Charlton Earns MVP Award After First Round TKO

The Champion Amateur Boxing Club Hosted its inter-club boxing show at the Wulff Road Boxing Square on Saturday and the best fight of the night saw Don Evans defeat Keanu Poitier on points 9-6.

After defeating Tyrone Oliver on points, 13-9 Lester Brown was named the Most Improved Boxer.
Richard Charlton took home the Most Valuable Boxer award after he defeated Davante McPhee by first round TKO. It was the only technical knockout victory of the tournament.

In the other fights Don Rolle won over Peterson Wra on Points 7-6 and Jermaine Allen defeated Larnardo Sweeting 10-7.
There were also two exhibition matches that featured Kenzell Armbrister versus Tavares Deveaux, and Lester Brown accepted a challenge from Garvin Rolle. No scores were released for those matches.

Next week Saturday December 18th and Sunday the Champion Amateur Boxing Club will host the 15th Ray Minus Sr. Boxing Show Awards presentation and Christmas Party followed by an evening of Carnival for all Boxer on Monday December 20th.


Wikileaks founder Julian Assange refused bail

The founder of whistle-blowing website Wikileaks, Julian Assange, has been refused bail by a court in London but vowed to fight extradition to Sweden.

Mr Assange denies sexually assaulting two women in Sweden. He was remanded in custody pending a hearing next week.

A judge at City of Westminster Magistrates' Court refused bail because of the risk of the 39-year-old fleeing.

A Wikileaks spokesman said the arrest was an attack on media freedom and pledged to continue publishing.

After the court appearance Mr Assange's lawyer Mark Stephens said he would be applying again for bail.

He claimed the charges were "politically motivated" and said the judge was keen to see the evidence against Mr Assange, an Australian citizen.

Mr Stephens said Wikileaks would continue to publish material and added: "We are on cable 301 and there are 250,000 secret cables."

A Downing Street spokesman said Mr Assange's arrest was "a matter for the police" and there had been no ministerial involvement.

Prosecutors in Sweden have insisted the extradition request is a matter of criminal law and they "have not been put under any kind of pressure, political or otherwise".

Five people, including journalist John Pilger, film director Ken Loach and Jemima Khan, the sister of Conservative MP Zac Goldsmith, offered to put up sureties.

But district judge Howard Riddle refused bail for Mr Assange and he was remanded in custody until 14 December.Judge Riddle said he believed Mr Assange might flee and he also feared he "may be at risk from unstable persons".

One of the charges is that he had unprotected sex with a woman, identified only as Miss A, when she insisted he use a condom.

Another is that he had unprotected sex with another woman, Miss W, while she was asleep. Mr Assange, who was accompanied by Australian consular officials, initially refused to say where he lived but eventually gave an address in Australia.

Wikileaks spokesman Kristinn Hrafnsson said it would not stop the release of more secret files and told Reuters on Tuesday: "Wikileaks is operational. We are continuing on the same track as laid out before.

"Any development with regards to Julian Assange will not change the plans we have with regards to the releases today and in the coming days."

Secret locations

He said Wikileaks was being operated by a group in London and other secret locations.

US State Department spokesman PJ Crowley said it was possible the US would make an extradition request for Mr Assange but he said it was premature as the criminal investigation into Wikileaks was still ongoing.

Police contacted Mr Stephens on Monday night after receiving a European arrest warrant from the Swedish authorities.

An earlier warrant, issued last month, had not been filled in correctly.Mr Assange has come in for criticism in the past week for the revelations made on Wikileaks.

Foreign Secretary William Hague has criticised the website for publishing details of sensitive sites, including some in the UK, saying they could be targeted by terrorists.


Grand turk fire to the old Timco building

A major invesigation has been launched into the circumstances surrounding a freak fire which occurred in the island capital of Grand Turk in the early hours of Thursday December 2nd, 2010.

Well-placed sources told The SUN that officers from the United Kingdom’s Scotland Yard, who last week came to this country to help investigate and stem the surge of serious crime, have been asked to probe the fire at what is popularly known as the TIMCO building on Front Street, Grand Turk.

The sources, who have asked not to be identified because of the sensitive nature of the situation, said that arson cannot be ruled out at this preliminary stage.


Drake to Host Hometown Juno Awards

Rapper Drake has been hired to host the Juno Awards, Canada’s music awards, next year in his native city Toronto on Sunday, March 27, 2011..

Drake stomped into hip hop last year with his debut album “Thank Me Later” after playing a physically disabled student in the Canadian teen TV series “Degrassi: The Next Generation.”

“I am beyond honored to be hosting this monumental Juno Awards in the greatest city on Earth,” said Drake in a statement.

