Marathon runner Cantius Thomas has appeared in court charged with indecent assault.  Thomas, 46, of Gonzales Circular Road, Belmont, pleaded not guilty to the charge that March 11, 2012, at Lady Chancellor Hill, Maraval, he indecently assaulted a woman.

 

Represented by attorney Christian Chandler, Thomas stood with his eyes downcast when the matter was called on Wednesday before Magistrate Maureen Baboolal-Gafoor in the Port-of-Spain Seventh Court. 

 

With no objections to bail from Sgt Wayne Mohammed, Chandler appealed for reasonable bail for Thomas, who has no prior convictions or pending matters. Revealing to the court Thomas had been employed as a utility technician at the National Flour Mills for the past ten years, Chandler said his achievements in his sporting career were testament to his commitment and dedication to sports, as he had represented T&T regionally and internationally.

 

Chandler told the court that Thomas, a member of the Once-A-Week Running Club, was a “humble” man. He appealed for reasonable bail or a cash alternative. Ordering Thomas to refrain from communicating with the victim, Baboolal-Gafoor set bail at $25,000 with a surety. He will reappear on March 20.