person.


WWE star Glenn Jacobs, aka Kane, elected mayor in Tennessee

A WWE star who made his name playing "a monstrous abomination" in the ring has been elected mayor in Tennessee.

Glenn Jacobs, who wrestling fans will know better as Kane, won two-thirds of the vote in Knox County, beating Democrat Linda Haney.

The 51-year-old Republican ran on issues like keeping taxes low, improved infrastructure and "transparency".

He is the second WWE star to win public office in the US, following in Jesse Ventura's footsteps.

It is unclear if the wrestler now plans to hang up his mask for good, in order to allow him to focus on his political career. He last appeared as Kane just a few weeks ago, in June.

Mr Jacobs, who also owns an insurance business in Knoxville, will be sworn in as mayor on 1 September.

In the meantime, Knox County's reporters are no doubt scrambling for ideas on how best to interview the 6ft 8in mayor. Luckily, at least one of them had a crate on hand on Thursday.


FortisTCI Ltd. 'BBB' Credit Rating Affirmed with Negative Outlook

Providenciales, Turks and Caicos Islands (Thursday, August 2, 2018) – Global independent credit rating agency Standard & Poor’s (S&P) announced on Friday, July 27, 2018, that it is maintaining a ‘BBB’ global corporate rating for FortisTCI Limited (the “Company”). However, the agency said, “We are revising our outlook to negative from stable on weaker financial metrics following Hurricane Irma last year.”

S&P reported in their rationale that, “FTCI’s 2017 cash flow measures fell after the hurricane, reflecting a 5% decline in electricity sales and increased debt to finance storm restoration costs.”

The response to Hurricanes Irma and Maria in 2017, which resulted in a restoration cost of $32 million due to damages to the transmission and distribution network across all islands, weakened the Company’s financial position. Financial improvements will only happen over time and assuming the Company meets the financial metrics based on assumptions established in S&P’s base case scenario.

These assumptions are: a return to pre-storm electricity sales in 2018, electricity sales growth of 2% to 3% annually, a rate increase of 6% in 2019 to recover hurricane costs, timely recovery of fuel costs from customers, average annual capital spending of $30 million in 2018, and no common stock dividend payments until 2020.”

Having a ‘BBB’ Corporate Credit Rating provides for more favourable financing terms, and enabled FortisTCI to access the private debt market in the United States in 2015 and 2016. It was also because of the Company’s financial strength and stable outlook that FortisTCI was able to access the local debt market, closing on a $5M bond with the Turks and Caicos Islands National Insurance Board in 2016, providing a credit grade investment opportunity for the pensions of the people of this country. Maintaining an investment-grade credit rating is critical to the Company’s business model. 

FortisTCI President and CEO Eddinton Powell said, “Considering the current business environment, we are pleased to have maintained our credit rating during this recent S&P review. We know that the Company must regain its financial footing to avoid a further downgrade and we are committed to restoring our financial health.”

Mr. Powell added, “FortisTCI operates in a highly capital intensive environment and must have access to the competitive capital markets locally and abroad. This access allows the Company to obtain the necessary funding for major investments in energy infrastructure that serve the people of Turks and Caicos Islands, and give the Company the ability to respond to disasters as we did last year following Hurricanes Irma and Maria.”

FortisTCI has filed a rate variation application, which if approved, will aid the Company in restoring its financial strength. A copy of the full S&P Global report is available on the FortisTCI website at www.fortistci.com/news

 


POLICE SEEK PUBLIC'S HELP IN SOLVING TCI'S LATEST HOMICIDE

Police on the Island of Providenciales are investigating the circumstances surrounding a shooting incident early Friday, August 3rd, 2018, which left an adult male dead.

At 1:52 a.m., Police responded to Aviation Drive, after receiving information that a male was shot in that area. Upon arrival, officers discovered an unconscious male, with multiple gunshot wounds. Paramedics were called to the scene, attempted to revive the male, but were unsuccessful. The man was pronounced dead at the scene.

The Royal Turks and Caicos Islands Police Force is asking the general public who may have any information that can assist in this investigation, to contact the Chalk Sound Police Station at 338-5901 or 941-8082 or anonymously call Crime Stoppers at 1-800-8477.