“I want to bring a youthful energy to the show and encourage people to be excited about what Canadian music has to offer,” he added.

Drake last year performed a duet at the 2010 Junos with fellow Canadian music sensation Justin Bieber, before taking home trophies for best rap recording artist and best new artist.

Nominations for the 2011 Juno Awards, to air live on the CTV network, will be announced on February 1, 2011.

Drake on Wednesday also snagged four nominations for the upcoming Grammys, including best new artist and best rap album.


Vanessa Williams Says Longoria is a Survivor

If you were ever wondering, “Desperate Housewives” co-star Eva Longoria is doing fine.

Vanessa Williams, co-star of the TV drama, told reporters that her friend and peer is doing well with the divorce, calling her a survivor.

Williams sat down with chat show, “The Talk” and revealed that Longoria will recover soon.

“We just spent the whole day shooting and you know, she’s really doing well. She thanks you for all your prayers. She’s a survivor and she’s a beautiful, talented, wonderful woman and she will find someone else when she’s ready. She’s gonna be fine, we love her.”

Williams added to the conversation that she was quite intrigued with the public’s reaction to the divorce, explaining that despite Longoria’s tremendous success, beauty, and apparent fame, she still is human and flawed.

“It’s fascinating to see how people say she’s got it all: she’s gorgeous, she’s an entrepreneur, she has her own restaurant, she can cook, she’s a mogul, and then there’s a component to her life that is normal and flawed and unhappy, you know, so the grass isn’t always greener.”

Williams herself attempts to live as normal of a life she can. Before going to the studio for the interview, she cheered on her 10-year-old daughter Sasha at a swim meet. She said Sasha claimed two first place ribbons.


Quality Supermarket Ensnare Guyana Jaguars

p { margin-bottom: 0.08in; }

On Sunday 5th December 2010 as the competition continues at the same venue.

After winning the toss Quality Supermarket elected to bat first. The opening batsman Jitender Ganglani scored dazzling 89 runs which consists of 6 towering sixes and 8 boundaries. Anish Thomas scored 26 runs (1x6,4x4), Pawan Kumar scored an unbeaten 24 (1x6,3x4), Andy Kuthalingam scored quick 19 runs (2x6,1x4) to gave the side a mammoth total of 200 runs in 20 overs for the loss of 7 wickets.

Bowling for Guyana Jaguars, Vincent Rodriquez took 3 wickets for 14 runs in 2 overs, which was a hatrick. John Dolphin took 2 wickets for 25 runs in 4 overs.

In reply, league’s leading run scorer Guyana Jaguars batsman Nuwan Bodhinyake scored an entertaining 97 runs (5x6, 13x4) but that wasn’t enough to get his team home as he was running out of support from the other batsman. John Dolphin scored 26 runs (4x4), as they reached 191 runs for 9 wickets from 20 overs.

Bowling for Quality Supermarket, Smijo Devassy snatched 3 wickets for 8 runs in 2 overs. Andy Kuthalingam bagged 2 wickets for 18 runs from 3 overs.


Beaches wash over Jam Turk

p { margin-bottom: 0.08in; }

A superb 94 runs from Osmond Sicard enabled Beaches to overwhelmed Jam Turk as the Monster Energy Drink T20 competition continued on the Saturday 14th December at the Down Town Ball Park, Providenciales. Batting first after winning the toss, Beaches posted a formidable total of 211 runs for 7 wickets from 20 overs. Top scorer was Osmond Sicard with 94 runs (7x6, 7x4) and Odayne Ewart contributed 26 runs.

Bowling for Jam Turk, Glenn Campbell captured 4 wickets for 25 runs from 4 overs.

When Jam Turk batted they were bowled out for 121 runs from 19.4 overs. Damien Williams was the top scorer with 23 runs.

Bowling for Beaches Martinique Williams claimed 3 wickets for 20 runs from 4 overs.

 


National Conversation continues in the TCI

p { margin-bottom: 0.08in; }

The National Conversation set out to a great start last week with coverage by several media houses which got the Turks and Caicos Islands on a buzz to talk.

 

The first Official event on Program was the appearance of the Lead Coordinator, Mrs Sharlene Cartwright Robinson on the popular Talk Show, “Expressions” with its host Mr Robert Hall. Mrs Robinson used the opportunity to encourage the public to join The National Conversation and to present the Program of Events over the next three weeks. During the interview, a number of issues surrounding the economy and the rising crime were addressed. Callers were invited and the following issues were raised: the lack of fort coming information (openness) and transparency on the part of the Interim Government, unemployment, difficulty with former convicts being re-employed, need for education and dialogue on vital Bills for passage.

