A drone flying close to Gatwick Airport, led to the closure of the runway and forced five flights to be diverted.
An airport spokesman said the runway had been closed for two periods of nine minutes and five minutes on Sunday evening after the drone was sighted.
Easy-jet said four of its flights had been diverted, while British Airways said one aircraft had been sent to Bournemouth. Other flights had to fly holding-patterns as a precaution.
Sussex Police is investigating.
The airport said “Runway operations at Gatwick were suspended between 18:10 BST and 18:19, and again from 18:36 to 18:41 BST, resulting in a small number of go-arounds and diverts.
“Operations have resumed and the police continue to investigate,” it said.
Passengers have told the BBC how their flights were diverted away from Gatwick.
An Easy-jet spokeswoman said while the circumstances were outside of their control, Easy-jet apologises for any inconvenience caused.
In November 2016, the UK’s drone code was revised and updated to help pilots ensure they fly the gadgets safely.
Former senior air traffic controller Doug Maclean told BBC News that aviation authorities had to “act on the safe side” in incidents involving drones.



