Black Gave Blessing to Musical Stage

Cilla Black gave her blessing to a West End musical based on her life before she died, her agent has confirmed.

The singer and TV star was "thrilled and excited" about the idea, Nick Fiveash said.

"Her manager, son Robert Willis, had been in continuous talks with a West End producer regarding early stages of planning, but obviously these are now on hold for the time being," he said.

Black is to be buried in her home city of Liverpool later this week.

Black, who emerged from the city's music scene in the 1960s before becoming the host of hit TV shows Blind Date and Surprise Surprise, died at her villa in Estepona on the Costa del Sol on 1 August.

A coroner ruled last week that the entertainer died from an accidental traumatic head injury after a fall.

Cilla Black's early years were dramatised in a three-part ITV series in 2014 starring Sheridan Smith.

Jeff Pope's drama charted how the young Priscilla White was transformed into a chart-topping singing star.

The entertainer's funeral on Thursday will take place at St Mary's Church in the suburb of Woolton.

After the funeral, her body will be laid to rest at a private ceremony in Allerton Cemetery, where her parents are buried.


Jeff Bezos defends Amazon

The world's biggest online retailer is firing back against reports of an abusive corporate culture. A New York Times report over the weekend described a demanding and degrading environment at Amazon. Amazon's boss Jeff Bezos wrote in a memo to staff that the "article doesn't describe the Amazon I know".

The New York Times article quoted one former employee who said: "Nearly every person I worked with, I saw cry at their desk."

The report included testimonials from 100 current and former employees who depict a "bruising" workplace at Amazon, where employees are expected to "toil long and late".

Some claimed the company edged out workers who were suffering from personal crises, including miscarriages and cancer. 

The article also said that the culture calls for employees to respond to emails after midnight. If they don't, they receive text messages demanding a swift response.

A press representative for Amazon said: "While we generally do not comment on individual news stories, we quickly saw current Amazon employees react."


"They have to go." Trump says to illegal immigrants

Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump says he wants to end the automatic right to citizenship for all children born in the United States.

All children born in the US - even if their parents are illegal immigrants - get citizenship under the constitution. Other measures he outlined would include raising visa fees to pay for a wall along the Mexican border.

Immigration is a central plank of Mr Trump's campaign to be the Republican contender in next year's election. "They have to go," he told NBC.

A tough deportation policy was needed, he said, because "there's definitely evidence" of crimes linked to immigrants living in the country illegally.


Successful End to TCI Hospitality Adventure's Summer Camps

July was extra special and exciting for a group of young adults who were all eager to be a part of TCI Hospitality Adventure's ever popular annual Summer Camps. 

The Adventure Programme which was implemented by TCHTA to enrich and enhance the national development of TCI's tourism product continue to grow year after year, attracting a tremendous interest from students across the islands and of all ages. This year three Camps were facilitated by TCI Hospitality Adventure through TCHTA over a four week period and gave the kids hands on experience and left them with a wealth of knowledge about the destination's top industry.

Jr. Lit'l Chefs Camp, Spa Camp and Jr. Mechanics Camp were all a hit with the participants as they travelled throughout Providenciales and even journeyed to Parrot Cay to learn about different day to day operations in the industry. Jr. Lit'l Chefs Camp saw twelve (12) budding chefs creating, naming and decorating desserts with their mentors at Parrot Cay Resort in addition to making pita bread and pizza with the Crust Bakery team, touring Graceway IGA supermarket along with other activities which allowed them to show off their culinary skills. Up next was the Spa Camp which was organised by Meryl Cooper of Spa Tropique, giving eleven (11) participants the opportunity to visit various spas including Regent Palms Spa, Red Lane Spa, Exhale Spa, Spa Troqiue, Amanyara among others. Automotive Art then had the pleasure of organising the Jr. Mechanics Camp which included classroom sessions on the automotive industry along with a tour of the facility and a demonstration on the anatomy of a gas combustion engine.

Stacy Cox, TCHTA's Executive Director and TCI Hospitality Adventure's Committee Member who joined the kids on some of their tours noted, "What better way to spend the summer than learning about stuff you love and have a passion for. I had the opportunity to join the Jr. Lit'l Chefs as they prepared appetizers with Ian Ongjoco, winner of the Lit'l Chefs team competition last year and Wayne Garland, 2013 Lit'l Chef participant who is now attending culinary school in England. The last day of the Camp was remarkable as we held a miniature competition among the students which saw them creating culinary masterpieces."

Cox added, "As the interest in the Camps grows each year we the Committee will continue to ensure that they remain relevant, providing the students with an experience next to none, an experience which allows them to see what our industry workers do daily during their working life. Some of the kids are actually "repeat-participants", which shows us that we are doing something right."

TCHTA expressed special thanks to Parrot Cay Resort and Spa, Seven Stars Resort, Graceway IGA, Crust Bakery, Villa del Mar, Royal West Indies Resort, Blue Haven Resort, Chef Thomas Musson, Spa Tropique, Regent Palms, Red Lane Spa (Beaches), Exhale Spa ( Gansevoort),Amanyara, Grace Bay Club, Grace Bay Car Rentals/Thrifty and Automotive Art.

 


Is there a Link between video games & violence ?

More than 200 academics have signed an open letter criticising controversial new research suggesting a link between violent video games and aggression.

The findings were released by the American Psychological Association.

It set up a taskforce that reviewed hundreds of studies and papers published between 2005 and 2013.

The American Psychological Association concluded while there was "no single risk factor" to blame for aggression, violent video games did contribute.

"The research demonstrates a consistent relation between violent video game use and increases in aggressive behaviour, aggressive cognitions and aggressive affect, and decreases in pro-social behaviour, empathy and sensitivity to aggression," said the report.

