Two weeks to go to the IAAF World Championships, Beijing 2015
There are just two weeks to go to the IAAF World Championships, Beijing 2015 which takes place between 22-30 August.
Many of the IAAF’s 214 Member Federations have already named their teams for the most important sporting event on this year’s calendar but with the final entry deadline at midnight (Central European Time) on Monday 10 August, this weekend offers the last chance for athletes to qualify and for Member Federations to complete their squad selections.
Approximately 2000 athletes from over 200 nations are expected to compete in the Chinese capital later this month.
The USA and Jamaica have yet to formally name their teams but it is already known that global champions like Usain Bolt, Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce, David Oliver, Christian Taylor, Ashton Eaton, Jenn Suhr and Brittney Reese have booked their places on the planes to Beijing.
Russia named their 71-strong team in the wake of their national championships earlier this week.
Other European nations to have named their teams include Czech Republic, France, Germany and Great Britain.
Distance running power houses Kenya and Ethiopia have also named their teams early and can expect to feature prominently on the IAAF World Championships Beijing 2015 medal podiums.
The famous Bird’s Nest stadium, the centrepiece of the 2008 Olympic Games, will have a 50,000 capacity for the championships and the IAAF and Local Organising Committee have been very happy to announce recently that it will be full for each evening session, ensuring the world’s top athletics exponents get the audience they deserve.
The IAAF website has a special section devoted to the championships.
Coverage of the IAAF World Championships, Beijing 2015 will include live results, previews, reports, features, a live blog and extensive coverage on the IAAF social media outlets such as Twitter and Facebook.
Results, timetable details and the live blog will also be available in Chinese on the IAAF website and coverage will be available on Chinese social media
Trinidad police confirm report of death threat on Opposition Leader’s life
Less than 24 hours after saying he knew nothing about a death threat against Opposition Leader Dr. Keith Rowley, National Security Minister Brigadier Carl Alfonso has confirmed that police are investigating such a threat.
Local media reports today quoted Alfonso as saying that Deputy Commissioner of Police Glenn Hackett on Monday morning officially informed him that lawmen had received a report that Rowley’s life was in danger, and that security for the People’s National Movement (PNM) leader had been beefed up as a result.
Alfonso said he does not know the source of the report, or who reported it to him, but clearly, he must be concerned, and is dealing with it, declining to say anything more because of the ongoing investigation.
Speaking at a political meeting on Sunday, Rowley said the government had hired people to kill him. Senior PNM member Faris Al-Rawi further alleged that a TT$15 million (US$2.3 million) hit, had been put on Rowley.
Alfonso told the Trinidad Express on Sunday that he had not been informed of any threat on Rowley’s life.
“Maybe the Police Commissioner may have received that information and probably he has dealt with it, but it has not come any further. It has not come to any member of government, certainly not to my good self. If the Police Commissioner thinks it’s serious enough to inform me, he will,” the minister told the newspaper at the time.
Before Alfonso reported that he had been brought up to speed on this matter, Communications Minister Vasant Bharath had dismissed Rowley’s claims, charging that if the threat was real, it would have been reported to police.
“To make such allegations on a public platform is not only irresponsible and deliberately contrived to create panic, it is also a demonstration of using public platforms to incite the population rather than to articulate clear plans for the future,” he said in a statement.
Grand Turk Lighthouse redevelopment to be more expensive
One of the land marks in the nation’s capital Grand Turk, has come in for some rave reviews, having been ranked as #5 of nine must see sights in the island, home to the mega Grand Turk Cruise Centre, with an impressive 4.5 rating.
And what many see as a nuisance mainly because they rummage through homeowners garbage bins and make a mess of their surroundings, if allowed to get in; or in many instances roaming the streets, could become a threat to motorists, the wild donkeys seem to catch the attention of many tourists.
“Just visited the Grand Turk Lighthouse. The view of the ocean is stunning but the wild donkeys are the real attraction. They seem to know that thrusts will be at the lighthouse and that they will get fed. Bring some chips or anything else you can get and you will make friends with the donkeys real fast,” is how one tourist described his visit to the nation’s capital.
In addition to residents here, students who attend the TCI Community College, next to the Lighthouse, thousands of tourists also traverse the main road to the Lighthouse where zip lining is fast becoming the perfect added attraction, complimenting the spectacular view of the waves breaking the shoreline.
And because it is such a wonderful attraction, TCIG has often come in for criticism for not paying more attention to the Lighthouse Road.
However, a recent Cabinet decision will see an increase the redevelopment fund by $30,000, subject to Carnival Cruise Lines approval as a part of the Infrastructure Fund. A post cabinet release explained that the money would be needed to facilitate the implementation of the consultancy to provide design and technical documentation, suitable to tender for the reconstruction and upgrading of Lighthouse Road in Grand Turk.
