Opposition groups in Yemen have vowed to continue their protests, despite parliament’s enactment of a state of emergency in the country.
Anti-government demonstrators have called for a march on Friday to President Ali Abdullah Saleh’s palace in Sana’a. They say they will rally for his resignation.
The opposition activists announced the protest on Wednesday, the same day that parliament approved the state of emergency, which gives the security forces sweeping powers to prevent demonstrations and detain suspects.
The adoption of the emergency law was expected, as President Saleh’s ruling party holds a majority in parliament. The president had announced a state of emergency after gunmen loyal to Mr. Saleh opened fire on anti-government protesters on Friday, killing 52 people.
A number of government officials, tribal leaders and diplomats joined the opposition side after the bloody crackdown. Yemen’s top military figure, Major General Ali Mohsen al-Ahmar, also defected to “support the peaceful revolution.”
President Saleh on Tuesday warned military leaders that any attempt at a coup will lead to civil war.
A spokesman for Mr. Saleh said Tuesday the president was willing to hold early elections this year and leave office by January in the face of intensifying opposition protests against his 32-year-rule. Mr. Saleh had previously said he would stay in office until his term ended in 2013.
U.S. Defense Secretary Robert Gates says the political situation in Yemen remains “very unsettled” and it is too early to predict a possible outcome. He commented Wednesday from Cairo, where he is meeting with Egyptian officials.



