Pay dispute motivated players

Forward Omar Cummings and assistant coach Bradley Stewart said the pay dispute which erupted during the just-concluded Digicel Caribbean Cup in Martinique, served as added motivation for the players as they went in search of the title.

The Boyz, led by senior players Shavar Thomas, Luton Shelton, Rudolph Austin and Jermaine Taylor, staged a brief protest during the championship over per diem for the squad and sharing of the prize money, should the team be successful.

This led to the players at one stage threatening to "not lace up their boots", and it was only after the intervention of Jamaica Football Federation (JFF) president, Captain Horace Burrell, who decided to pay the players from his personal account that the issue was settled.

Positive effect

"If it affected us, it was on a positive note, as everyone came together even more and played as a team. It made us even stronger than (we were) when we left Jamaica," said Cummings, shortly after the team's arrival home on Monday night.

"My own view is that it served as an extra motivation, as now that they got what they demanded they had no choice but to produce, and if they did not produce I am not so sure that they would be welcomed home," said Stewart.

"We have come home with the trophy and this is a testament to the focus, which they players demonstrated throughout the tournament, especially after the internal problems," he added.

The players, who were offered a US$300 (J$25,800) tournament per diem and 50 per cent of the team's prize money, refused the offer and in the end demanded US$1,200 (J$103,200) and 80 per cent of the US$120,000 (J$10.3 million) prize money, as according to them, they had been representing the country in recent time at a great "sacrifice", and sometimes without pay.

The Boyz, who will now turn their attention to the CONCACAF Gold Cup which will be staged next year, lifted the cup after defeating Guadeloupe 5-4 on penalties after both teams had played to a 1-1 scoreline at the end of regulation and extra-time.

The team had earlier defeated Antigua and Barbuda 3-1, Guadeloupe 2-0 and Guyana 4-0 in the preliminary round, before getting the better of Grenada 2-1 in the semi-finals.

This was the team's fifth lien on the coveted regional crown and only Trinidad and Tobago with eight titles can claim more success at this level. (Jamaica Gleaner)


Pete Sampras' tennis trophies stolen

Tennis star Pete Sampras says most of his trophies and other memorabilia were stolen from a West Los Angeles public storage facility.

The Los Angeles Times reported Tuesday that Sampras still has 13 of his 14 Grand Slam trophies.

But thieves took his 1994 Australian Open trophy and most of the hardware from his 64 tour title wins, two Davis Cups, an Olympic ring and six trophies for finishing world No. 1 in the year-end rankings from 1993 to 1998.

He said the loss "is like having the history of my tennis life taken away."

The theft happened three weeks ago. Sampras, who had stored the items as he and his family moved between housing arrangements, said he's getting the word out in hopes somebody offers a lead.

Sampras retired in 2003 and said the loss is most upsetting because he would have liked to have shown the trophies to his children.

"For me to have it for my kids is priceless," he said, according to the Los Angeles Times. "I just hope it hasn't already been destroyed. That's why I wanted to get the word out now. I know this is a long shot, but I'd regret it if I didn't at least try."

Sampras believed the items would be safe in storage. The items were not insured because there was no way to assess their true value, he said, according to the report.

"I thought there were security cameras. I thought these things were locked up tight. I was shocked," he said, according to the report. (ESPN)


Stray Dog Control to be Stepped Up

The Ministry of Health is moving to control and reduce the increasing population of stray dogs across the country.

As a first step it has asked pet owners to make sure they license, spay or neuter their dogs and keep them within the confines of their property at all times.  These requirements are outlined in the Dogs Control Ordinance and the Ministry is adamant that failure to comply will lead to prosecutions.

Permanent Secretary in the Ministry of Health and Human Services Judith Campbell said:

“We have been hearing the concerns of residents that the stray dog population has been getting out of hand.  The dogs move around in packs digging into and scattering garbage to create unsightly scenes in neighborhoods and across the country. They are a nuisance, and  they pose a threat to health. People must be more responsible.”

The DOGS Control Ordinance (2005) requires that –

1.    no person shall own or possess a dog which is more than three (3) months old, unless the person holds a license

2.    that the dog is spayed or neutered

3.    that the dog is not allowed to be outside the confines of their home/yard unattended

2.   Failure to comply with these regulations can result in summary conviction of a fine of:

ü $500.00 if the unlicensed dog is spayed or neutered or

ü $1000.00 if the unlicensed dog is not spayed or neutered

Pet owners have been urged to contact the Environmental Health Department’s Animal Management Unit for further information.Gog

 



TCI To Showcase Success in Disaster Recovery

The Turks and Caicos Islands can “lead the way” in Caribbean disaster management, as they get a chance to share the success in recovering  from  major disasters such as  hurricane Ike at a high profile conference in Jamaica.

