US election: Michelle Obama denounces Trump 'hate'

US first lady Michelle Obama has denounced Republican Donald Trump and passionately backed Hillary Clinton at the Democratic National Convention in Philadelphia. "The hateful language... from public figures on TV does not represent the true spirit of this country," she said, to loud cheers and applause. "Don't stoop to their level. Our motto is, when they go low, we go high." Earlier, Vermont Senator Bernie Sanders urged Democrats to back Mrs Clinton. She will accept the party's presidential nomination on Thursday, when a roll call of how states' delegates are voting is to be read out.


EU watchdogs permit Privacy Shield to run for one year

The new EU-US data-sharing agreement will be able to run for at least a year, European regulators have announced. The Privacy Shield allows companies to transfer personal data from the EU to the United States. EU governments approved the pact earlier this month, but 28 data protection authorities had yet to comment. They have now said they will not challenge the deal for at least a year. This means that no legal objection to the framework will be launched until it has had time to go through its first annual review next summer. The Privacy Shield replaces an arrangement known as Safe Harbour, which was struck down in October 2015 after leaks showed data was subject to US surveillance.


Star Wars firm admits charges over Harrison Ford leg break

A production company behind Star Wars has pleaded guilty to two criminal charges after Han Solo actor Harrison Ford broke his leg on set. The 74-year-old was hit by a hydraulic metal door on the Pinewood set of the Millennium Falcon in June 2014. Foodles Production (UK) Ltd, a subsidiary of Disney, admitted two of four criminal charges at Milton Keynes Magistrates' Court. The company will be sentenced at Aylesbury Crown Court on 22 August. The other two charges were withdrawn.


AB InBev raises offer for SABMiller

The offer was raised by £1 a share to £45 a share, valuing SABMiller at about £79bn, up from £70bn previously. SABMiller said the two firms had discussed the deal last week "in light of recent exchange rate volatility and market movements". The pound has lost about 12% against the dollar since the UK referendum. The deal, agreed last year, will create the world's largest beer firm, producing about 30% of the world's beer. SABMiller said it would now consult with shareholders and that "a further announcement will be made thereafter". AB InBev said this latest offer was final. The increased offer comes after major investors in SABMiller argued the fall in sterling made their part in the deal worth less. The way in which the deal is structured means that investors can receive either a cash component or a share of the new company - a partial share agreement (PSA) as it is known. The share agreement was designed specifically for SAB's two biggest shareholders Altria and Bevco, who wanted to keep a stake in the new company. But since last November, when the merger was agreed, the cash value is now worth less in dollar terms, while the shares are now worth more. Aberdeen Asset Management, an SABMiller shareholder, said the latest revision was still not good enough. 


US election: Bernie Sanders to urge Democratic Party unity

The Vermont senator will set out the case for her being a "far superior" candidate to Republican Donald Trump. But his supporters have been holding protests in Philadelphia, saying they will never vote for Mrs Clinton. The convention gets under way with a leaked email scandal threatening to overshadow it. Wikileaks released emails that show the Democratic National Convention (DNC), which runs the party, was biased against Mr Sanders when he ran against Mrs Clinton in the hard-fought primary contest. Chairwoman Debbie Wasserman Schultz resigned on Sunday as pressure built on the party to address the scandal. And on Monday, she was jeered as she tried to speak to Florida delegates at a breakfast meeting at the convention.

 


Ansbach explosion: Bomber pledged allegiance to IS

Joachim Hermann said two phones, multiple SIM cards and a laptop were found with the body of the 27-year-old asylum seeker or at his accommodation. The man threatened a "revenge attack" on Germans in the video, he said. IS has claimed it was behind the attack and the Syrian was an IS "soldier". Fifteen people were injured, four of them seriously, when the man's explosive device went off close to a music festival in the small town, which is near Nuremberg. The attacker announced in the video "in the name of Allah that he pledged allegiance to [IS chief] Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi... and announced an act of revenge against Germans because they were standing in the way of Islam," Mr Hermann said.

 


Chinese Gen Guo Boxiong sentenced to life for corruption

Guo Boxiong, 74, was accused of using his influence to seek promotions for others and of accepting bribes. He was stripped of his rank of general and his personal assets have been seized, Xinhua news agency reports. President Xi Jinping has led a major anti-corruption campaign since taking office nearly four years ago. Hundreds of thousands of officials have been disciplined as part of the drive. From 2002 until 2012, Guo served as vice-chairman of China's Central Military Commission, which is in charge of the People's Liberation Army - the world's biggest armed forces. During that time he had also been a member of the 25-person Politburo - the power-base of the Communist Party. The Communist Party expelled him last year following a corruption probe.

 


Nigeria pastor arrested for chaining up son for 'stealing'

Nigerian police have arrested a church pastor, accused of keeping his nine-year-old son chained up for more than a month as a punishment for stealing. Police say they rescued the boy and arrested Pastor Francis Taiwo after a tip-off in the town of Ota in south-western Ogun State. Local media are running a photo of the victim, an emaciated young boy in chains, with a padlock around his neck. State police say that it is one of the worst child abuse cases they have seen. They say the boy's father admitted keeping him in chains, believing he was "possessed" due to his habit of stealing.

 


Zika Virus- No evidence of in-country Transmission

Premier of the Turks & Caicos issued a breaking release on the Zika Virus being found in the Turks & Caicos.

