Britain’s Prince Philip, the 95-year-old husband of Queen Elizabeth II, will retire from public engagements later this year, Buckingham Palace said Thursday.
The Duke of Edinburgh, who turns 96 on June 10, is the longest-serving consort in British history, and is still in good health.
But he has been reducing his workload in recent years, and said in 2011 that “I reckon I’ve done my bit, so I want to enjoy myself a bit now”.
Philip conducted 219 royal engagements last year, and was in good form when he opened a new stand at Lord’s cricket ground in London on Wednesday.
“You’re about to see the world’s most experienced plaque-unveiler,” he quipped just before pulling the cord to part a small curtain.
The former naval officer’s no-nonsense approach combined with his infamous and often politically incorrect off-the-cuff remarks has not made it easy for people to warm to his style.
But his unwavering, forthright style and devotion to duty and the queen has endeared him to the nation.
Prime Minister Theresa May offered him the whole country’s “deepest gratitude and good wishes”.
“His Royal Highness The Duke of Edinburgh has decided that he will no longer carry out public engagements from the autumn of this year,” the palace said in a statement.
“In taking this decision, the duke has the full support of the queen.”
It said he would attend previously scheduled engagements until August, and would not accept any new invitations thereafter.
However, “he may still choose to attend certain public events from time to time”, it said.
Source-AFP



