Automotive Hall of Fame mulls move to downtown Detroit
After nearly 20 years in Dearborn, Mich., the Automotive Hall of Fame’s president says it’s time to move the museum to downtown Detroit. During the Automotive Hall of Fame’s induction ceremony Thursday, William Chapin said the organization believes there’s a need to develop a destination in downtown Detroit that will tell the stories of automotive innovators as well as look ahead to the next era of breakthroughs with autonomous driving and mobility. Chapin envisions a day when downtown visitors will tour the Detroit Institute of Arts museum, then take a quick hop on the M-1 Rail -- now under construction -- to the Automotive Hall of Fame to “learn about Detroit’s hometown industry.” The rail project is slated for completion in 2017. “We’re going to put together a group of people to help us figure out how to do that,” Chapin said of the potential move. The Hall of Fame is next to The Henry Ford museum in Dearborn. The 25,000-square-foot facility opened in August 1997.
Samsung invests $449 million in China's BYD
BYD Co., the electric-car maker backed by Warren Buffett's Berkshire Hathaway Inc., said a unit of Samsung Electronics Co. bought a $449 million (3 billion yuan) stake in the Chinese auto company. Shanghai Samsung Semiconductor bought 52.3 million BYD shares at 57.4 yuan apiece in a private placement that raised 14.5 billion yuan in total from six investors, according to a statement to the Shenzhen stock exchange. The fundraising will dilute billionaire Chairman Wang Chuanfu's stake by about 1.9 percentage points to 18.8 percent. Samsung pursued a stake in BYD after its affiliate was among foreign battery makers left off a list of suppliers approved by China, where sales of EVs are surging and the government has sped up construction of charging points. The world's largest maker of phones and memory chips said last week investing in BYD would bolster Samsung's semiconductor business for cars.
ANGUILLIAN EDUCATION AUTHORITIES CONDUCT TWO DAY VISIT WITH TCI MINISTRY OF EDUCATION
The Ministry of Education, Youth, Sport and Library Services, hosted Mrs. Chanelle E Petty Barrett, Permanent Secretary for Ministry of Education, Sports, Culture, Health and Social Development and Mr. Daren E. Webster, Facilities Manager with the Ministry responsible for Infrastructure in Anguilla during the week of June 20th 2016. This visit was part of a continued initiative to develop a closer relationship with other overseas territories, as they continue to exchange information and ideas between ministries. The Minister responsible for Education, Youth, Sport and Library Services, Hon. Akierra Missick and Permanent Secretary Mrs. Cherylann Jones made a two day visit to Anguilla at the invitation of Anguillan officials. The purpose of the visit was a review of their progress regarding library services, special needs education and the developments associated with their Community College and its expansion. In turn, the Hon. Missick was happy to reciprocate and hosted officials from Anguilla who expressed interest in visiting the newly built Long Bay High School, alongside other new builds including the proposed Early Childhood Education classrooms at the Ona Glinton Primary School. The Anguillan officials were pleased with the reception from local education officials and members of the Public Works team who accompanied them, as they discussed issues related to the planning and development of the new schools. The Honorable Akierra Missick said: 'I am committed to building partnerships among and between our colleagues from the other overseas territories. Both the Permanent Secretary and I were happy to participate in the exchange with Anguillan officials." She noted further that; 'The experience allowed for the sharing of information and opened the doorway for further collaboration between areas such as the Community College. We were happy to share our experience with the Long Bay High School and other projects and will look for other opportunities for collaboration." The visiting delegates gave positive feedback and reported the visit to be very successful.
CRAWFISH SEASON TO COMMENCE ON 15 AUGUST, 2016
Fishing interests, restaurants and the general public are reminded of the opening of Crawfish Season next month. As has been the case for the past four seasons, the Crawfish Season will open on 15th August. This has proven successful in reducing the quantity of egg-bearing lobsters landed, and is believed to have contributed to increased abundance and landings of crawfish. The last day of the Crawfish season will be 15th March, 2017.
"Last season the fishing community of the Turks and Caicos benefited from an increase in crawfish landings. This appears to be the result of the stock starting to rebuild, and as long as we continue to implement the measures we have in place we are confident that this rebuilding will continue to the benefit of fishermen and the environment alike," said Dr John Claydon, Department of Environment & Coastal Resources (DECR) Director.
Hon. Porsha Stubbs-Smith, Minister of Tourism, Environment, Gaming, Culture and Heritage said: "I would like to remind all persons who participate on a daily basis this season, to fish responsibly. Remember, crawfish is a part of our culture and heritage and unless we are held accountable for our fishing during the season, we wont have it in the generations to come."
Restrictions relating to crawfish, as per the Fisheries Protection Ordinance, are listed below:
Crawfish size restrictions are as follows:
When whole, a length of 3.25 inches measured from the front of the groove between the horns directly above the eyes, along the middle of the back to the rear edge of the back shell.
