Hundreds of government workers in the Turks and Caicos Islands are protesting upcoming job cuts.

Teachers, immigration agents, doctors and government clerks are among the more than 200 people who marched in Providenciales on Tuesday to also demand bigger severance packages.

The government has said it will cut 300 public sector jobs by Dec. 9 to trim costs and eliminate what it says are overlapping positions.

Civil service union president Rufus Ewing says protesters might launch a second strike on Wednesday.

The government said late Monday it was surprised about the decision to protest because it had already agreed to increase severance packages after negotiations with the union.

In release sent to RTC News: Martin Stanley, Chief Executive, TCI Government said: “I can confirm that the TCI Government has contingency plans in place for events such as today’s strike.

“During the strike as we concentrate on essential and emergency services, we ask the people of TCI to be patient as they will not receive the usual high standard of public service on strike days.

“I would also ask those strikers who work with the vulnerable members of our society to continue to balance their desire to protest with ensuring that there is adequate service provision to the needy.

“While there is no law against striking in the TCI , clearly there are consequences for workers who do strike, such as losing a day’s pay.”

RTC News received a copy of the letter sent to Martin Stanley on November 21st which reads:

Dear Mr. Stanley,
We hereby acknowledge receipt of your email of November 16, 2011, responding to our letter to the Governor which listed our concerns and demands with reference to the Civil Service.
It is indeed unfortunate that The Adminstration’s response is less than satisfactory as it contains favourable consideration of only one of a list of several demands for fair treatment as outlined in our letter dated November 13, 2011.

The Administration has indicated that it is willing to entertain further dialogue on the issue of approval for redundant Civil Servants to be
employed in self-sufficient statutory bodies but has continued to ignore the remaining critical demands made by Civil Servants. We continue to be of the view that none of our other demands were met and to this end are extremely disappointed. We have previously indicated to the Governor that the continued disregard of this Administration for the human rights and
basic social welfare of Civil Servants has now made it necessary for us to undertake the necessary actions to obtain justice.

Please be informed that Civil Servants will be engaging in a strike on Tuesday November 22, 2011.

This action will continue on a weekly basis until our demands are met.

Respectfully
CSA Management Council

Since the days pay cut announced by Mr.Stanley, RTC News have not received a response from the CSA.