"My fellow Turks and Caicos Islanders, on July 26th my Public Health Staff in the Ministry of Health, Agriculture and Human Services reported 5 confirmed cases of Zika virus infections in the Turks and Cases Islands, three of which are imported and two of which are currently undergoing further investigations to determine whether they are also imported or part of local transmissions. The Ministry of Health is working with the Caribbean Public Health Agency (CARPHA), PAHO and UK IHR on the investigation of these cases. 

"The Environmental Health Department and Public Health Disease Surveillance Team of the Ministry of Health has stepped up its surveillance activities and has been working with the persons infected with the Zika virus to ensure that the risk of in-country transmission is reduced. 

"I am urging all residents and visitors of the Turks and Caicos Islands to remain calm as there is no evidence of in-country transmission at this time, although it remains possible. 

"Therefore we, in the Ministry of Health, are asking all persons to take the necessary precautions to avoid mosquito bites and to reduce the number of mosquitoes in and around your households, by cleaning up your yards and removing all catchment containers and derelict vehicles that can hold water as methods of reducing mosquito breeding. 

"The Environmental Health Department will continue its fogging activities where necessary and country-wide cleanup campaigns will continue. 

"During the Pre-Joint Ministerial Council Conference which was hosted here last week I, along with the other UK Overseas Territory Leaders, discussed new and innovative ways to combat the Zika virus by reducing the population of the Aedes Aegypti mosquito population. We will continue to explore those initiatives which are deemed suitable and applicable in the Turks and Caicos Islands. 

"We are particularly asking pregnant women to take extra precaution to avoid mosquito bites and to visit our local public health care providers who are currently issuing mosquito nets and providing educational material. 

"The Government's efforts will continue in this fight against this and other vector-borne illnesses and I, along with the Ministry of Health, will continue to update you on a regular basis on all changes to the status of Zika in the Turks and Caicos Islands.

"May God continue to protect you and bless you and may He continue to bless these Turks and Caicos Islands."


Zika virus now in the TCI

Mosquito-borne diseases like Dengue, Chikungunya and the recent emergence of Zika virus has been of serious concern in the Caribbean region including the Turks and Caicos Islands. 

The Turks and Caicos Government in partnership with the Caribbean Public Health Agency (CARPHA) and the Pan American Health Organization/World Health Organization (PAHO), the Airport Authority, Tourist Board, Turks and Caicos Hotel and Tourism Association, TCI Hospital and other local and regional stakeholders has taken extensive measures to protect our residents and visitors from the threat of diseases. 

The Ministry of Health, Agriculture and Human Services has held several joint high level meetings with our regional and local partners to ensure that all available resources are accumulated and every measure possible is taken to ensure that our country implements the strongest possible Zika virus preparedness and response plan to address this issue. Thus far, the following steps have been taken:

 • Increased countrywide clean up campaigns, fogging exercises and premises inspections; 

• Expanded surveillance efforts;

• Provided regular training sessions and situational updates to health professionals; and 

• Stepped up public awareness campaigns.

Since 2007, 65 countries have reported cases of Zika. Of the 65 countries, approximately 22 countries are located in the Caribbean region. As of Friday, July 22, 2016, the Turks and Caicos Islands has recorded 5 cases of Zika Virus. Three (3) of these cases are associated with a recent history of travel to areas where cases of Zika has been reported. The other 2 are being investigated. To date, there is no epidemiological evidence of in country transmission associated with the two non-travel related cases. Measures have been taken to ensure that these cases are managed and contained, and all affected persons are recovering.

Zika is a viral illness, which is spread by the bite of an infected Aedes aegypti mosquito. This mosquito is found throughout the Americas, including the TCI. Most persons who contract Zika are often not aware that they have the illness as they may not have any symptoms. Symptoms of Zika are similar to Dengue and Chikungunya and appear between four to seven days after someone has been bitten by an infected mosquito. These symptoms include mild fever, skin rash, conjunctivitis (also known as pink eye), muscle or joint pain, and general malaise. 

There is no specific medication to treat Zika and there are currently no vaccines to prevent the illness. However, symptoms of Zika can be managed by:

 • Getting plenty of rest 

• Drinking fluids to prevent dehydration 

• Taking medicines, such as acetaminophen, or paracetamol, to relieve fever and pain. 

• Do not take aspirin and other non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs such as Aleve or Ibuprofen unless advised by a doctor. 

The concern with Zika is a growing body of evidence regarding the connection between infection with Zika during pregnancy and possible abnormalities in the newborn. In addition, there has been an association with Zika and other neurological complications such as Guillain-Barre syndrome. 

To protect yourself and your family, the Ministry advises persons in the TCI to take the following precautions: 

1. Prevent mosquito breeding in and around your home by keeping your environment clean (check your gutters and remove standing water from old flower vases, tires and other containers that might act as breeding sites such as water drums and barrels). 

2. Avoid being bitten by wearing loose long-sleeved shirts and long pants, applying insect repellents and using mosquito nets. 

3. Zika has been proven to be sexually transmitted therefore we recommend condom use. 

4. Pregnant women are advised to seek more information from their health provider at their next scheduled visit and not to travel to areas with Zika virus during pregnancy. If pregnant and you suspect that you have Zika, contact your healthcare provider immediately. 

5. Women and men who have been diagnosed with the Zika virus are advised to seek guidance from their health provider prior to planning a future pregnancy. 

For more information, contact the Ministry of Health, Agriculture and Human Services on 338-3061 or 338-3058. The Ministry will keep the public informed with any new developments.