When the tail has been separated, a tail weight of 5 ounces whether processed or not.
Fishers are not to be in the possession of any egg-bearing crawfish.
Fishers are not to remove eggs from egg-bearing crawfish.
Fishers are not to take or be in possession of moulting / soft-shelled crawfish or crawfish in early stages of spawning (described as appearing 'tar-spotted')
Fishers are to ensure that the crawfish are landed unharmed (except for those taken by hook) and landed whole prior to being processed on land (at a processing plant or at home), unless processed at sea as per the terms of the processing license.
The use of any noxious substance (e.g. bleach, detergent, gasoline) for capturing any marine product is prohibited.
DECR appeals to citizens, residents and visitors in the Turks & Caicos Islands, to familiarise themselves with and to uphold the Fisheries Protection Regulations, and urges all responsible citizens to call DECR at 338 4170 or email environment@gov.tc to report any violations.
Drake's One Dance edges closer to UK chart record
Drake has retained the UK number one spot for the 15th consecutive week.His single One Dance is now only two weeks away from breaking the record for the longest uninterrupted reign at the top of the chart. Bryan Adams's single Everything I Do (I Do It For You), which held the number one spot for 16 weeks in 1991, is the current record holder. The last single to notch up 15 weeks at number one was Wet Wet Wet's Love Is All Around, released in 1994. One Dance owes much of its continued success to its popularity on streaming sites. The song received 4.33 million streams this week - equivalent to 43,300 sales. It has also been boosted by its absence from YouTube, which has prompted music fans to download or stream the song in order to hear it. Cover versions of the song are available to listen to on the video sharing website, but Drake's original version has yet to be uploaded by his official account.
IMF's Lagarde to face trial over payout court confirms
The head of the International Monetary Fund, Christine Lagarde, will stand trial over a state payout to the French tycoon Bernard Tapie, an appeals court has ruled. She is charged with negligence over the award to Mr Tapie of €404m ($445m; £339m) in 2008 when she was France's economy minister. Ms Lagarde had appealed against a lower court ruling from December. She is now expected to appear before a special court for government ministers. The case stems from Mr Tapie's sale of his majority stake in the sports equipment company, Adidas, which was handled by the state-owned bank, Credit Lyonnais. The businessman sued for compensation after claiming he was defrauded by the bank and received too little from the sale in 1993.
New Gorilla Glass helps prevent phone smashes
It has launched its next generation of Gorilla Glass - the material used in more than 70% of smartphone screens, including on Samsung and Apple devices. Corning said Gorilla Glass 5 could survive more than 80% of drops from as high as 1.6 metres. Shattered or cracked screens are the number one cause of smartphone repairs and customer complaints globally. The new glass was tested on rough surfaces - a demo for journalists showed dummy phones being dropped from a height of 1.6 meters onto a sheet of sandpaper. Some of the phones tested survived over 20 hard drops in the lab. Typically, most phone drops are from between waist and shoulder height.
Hungry Jack's: Corpse lay undiscovered in Australian fast food outlet toilet for days
The authorities in Western Australia are trying to determine how a man's dead body went unnoticed for nearly three days in the toilet of a fast food outlet in a suburb of Perth. It is thought the man died from a drugs overdose, and the death is not being treated as suspicious. Customers at the store have expressed concern about hygiene standards. Hungry Jack's, the Australian franchise of Burger King, said they were co-operating with the authorities. When contacted by the Australian news broadcaster ABC, Hungry Jack's head office did not address questions relating to the cleaning schedule of the bathrooms, but issued a short, unattributed statement.
US election: Hillary Clinton poised to announce running mate
Her announcement would come ahead of the Democratic National Convention, which is due to begin on Monday in Philadelphia. Senator Elizabeth Warren, a favourite choice among Democrats, has said she was "probably not" the choice. Virginia Senator Tim Kaine has emerged as a leading contender for the role. The former secretary of state may reveal her vice-presidential pick on the campaign trail in the key battleground state of Florida. Mrs Clinton is expected to attend a rally at Florida International University on Saturday, where her newly minted running mate could also make an appearance.
US election: Donald Trump promises a 'safer' America
"The crime and violence that today afflicts our nation will soon come to an end," he told the party convention. The businessman promised his presidency would usher in a new era putting America and ordinary people first. Mr Trump's nomination has been clouded by the refusal of major party figures like Senator Ted Cruz to endorse him. Mr Cruz, who was his bitter rival during the primary contests, was booed off the stage by Trump supporters. Other Trump opponents such as members of the Bush family stayed away from the convention altogether. Mr Trump, a New York businessman who was written off when he launched his campaign a year ago, said he hoped his speech would ease tensions and unite the party.
