COMMISSIONER of Police James Smith has released a detailed breakdown of the latest crime statistics.

From April 1, 2016 to March 30, 2017, a total of 2,626 crimes were reported in the Turks and Caicos Islands, a decrease compared to the previous year which saw 3,068 crimes.

This means that there were 442 victims fewer this year and overall crime in the Turks and Caicos Islands is down by 14 percent.

The commissioner released the figures during a press conference at the police headquarters in Providenciales last Thursday, April 27.

He went on to explain that in the last two years, crime overall in the Turks and Caicos Islands has fallen by 21 percent, which means 704 fewer victims in two years.

This year there was a total of 703 burglaries and aggravated burglaries.

Smith indicated that this meant a decrease of 159 crimes and 18 percent down on last year.

Within that figure there were 45 aggravated burglaries, which meant an increase of 19 for the year.

Commissioner Smith said that the Royal Turks and Caicos Islands Police Force (RTCIPF) recorded 97 cases of persons in possession of drugs, which meant an increase of 21 cases, an increase detection of 28 percent.

In terms of possession of drugs with intent to supply, the RTCIPF detected 24 cases.

The year of 2016 saw a count of seven murders, which was a decrease of one from 2015-16.

The TCI saw 126 firearm offences this year, which was 26 less offences than last year, according to the Commissioner of Police.

Commissioner added that there were 134 robberies this year, with 130 of them taking place in Providenciales and 96 of them involving the use of a firearm.

Some of these cases involved one individual with a firearm committing multiple offences, taking the number of firearms used to commit robbery to 111.

He added that he did not consider that there was an influx in firearms because guns were not just an issue in the TCI, but more so in the entire Caribbean.

The commissioner concluded the stats by stating that a total of 521 people have been arrested during the year.

A whopping 271 people have been charged from that number and put before the court in connection with offences contained in the breakdown of the stats.

He said that within the number of those arrested and charged, 150 were local men, 98 of those individuals are recorded as expats, with local and expat women making up the remainder numbers.

Last year’s detection rate was 23 percent and this year’s was one percent lower.

Smith explained during the press conference that the budget settlement will allow the force to allocate more funds to specific units within the force and assist with the promotion of more officers.

He said: “We are using this opportunity to promote experienced, specialised officers to fill the most critical skills gaps that exist in the force, including our Criminal Investigation Department, our Cyber Crime team, our Tactical Units and our Marine Branch officers.”

He added that the police “know the challenges ahead,” but that they “are striving for continuous improvement and seek the continued support of the Government and our Government partners to keep the country safe.”

He said that the police also rely on the active support and engagement of citizens and visitors to help them in their job.

He encouraged the public to take responsibility for their part in reducing crime and identifying offenders.