BAHAMAS AND TURKS AND CAICOS ISLANDS PUBLIC FORECAST 3RD AUGUST, 2018

FORECAST FOR TODAY AND TONIGHT FRIDAY 3RD AUGUST 2018

GENERAL SITUATION: BREEZY CONDITIONS WILL CONTINUE ACROSS THE ISLANDS COURTESY OF A ROBUST HIGH PRESSURE SYSTEM WHILE A STUBBORN UPPER LEVEL LOW TRIGGERS POCKETS OF SHOWERS ACROSS THE AREA.

SPECIAL WARNINGS: BOATERS SHOULD BE ALERT FOR THE RISK OF WATERSPOUT ACTIVITY AND BEACHGOERS SHOULD EXERCISE CAUTION DUE TO ROUGH SURF AND THE HIGH RISK OF RIP CURRENTS AT EAST COAST BEACHES.

ALL AREAS

WEATHER: MOSTLY SUNNY, HOT AND BREEZY WITH FEW SHOWERS AND THE CHANCE OF ISOLATED THUNDERSTORMS BECOMING MOSTLY FAIR AND BREEZY TONIGHT.

ADVISORY: SMALL CRAFT CAUTION CONTINUES. SMALL CRAFT SHOULD ASLO BE ALERT FOR GUSTY WINDS AND HIGHER SEAS IN OR NEAR HEAVY SHOWERS OR THUNDERSTORMS

WINDS: EAST TO SOUTHEAST AT 15 TO 20 KNOTS
SEAS: 4 TO 7 FEET

DAYTIME HIGH TEMPERATURE: 91F 33C
OVERNITE LOW TEMPERATURE: 79F 26C

HEAT INDEX: 100F 40C

SUNRISE: 6:38AM SUNSET: 7:51PM
MOONSET: 12:23PM MOONRISE: 12:20AM SAT.

HIGH TIDE: 12:04PM LOW TIDE: 6:18PM
HIGH TIDE: 12:16AM SAT. LOW TIDE: 6:37AM SAT.

FORECAST FOR SATURDAY

WEATHER: MOSTLY SUNNY, HOT AND BREEZY WITH FEW ISOLATED SHOWERS AND THE CHANCE OF THUNDERSTORMS.

WINDS: EASTERLY AT 15 TO 20 KNOTS
SEAS: 4 TO 7 FEET

FORECAST FOR SUNDAY

WEATHER: MOSTLY SUNNY, HOT AND BREEZY WITH FEW ISOLATED SHOWERS AND THE CHANCE OF THUNDERSTORMS.

WINDS: EASTERLY AT 15 TO 20 KNOTS
SEAS: 4 TO 7 FEET

TROPICAL WEATHER OUTLOOK: TROPICAL CYCLONE FORMATION IS NOT EXPECTED DURING THE NEXT FIVE DAYS.


Journey to the CFU Boys U14 Football Tournament

The Turks and Caicos Islands Boys U14 National Football Team are now on their way to Santo Domingo, the Dominican Republic to participate in the Group Stage of the Caribbean Football Union (CFU) Boys U14 Challenge Series. These development matches intend to give much needed competition and provide the opportunity to member associations, like TCIFA, to assess their youth development programmes ahead of other future international tournaments.  The tournament also serves as a proving ground and transition and introduction to the world of International Football prior to the Concacaf U15 Tournament in 2019.

The Turks and Caicos Islands was drawn to Group 5, playing against host country – Dominican Republic, Puerto Rico, Sint Martin and St. Lucia.

“This opportunity will no doubt provide our team with the exposure to what is expected at the next level of football within the region. The support of the TCIFA, President Fulford, the General Secretary and Executive Committee is a strong indication of the value they have placed on the development of our young players,” said Head Coach, Dane Ritchie. “With this in mind we will use this competition as a development tool for these young players; therefore our expectations for winning every game is not on the front burner but rather to see how these players compete against their peers and to see how they put what has been worked on over the past months to use on the field.”

Coach Ritchie added, “the boys are excited and ready to get on the field and show their talent, and we will be doing our best as the coaching staff to guide them as best as possible throughout this tournament. We expect them to work hard, do their best, and have FUN whilst doing it.”

Coach Ritchie announced that team captains will be rotated throughout the tournament and be referred to as team leaders. This would avoid burdening one player with the task of leading the team throughout the entire tournament, as well as afford other players a chance at carrying the position.