Youngsters from the TCI’s National Youth Parliament will also be acting as the Islands’ ambassadors, taking part in a debate with other young people from across the region.

A team drawn from various sectors of the TCI society will spend the week at the conference in Jamaica exchanging experiences with counterparts drawn from across the Caribbean.

The event will be hosted and funded by the Office of Disaster Preparedness and Emergency Management (ODPEM) in Jamaica in partnership with the Caribbean Disaster Emergency Management Agency (CDEMA).

The TCI team will lead discussions on the coordinated recovery effort following Ike, which included funding and expert assistance from the UK Department for International Development, CEDEMA and Regional bodies as well as other TCI  disaster management stakeholders.

Director of the Department of Disaster Management and Emergencies Jamell Robinson is one of the TCI’s main presenters.

“I am honored to be given the opportunity to present a paper on the ‘Turks and Caicos Islands Recovery Post Hurricane Ike’ at the 5th annual Caribbean Comprehensive Disaster Management  Conference 2010.

“The TCI can lead the way in the region by showing how recovery can be done after a devastating impact on one’s country.   Being part of a bigger contingent of disaster management stakeholders from the TCI also shows that here disaster management is everyone’s business. “

The TCI participants will include a group of youths who will, among other things, engage in a debate competition.

“We have members of the National Youth Parliament participating in the youth session to debate a Jamaican school which is great to see, as TCI youths are doing positive things and are being rewarded for it and who best to be our cultural ambassadors than the youth of our country,” Robinson said.

The TCI Team will also include representatives of the  small and medium size business sector and the physical planning department of government.


Rihanna Announces Upcoming 2011 UK Tour

Rihanna2.jpgBarbadian pop star Rihanna has announced details of her upcoming UK 2011 arena tour.

The “Only Girl (In The World)” singer will play six dates which will begin at the famous London’s 02 Arena on October 5 next year.

The Loud tour will hit Liverpool, Manchester, Glasgow, Birmingham and is due to end at the Metro Radio Arena in Newcastle on October 16.

Rihanna, 22, will perform songs from her album Loud for the first time in the UK.

Rihanna’s Loud Tour UK dates are as follows…

Wednesday October 5: London 02 Arena
Friday October 7: Liverpool Echo Arena
Sunday October 9: Manchester Evening News Arena
Monday October 10: Glasgow SECC (DF concerts to promote/ticket)
Saturday Saturday 15: Birmingham LG Arena
Sunday October 16: Newcastle Metro Radio Arena

Tickets for the gigs go on sale on December 11.

Source:  Urban Islandz


Haiti ruling party HQ set alight by election protesters

The headquarters of the ruling party in Haiti has been set on fire by protesters angry about the results of presidential elections.

Thousands of people took to the streets of Port-au-Prince after the first round results were released late on Tuesday.

They accuse the ruling party of rigging the first round in favour of its candidate, Jude Celestin.

He finished just ahead of pop star Michel Martelly, who looks likely to miss out on the run-off.

The former first lady Mirlande Manigat won 31% of the vote and Mr Celestin 22%. Mr Martelly polled just over 21% - about 6,800 votes short of Mr Celestin.

Demonstrations erupted in several cities soon after the results were announced, and in Port-au-Prince supporters of Mr Martelly started fires and set up barricades.

The protests surged again early on Wednesday. Witnesses said black smoke filled the air in areas where Mr Martelly's support was strongest.

Foreign aid workers said the Haitian national police were slow to respond, and that some officers were refusing to report for duty following the election results.

Most observers say the first round of the voting was grossly mismanaged.

The close result has led to calls that Mr Martelly also be included in the run-off.

A joint mission from the Organisation of American States and the Caribbean Community has said officials could consider putting a third candidate if the vote is nearly tied.

Mr Martelly had said he would not accept a place in the run-off if Mr Celestin is present.

He has until 10 December to appeal. (BBC)


UWI scholarships up for grabs

THE University of the West Indies is now inviting applications for the UWI 2011 Open Scholarships, which last year were awarded to 41 students with a total value of US$1.1 million.

Each year the university awards the UWI Open Scholarships to top performing students across the region for undergraduate studies. The scholarships cover tuition, living costs and contributions to books.