DO NOT GET TAKEN BY WIRE TRANSFER SCAMS
The Financial Crimes Unit of the Royal Turks & Caicos Islands Police Force has sounded a warning to residents here in the TCI, not be tricked by scammers as they have detected a recent increase in scam victims here in the TCI.
The FCU warns that using a bank or a money transfer company to "wire" funds electronically is an easy and convenient way to send cash to someone, noting that when consumers wire money to people they know, the transaction typically takes place without a problem. However, wiring money to strangers in another country they say is risky because often these persons could be scam artists.
“Crooks like their victims to use wire transfers because the money moves fast and they can take the money and run before the victim discovers the truth. Con artists also know that the transaction is difficult to reverse, and the money is difficult to get back. That's why they will use any tactic to convince people to wire money to a complete stranger," the FCU said.
“Never wire money to people you don't know, regardless of how convincing or enticing their story may be. Scammers often win their victims' confidence with some "bait," such as a work-at-home offer, a great deal on a product for sale, or news that you have won some kind of lottery. Be especially careful with transactions over the Internet, where the other person's true identity can remain anonymous. A stranger asking you to wire money is a huge red flag that it is a scam. Don't fall for it,” the FCU warns.
The Financial Crimes Unit suggests, even if you get a request to send a wire transfer and it's supposedly from someone you do know, to confirm that is the case some other way, such as through a separate phone call.
“If you are being pressed to make a decision or send money fast, it's probably a sign of a scam. For example, crooks might frighten you with a phone call that a loved one is in trouble and needs cash sent to the caller immediately. Thieves may try to divert you away from using a more traditional means of money transfer, such as a credit card or check. To do this, they often stress the 'urgency' of the transaction to get the victim to act without thinking,” the FCU added.
Always remember that wiring money is like sending cash, and because you voluntarily sent the money, you have fewer protections in terms of getting it back. Never give out your bank account or credit card numbers in response to an advertisement or an unsolicited call, text message or e-mail. That information could enable someone to steal money out of your account by a wire transfer, before you have time to realize that the interaction was fabricated by a swindler,” the Financial Crimes Unit warned.
Growth in Greek Economy
The Greek economy grew by 0.8% in the second quarter of the year, confounding expectations of a steep contraction.
The official figures, based on a flash estimate, also revised a reading of 0.2% negative growth in the first quarter to a flat reading, showing no change in economic activity. The reading did not break down which sectors had been most active.
The figures from the country's Elstat agency come as the Greek parliament prepares to vote on new bailout plans. The Greek government has defended the controversial new programme as tough, but essential if the country is to avoid financial collapse.
The credit crisis sparked six years of recession in Greece, from which it emerged in 2014 before shrinking again. Until these latest figures were released, the economy had been forecast to shrink again this year by between 2.1% and 2.3%.
Nikos Magginas at National Bank said it was now possible that the contraction would be less than 2%.
He said there were a number of sectors likely to have helped boost activity: "Some economic activity indicators in the second quarter, including consumption, industrial production and tourism, had shown particular resilience."
NORTH/MIDDLE CAICOS CAUSEWAY 2ND PHASE AND TRAFFIC DIVERSION COMMENCES
Persons traveling between North and Middle Caicos via the causeway will begin seeing improvements due to a major make over which began on 1 June 2015.
The Public Works Department of the Ministry of Infrastructure, Housing and Planning (MIHP) is advising the general public that the reconstruction of the North and Middle Caicos Causeway Phase 2 is underway and to be mindful of temporary traffic changes.
"The government continues to build modern infrastructure which promotes economic growth and job creation in the Turks and Caicos Islands. These repairs will make transportation between North and Middle Caicos easier and quicker which can increase the access to more business opportunities," said Susan Malcolm, Permanent Secretary MIHP.
"A temporary diversion route was constructed adjacent to the causeway to facilitate the installation of concrete box culverts by the contractor, JACA TCI Ltd. The construction of box culverts is important to the refurbishment of the causeway as they will increase the water flow area through the causeway, an improvement both from the engineering and environmental aspects."
Drivers are being advised to take extra care on this section of the causeway, especially during the night, although temporary lights have been installed in the area.
The works are on schedule with a completion date of early December 2015. The outcome will be a noticeable improvement, as the reconstruction will include a bituminous paved surface. In order to limit damage from future hurricanes, mangrove plants which reduce the effect of a tidal surge and damage on shore, are being installed along the length of the causeway.
Cyber-Flashing - Very Distressing
Police are investigating a "new" crime of cyber-flashing after a commuter received an indecent image on her phone as she travelled to work.