 

Mr Derek Taylor, longest serving Chief Minister followed on Friday. He was able to identify decisions made over the past year that may have compromised or eroded the revenue of these Islands and he also offered possible new ways of revenue generation for the Government. He called for a change in our attitude as a people and he also called on the British Government to look at the New Zealand’s Model on Public Sector Reform which allowed for persons who were laid off by the Government to be absorbed by the Private Sector in a pre arrangement.

 

The National Conversation continues in its second week with the following Program:

 

This morning, Monday, December 6th, 2010, Former Chief Minister Norman Saunders appeared on the Talk Show “Expressions” and with great wisdom outlined among other things, the need to involve the people of these Islands in the rebuilding efforts as we are the ones who would have to take over the reins eventually. He also identified the challenges we face as a people, the need for good and wholesome leaders and the absolute necessity for new development to help the country rebound economically.

 

Tuesday Pastors Bradley Handfield, Bryan Cox, Pedro Williams and Conrad Howell

7th Dec Of the Provo Ministerial Fellowship will appear over ROJ Faith FM 98.9 to discuss the issue of National Identity 10am

Tuesday Meeting with Media Houses 10am

 

Tuesday Discussions surrounding Kate Sullivan’s

Final Recommendations over Blaze FM 1pm Until

 

Tuesday Panel on The Economy (PLS) 7pm at the Gus Lightbourne Sports Center Public Finances E F Seymour

The Role Of TC Invest Royal Robinson

Financial Services Gordon Kerr

Balanced Development Simon Wood

Becoming the Employer vs Employee E J Saunders

Wednesday

8th Expressions with Former Leader Washington Misick

 

Friday Expressions with Former Director

10th Dec Of Tourism John Skippings

 


Obama reaches deal with Republicans over tax cuts

US President Barack Obama has announced a bipartisan agreement has been reached to extend soon-to-expire Bush era tax cuts to all Americans.

Referring to the bitter wrangling over the issue, Mr Obama said he would not "let working families become collateral damage for political warfare".

Some Democrats have reportedly objected to the deal, saying it is too generous to the wealthy.

Unemployment benefits will also be renewed under the agreement.

The announcement comes two days after the US Senate rejected President Obama's preferred tax plan.

Mr Obama said there were elements of the deal that he opposed - including an extension of tax cuts for the wealthiest 2% of Americans.

But he said striking a deal with Republicans was more important than allowing the tax cuts to expire on 1 January 2011 amid a political stalemate.

He said it would be a "grave injustice to let taxes increase" for ordinary Americans.

"Make no mistake, allowing taxes to go up on all Americans would have raised taxes by $3,000 for a typical American family and that could cost our economy well over a million jobs," he said at the White House.

Other elements of the deal include a cut in Social Security taxes and tax breaks for businesses.

News of the agreement comes a week after the government reported that joblessness in the US had risen in November to 9.8%.

With the agreement on tax cuts finalised, analysts say Congress may now focus its attention on holding a debate over whether to ratify the New Start Treaty, which seeks to reduce the nuclear arsenals of both the US and Russia and allow each to inspect the other's facilities.


Wikileaks: Swiss bank freezes Julian Assange's account

The Swiss post office's bank, PostFinance, has frozen the accounts of Wikileaks founder Julian Assange.

The whistle-blowing website says the freeze includes a defence fund and personal assets worth 31,000 euros.

Wikileaks has published hundreds of secret US diplomatic cables, angering the US government and triggering moves by several companies including PayPal and Amazon to end their services.

Meanwhile, a warrant for Mr Assange's arrest has reached the UK authorities.

Sources have told the BBC that the European Arrest Warrant for Mr Assange arrived on Monday afternoon.

Swedish prosecutors want to question Mr Assange in connection with allegations of rape, sexual molestation and unlawful coercion, which he denies.

He is believed to be in hiding somewhere in south-east England. Once the police have located him, he would be expected to appear at a magistrate's court within 24 hours, pending extradition to Sweden, says the BBC's security correspondent Frank Gardner.

Mr Assange's UK lawyer, Mark Stephens, told the BBC: "We are in the process of making arrangements to meet with the police by consent in order to facilitate the taking of the question and answer that is needed."

Sweden first issued an arrest warrant for Mr Assange on 18 November but it was invalidated by a procedural error. A new warrant was issued on 2 December.

Julian Assange's lawyer, Mark Stephens, said he was making arrangements to meet with police "by consent"

The move by Switzerland's PostFinance to freeze the Wikileaks accounts is the latest setback to hit the whistle-blowing website since it began publishing the US cables last week.