“The Open Scholarships programme is one of the ways that UWI is attracting and rewarding high achievers among the region’s students. The scholarships are particularly attractive to students from our contributing countries where, unlike Barbados and Trinidad, tertiary tuition is not government subsidised. We are very happy to offer the Open Scholarships in these financially trying times," said Professor Alvin Wint, UWI Pro Vice Chancellor for Undergraduate Studies.

Eligible persons are high school or state college graduates who are first-time applicants to a government-sponsored undergraduate degree programme offered at any of the UWI’s four campuses.

Current first-year UWI students are also eligible to apply for the Open Scholarships and all applicants must be citizens of a UWI-contributing country.

The application process, which is in its second year as a completely online procedure, will require students to complete a 500-word personal essay outlining career aspirations and reasons for choosing their degree programme at the UWI.

Applicants must also provide evidence of community involvement and co-curricular activities. All applications for the UWI 2011 Open Scholarships must be submitted at www.uwi.edu/openscholarship2011 by January 31, 2011.


Heat build momentum with fifth straight win

The Miami Heat are starting   to look more like the elite team many envisioned in the   off-season as they defeated the Milwaukee Bucks 88-78 on   Monday for their fifth straight win.

Dwyane Wade had a team-high 25 points and a career-high 14   rebounds while LeBron James added 17 points as the Heat   continued to play inspired defense in achieving their longest   winning streak of the season.

Miami (14-8) had a rough start to the campaign and fell   well short of the expectations created when James and Chris   Bosh signed with the Heat to join fellow All-Star Wade, but   have found their rhythm since a players-only meeting  a week   ago.

In the opener of a four-game road trip, the Heat never   trailed and held the Bucks to 34 percent shooting from the   field.

“That’s what it’s about and that (defense) is the identity   of the team,” Wade told reporters. “Offensively we can’t   control if the ball is going to go in or not. We still have to   get the stops.”
Corey Maggette had 20 points off the bench to lead   Milwaukee, which fell to 7-13 on the season.

The Heat led by 13 points late in the third but the Bucks   trimmed it down to 74-71 midway through the fourth. Miami   answered with three straight baskets from James, Wade and   Bosh, who finished with 16 points and 12 rebounds.

“There was a mental toughness to this win for us that I’m   not sure we would have been able to pull this out earlier in   the year,” Heat coach Erik Spoelstra said.

Australian center Andrew Bogut had 11 points and 13   rebounds in his second game back for the Bucks after missing   five contests with back problems. (REUTERS)


Tyson and Chavez named to Boxing Hall of Fame

Former heavyweight champion  Mike Tyson and three-division winner Julio Cesar Chavez of  Mexico were named yesterday to the International Boxing Hall of  Fame.

Russian-born junior welterweight champion Kostya Tszyu,  Mexican trainer Ignacio “Nacho” Beristain, U.S. referee Joe  Cortez and American actor/screenwriter Sylvester Stallone also  are part of the Class of 2011, the Hall of Fame said on its  website (www.ibhof.com).

Bantamweight Memphis Pal Moore, light heavyweight champion  Jack Root, welterweight-middleweight Dave Shade, British  boxer-politician John Gully, promoter A.F. Bettinson and  broadcaster Harry Carpenter will be honored posthumously.

They will be enshrined June 12, 2011, at the Hall of Fame  Museum in Canastota, New York.

Inductees were selected by members of the Boxing Writers  Association and a panel of international boxing historians. (REUTERS)


Prison fire kills 81 in Chile

Chile Prison Fire

At least 81 people were killed and several more injured in a fire that broke out after a riot at a prison in Chile, officials said Wednesday.

The fire started in one of the towers of the San Miguel prison, south of Santiago, the Chilean capital.

Fourteen people were hospitalized in critical condition, Health Minister Jaime Manalich told reporters. Four rescuers were also injured.

"This is a terrible tragedy," Manalich said, calling it the worst incident to strike the country's penal system.

The prison housed 1,961 inmates at the time of the fire, said Felipe Bulnes, the justice minister. The prison was built to hold only 1,000 inmates, CNN Chile reported.

The mayor of Santiago, Fernando Echeverria, said that the fire broke out after a riot among inmates.

The call came in at 5:48 a.m. (3:48 a.m. ET), the fire department said. The cause of the blaze was under investigation, the department said.

Meanwhile, a large crowd of inmates' relatives gathered outside the prison, worried about the fate of their loved ones.

"Why won't they give us information?" one woman asked.

The mayor told the families that the only ones affected by the fire were the prisoners on the fourth floor of Tower 5. All others were safe, he said. A list of the victims would be released to the families later Wednesday, he added. (CNN) Photograph: (Reuters)