The victim received two pictures of an unknown man's penis on her phone via Apple's Airdrop sharing function.
Lorraine Crighton-Smith, 34, said she felt "violated" and reported it to the British Transport Police (BTP).
Supt Gill Murray said this particular crime was new to her force and urged people to report any other incidents.
Ms Crighton-Smith, who was travelling on a train in south London, told the BBC's Victoria Derbyshire programme: "I had Airdrop switched on because I had been using it previously to send photos to another iPhone user - and a picture appeared on the screen of a man's penis, which I was quite shocked by.
"So, I declined the image, instinctively, and another image appeared, at which [point] I realised someone nearby must be sending them, and that concerned me. I felt violated, it was a very unpleasant thing to have forced upon my screen.`
"I was also worried about who else might have been a recipient, it might have been a child, someone more vulnerable than me.
"My name on Airdrop says Lorraine so they knew they were sending it to a woman. The images were of a sexual nature and it was distressing."
Arrest Made For A Deadly Fire In Mexico In 2009
Forty-nine children died and more than 70 were seriously injured when flames spread through the ABC nursery, which did not have an emergency exit.
Relatives of the victims have long demanded justice saying the nursery did not comply with safety regulations. But a lawyer for the relatives said the warrants targeted the wrong people.
Prosecutors asked a judge to issue the arrest warrants for the director of the nursery and some of its management and teachers.
Gabriel Alvarado, a lawyer for the relatives' group Hands United for Our Children called the move "erroneous" arguing it did not target the officials responsible for the tragedy.
PDM LEADER PARTICIPATES IN ANGUILLA’S POST ELECTION SEMINAR
Following her participation in the first ever Election Observer Mission to Anguilla earlier this year, Hon Cartwright Robinson was invited by CPA UK to be a part of a Post - Election Seminar.
PDM Leader, Hon Sharlene Cartwright Robinson has just completed participation as a Presenter in Anguilla’s first ever Post Election Seminar held from August 10 – 12, 2015. Hon Robinson served on four member Team organized by the CPA BIMR in the UK. Also included in this Team were Dr Matthew Offord, MP from the House of Commons; Hon Duncan McNeil MSP, Senior MP from the Scottish Parliament and Duncan Sagar, Clerk of Select Committees in the House of Lords. Local notable presenters included Anguilla’s Chief Minister Hon Victor Banks; Anguilla’s Deputy Governor Hon Stanley Reid; Speaker Hon Leroy Rogers; retired Justice Don Mitchell CBE QC and former Anguillan Speaker David Carty.
Hon Robinson presented during seven of the eleven Sessions which included Parliamentary Practise and Procedure in TCI, the role of Political Parties and Parliaments, Holding the Executive into Account, Standards, Privileges, Ethics and Interests in the TCI’s experience, The Role of the Public Accounts Committee and two sessions with the newly formed Anguillan Youth Parliament.
“It was great to share the experiences that I have gained over the past 17 years in Party and Parliamentary involvement particularly those gained as a result of the many national consultations and bodies that I have been involved in. The reviews from the attendees were encouraging and I was happy to be of assistance to new parliamentarians from Anguilla and the BVI. There were a few highlights for me and that of course were the sessions involving the youth parliamentarians and then to present together with the Chief Minister of Anguilla and hear from such a senior regional politician on the positives of party politics and the coalition of ideas. Hearing from a brilliant mind such as Justice Don Mitchell CBE QC will be for me an unforgettable experience.”
Mitsubishi Electric continued their Dominance
The Turks and Caicos Islands Cricket Association Summer T20 Cricket League Tournament sponsored by HAB Group, continued on Saturday; 8th August 2015 at The Downtown Ball Park, Providenciales.
Police won the toss and batted then reached 169 runs for the loss of 5 wickets from 20 overs. Garvin Bruno lead the way with 61 runs, 7x4 2x6 and Kareem Jack supported with 43 runs which contained 7x4 and Desbourne young added 35 runs 3x6 2x4.
Bowling for Mitsubishi Electric Marlon Graham snatched 3 wickets for 19 runs from 4 overs Ajay Vyas and Craig James had one wicket apiece.
In reply Mitsubishi Electric recovered from a disastrous start to reach the prescribed target in 19 overs for the loss of 3 wickets. Marlon Graham top score with an unbeaten with 83 runs 12x4 2x6 and Vikram John supported with a cyclonic 60 runs which was lace with 9x4 and 2x6.
Bowling for the lawmen Jerry Grant, Lyndon Tyson and Vaurice Jervis took one wicket each
Meanwhile the league will continue on Saturday 15 August, 2015 Police will tackle Mitsubishi Electric and on Sunday 16 August, 2015 Kischo will try to Reign Quality Super kings at the Downtown Ball Park.