"It is the accumulation of risk factors that tends to lead to aggressive or violent behaviour. The research reviewed here demonstrates that violent video game use is one such risk factor."

However, a large group of academics said they felt the methodology of the research was deeply flawed as a significant part of material included in the study had not been subjected to peer review.

"I fully acknowledge that exposure to repeated violence may have short-term effects - you would be a fool to deny that - but the long-term consequences of crime and actual violent behaviour, there is just no evidence linking violent video games with that," Dr Mark Coulson, associate professor of psychology at Middlesex University and one of the signatories of the letter told the BBC.

"If you play three hours of Call of Duty you might feel a little bit pumped, but you are not going to go out and mug someone."

The question about whether violent games inspire violent behaviour "in real life" is a subject that strongly divides opinion.

Source:BBC


Ifeanyi Otuonye left Sunday for IAAF World Championships in Beijing, China.

Long jump bronze medalist, Ifeanyi Otuonye left Sunday for Beijing China where he will represent the Turks and Caicos Islands in the Long Jump event at the IAAF World Championships in Beijing, China.

Accompanying him are Coach Alvirto Ali Smith and President of TCAAA, Edith Skippings.

Both are excited and confident of chances at medaling at this event.  

 


Bailey-Cole saddened by injury that rules him out of World Champs

JAMAICA'S technical leader Maurice Wilson could not contain his disappointment with Kemar Bailey-Cole's injury and what he claims are inflammatory statements being made by detractors.

"We are extremely disappointed about the absence of Bailey-Cole from the relay squad, and that is why persons must allow the technical staff to do its job and stop making fabricated statements without the facts," said Wilson.

However, Wilson did not expand on who made statments or what the fabricated statements were.

Bailey-Cole, the reigning Commonwealth Games 100m champion, tore his hamstring in training on Saturday and had to pull out of the World Championships.

The 23-year-old, who belongs to the Racers Track Club, the same as Usain Bolt and Yohan Blake, last raced on July 24 at the London Diamond League, finishing third behind Bolt in a personal best of 9.92 seconds. However, he eased up at the end of the race, suspected of suffering cramps.

Following his injury at the training camp in Tottori, Japan, Bailey-Cole posted his disappointment on his Facebook page.

"It is with bitter emotions that I am announcing that my season has come to an end. I will not be competing at the World Championships. This is so, as an ongoing cramp to both hamstrings at the London Anniversary Games now lead to one of them being torn yesterday (Aug 15, 2015) in practice. Thank you all for your thoughtfulness. Your generosity and support during this difficult time is greatly appreciated," Bailey-Cole wrote.

Bailey-Cole, who finished third at Jamaica's National Senior Championship and booked his place to Beijing, has been replaced by Nesta Carter in the 100m individual event.

Bailey-Cole will also be missed in the 4x100 relay where he has established himself, striking gold at the 2012 London Olympics, 2013 Moscow World Championship and 2014 Commonwealth Games.

 


Jason Day wins US PGA Championship at Whistling Straits

Australian Jason Day won his first major title with a record score of 20 under par at the US PGA Championship.

The 27 year old Day, shot a closing 67 at Whistling Straits on Sunday to record the lowest total at one of golf's four majors.

The world number five saw off a chasing pack that included Masters and US Open champion Jordan Spieth, who finished three shots back in second place.

That was enough to ensure the American, 22, replaces Northern Irishman Rory McIlroy, 26, as world number one.

South African Branden Grace was third on 15 under and Justin Rose of England finished fourth on 14 under after his challenge faded with a double bogey on the 13th.

McIlroy closed with a 69 to end his first tournament back from an ankle injury at nine under par.

 


Two Armed Robbery Suspects Shot Dead By Police After Car Chase

TWO MEN are dead and another in critical condition in hospital after a shootout with police following a high-speed car chase early on Sunday morning.

The men were suspects in a number of armed robberies and had earlier stolen a car. The shootout took place on Balfour and Claridge Roads.

According to police reports, shortly after 5am, a man was driving in his white Honda Fit on East Street near Robinson Road, when three males, two of whom were armed with handguns and another with a knife, robbed him of his car and drove off.

Police immediately sent out an All-Points Bulletin (APB) for the vehicle. Officers on patrol then spotted the car in the Robinson Road area. A chase ensued that ended on Balfour and Claridge Roads, where the vehicle crashed into a utility pole.

Three male suspects got out and opened fire on police. Police returned fire, fatally shooting two of the suspects. The other was rushed to hospital, where he remains in critical condition. Police recovered the stolen vehicle, two handguns and a knife from the scene.

Police suspect the three males to be responsible for a number of armed robberies over the past weeks and confirmed that one of the suspects is being electronically monitored and is on bail for a serious offence.

The Coroner, Jeanine Weech-Gomez, visited the scene and is now leading the investigation.

 


Two arrested in the Bahamas after posting images of guns and drugs on social media

Police have arrested a man who posted photographs online of a baby with a gun and drugs on his lap, as well as a woman who was seen in pictures carrying a high-powered assault firearm, warning citizens who use social media in this way that they would not be able to hide.

The 20-year-old woman was held yesterday for questioning in relation to firearm possession.

Lawmen said her arrest was a result of an investigation launched after several photos were posted on various social media sites.

The detention of a 26-year-old man in connection with the other controversial posts came earlier in the week.

The image of an infant with a handgun – captioned “Daddy buy me a new toy” – and another showing him with a package of what appeared to be marijuana on his lap, had been making the rounds on Facebook and WhatsApp, prompting police to initiate a search for the person responsible.

The suspect was arrested shortly after 11 o’clock on Tuesday night.

“Police are issuing a stern warning to social media users who break the law that they will be tracked down and be dealt with robustly, according to the law,” a statement from the Royal Bahamas Police Force said.