TCIFA Technical Director expressed his excitement with regard to the upcoming tournament - “I am extremely happy with the way Head Coach Dane Ritchie has selected and coached these boys since February. I am also very excited that two boys from  our sister island programme, Grand Turk, was selected to be apart of the team. We play 4 games whilst in Santo Domingo, and though these games will be physically and mentally demanding on the players, I do believe our strong squad of eighteen will certainly represent the Turks and Caicos Islands Football Association in a positive way. “

 

TURKS & CAICOS ISLANDS GAME SCHEDULE- GROUP 5, SANTO DOMINGO

4TH AUGUST   2.30 V ST LUCIA

6TH AUGUST   4.30 V DOMINICAN REPUBLIC

8TH AUGUST   2.30 V ST MARTIN

10TH AUGUST 2.30 V PUERTO RICO

 

 

TURKS & CAICOS ISLANDS U14 BOYS NATIONAL FOOTBALL TEAM DELEGATION

 

# 1- ZACHARY SCHOLAR-GOAL KEEPER

# 2- FREDLIN MORENCY-DEFENDER

# 3- SELVIN OLBRICE- DEFENDER

# 4- CHRISTOPHER LOUISY- DEFENDER

# 5- CORY WILLIAMS- STRIKER/MIDFIELD

# 6- JAKE WHENT- DEFENDER

# 7- KYLE CUSHING MEEHAN-STRIKER/MIDFIELD

# 8- CALLUM PARK- MIDFIELD

# 9-HARRY SCHOFIELD- STRIKER/MIDFIELD

# 10-CHARLIE HAWKINS-MIDFIELD

# 11-DALE TAYLOR- DEFENDER/MIDFIELD

# 12-ANTHONY GARDINER-DEFENDER/MIDFIELD

# 13-JEAN WATSON-MIDFIELD

# 14-MICHAEL SAUNDERS- DEFENDER/MIDFIELD

# 15-HAYDEN WILLIAMS- MIDFIELD

# 16-OMARI LIGHTBOURNE-DEFENDER/MIDFIELD

# 17-JARRED JENNINGS- DEFENDER/MIDFIELD

# 18-GEORGE ELLIS- GOAL KEEPER

HEAD COACH – DANE RITCHIE

TECHNICAL DIRECTOR/ TEAM MANAGER- DARREN MEEHAN

TEAM DOCTOR- DR. FRANCOIS BOURNE

 

Apple reaches $1,000,000,000,000 value

Apple just became the first American public company to cross $1 trillion in value.

The iPhone maker achieved that big number on Thursday when the stock passed $207.04 a share. Its new all-time high is $207.05. Apple is now up more than 20% this year.

Shares surged after Apple reported earnings that topped forrecasts and a healthy outlook on Wednesday.

Even though some think Apple (AAPL) needs a new product to keep sales and profits booming, Apple has rallied past the trillion level thanks to solid sales of the iPhone 8 and X -- particularly in China and Japan -- and surging services revenue from the App Store.

Wall Street thinks Apple could go even higher. Thirteen analysts have a price target of above $225 for Apple. The most bullish, Brian White of Monness, Crespi, Hardt & Co., has a price target of $275 a share. That would value Apple at $1.3 trillion.

Apple is benefiting from investor euphoria surrounding the tech sector broadly as well -- and it could soon have company in the trillion dollar club.

Apple is not the first publicly traded company in the world to surpass the trillion dollar mark though.

Oil giant PetroChina (PTR) briefly topped a trillion dollar valuation in 2007 when its stock began trading in Shanghai, but shares quickly plunged afterward. PetroChina, which is also listed on the New York Stock Exchange, is now worth about $205 billion.

 


EXCHANGE OF INFORMATION UNIT

Keeping with the international standards agreed by the Global Forum on Tax Transparency and Exchange of Information for Tax Purposes, the Government of the Turks and Caicos Islands Exchange of Information Unit under the Ministry of Finance, Trade & Investment was paid an onsite visit by a team of OECD Assessors. The visit took place between the period July 23 -27, 2018 with a series of meetings with public and private sector stakeholders, primarily in the area of financial services.

The exercise was based on a second round Peer Review examination of the legislative framework, policies, procedures and cooperation of the industry with the EOI Unit practices in the collection and exchanging information for tax purposes with treaty partners. Two previous assessments carried out on exchange of information by request revealed TCI to have a largely compliant rating.

The Government of the Turks and Caicos Islands, including the Minister for Finance, Ministry of Finance, Exchange of Information Unit sincerely thanks all of its partners that were engaged and participated in the examination for their cooperation and professionalism. Following adoption of the report, it will be made publicly available.