Hillary Clinton to be America's First Female Presidential Nominee
Hillary Clinton claimed the democratic presidential nomination Tuesday, which would make her the first woman to represent a major party in the race for the White House.
Her democratic rival, Vermont Senator Bernie Sanders, won North Dakota Tuesday, but Clinton won New Jersey.
Clinton maintains a lead in Montana and South Dakota. California results are not yet available. Senator Sanders has pinned a lot of hopes on gaining a major share of California's delegates, previously hopeful that they could keep him in the race long enough to battle for the nomination at the democratic convention.
Clinton addressed a crowd of screaming fans waving American flags in Brooklyn on Tuesday evening.
"The first time, the first time in our nation's history that a woman will be a major party's nominee for President of the United States," she said.
Presumptive Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump spoke earlier in the evening, also addressing an enthusiastic crowd.
He strongly attacked Clinton, accusing her of "selling access" to the State Department when she was secretary.
The sharp-tongued Trump said Clinton and her husband, former President Bill Clinton, have "turned the politics of personal enrichment into an art form for themselves."
goal is to bring people together and he promised to never back down from a fight or let his supporters down.
"Together we accomplished what nobody thought was absolutely possible. And you know what that is. We're only getting started and it's going to be beautiful. Remember that," he said.
U.S. media say Clinton already has the support of the 2,383 delegates she needs for the nomination. This includes the 571 so-called super delegates who are free to support any candidate, but already have pledged their backing to Clinton.
Foreigners Cannot Be Jailed for Illegal Entry
The European Court of Justice, in a ruling released Tuesday, said European Union countries cannot jail illegal immigrants simply for crossing borders inside the continent's 26-nation passport-free area known as the Schengen zone.
The court in Luxembourg said EU rules prevent such arrests, unless non-EU migrants are suspected of having committed a crime or already have been subject to deportation procedures. It also ruled against arrests made at Schengen borders as migrants head elsewhere on the continent.
The impact of the court decision was not immediately clear.
The ruling — issued as Europe grapples with a massive influx of migrants from the Middle East and Africa — came in the case of Ghanaian national Selina Affum, who was detained in 2013 by French police at the Channel Tunnel. The detainee was traveling by bus from Belgium to Britain, using someone else's passport.
French police charged her with illegal entry into France and then asked Belgium to take her back. Her lawyers challenged the arrest, saying it violated standard EU rules and procedures for member states when removing non-EU migrants who were in their territory illegally.
With the influx of more than 1 million non-European migrants in the past 18 months, laws governing the Schengen zone have come under intense scrutiny from governments seeking to curb the migration.
Some Schengen countries, including Balkan nations, have addressed the crisis by reinstituting border controls that were scrapped more than a decade ago.
Antigua looking to Cuban market
Antigua and Barbuda is sending a trade mission to Cuba that Trade, Commerce and Industry Minister, Paul Chet Greene, has described as a strategic move given the imminent lifting of the decades-old United States trade embargo.
"We need to get in on the ground in Cuba as early as possible as the potential for business opportunities is significant" he said of the June 20 to July 1 mission.
Greene said that new shipping lanes will soon open into Cuba making the island of 11 million people accessible to products from Antigua and Barbuda and other countries.
He said on a weekly basis, a number of containers leave here empty for the United States and "we could arrange for these containers to take goods destined for Cuban back to Miami, then it's a quick trans-shipment to Havana.
Rowley vows to settle immigration dispute between T&T, Jamaica
Prime Minister of Trinidad and Tobago (T&T) Dr. Keith Rowley and Jamaica's Prime Minister Andrew Holness have agreed to bring to an end the ongoing dispute between both countries concerning immigration.
Relations between the two Caribbean Community (Caricom) member states have been strained over the decision of Port of Spain to deport a number of Jamaicans whom they said would have been a charge on the State for their stay here, having shown no means of sustaining themselves while in the country.
"The Jamaican prime Minister and I agreed that the time has come that this matter be put to bed by the voice of T&T speaking directly to the people of Jamaica. I propose to do so myself," Rowley told reporters at a press conference on the weekend upon his return from Cuba, where he attended the summit of the Association of Caribbean States.
The stance taken by immigration officials prompted several Jamaicans to call for a boycott of products from Caricom member state.
37 year old male charged with Dangerous Driving
On Tuesday 31st May 2016, Traffic Officers of the Royal Turks and Caicos Islands Police Force formally charged and cautioned a 37-year-old male of Blue Hills Providenciales for the offense of Causing Death by Dangerous Driving.
The charges were stemmed from an accident that occurred around 4:37pm on Saturday 27th February 2016 on the Leeward Highway in the vicinity of Automotive Arts when the 37 year old male lost control of his Grey Toyota Corolla Car that he was driving west down the Leeward Highway hit the median and went airborne before colliding into two other vehicles that were heading east on the Leeward Highway causing death to 32 year old Rival Baptist.
The 37-year-old is presently on Police bail for his appearance to court on Wednesday 8th June 2016.
Rihanna in the Turks & Caicos Islands
Bajan pop star Rihanna Fenty recently spent some quiet time in the Turks & Caicos Islands after working hard last fall into spring.
Rihanna inspired a new series of sunny snaps, scenic videos and sexy bikini clad selfies and much more while vacationing in here in the Turks and Caicos, under the hash tag. #getawaygoals.
This is not Rihanna’s first visit to the Turks & Caicos, she was last here during our 3rd music festival that was held in the Turtle Cove area in Provo where she partied along with local and overseas performers.
Her partner in crime Melissa Forde accompanied the working artist, the dynamic duo guzzled wine along the poolside, danced to ’90’s classics from the DJs and held an impromptu photo shoot.
Photos from her visit can be found on Instagram promoting the Turks & Caicos.
TCHTA Addresses Rising Negative Trends
An increase in illegal beach vending as well as tourist harassment is becoming very alarming and is raising concerns among the destination's tourism partners especially its leading private sector association TCHTA.
The Association's Board met recently to address these concerns which have seen the once highly ranked tourism destination drop from the number 1 to number 5 island in the world and from the number 1 beach to number 4 beach in the world on the popular TripAdvisor site.
In addition to the increase in illegal beach vending and tourist harassment, long lines in the departure area at the country's major airport and slow processing by Immigration as it relates to work permits were also discussed with the hope of finding quick and effective solutions which will alleviate the issues.
The Board noted, "These rising negative trends are very alarming and we are finding ourselves working overtime to ensure that our tourism product is not tarnished severely. The Association and its members can continue to pump money into promoting the destination but this will all be for naught if visitors don't feel safe and at peace when they visit.
We rely on our visitors to help us promote TCI on sites like TripAdvisor through their positive reviews but not only are we seeing less visitors voting for us in the various categories but we are also seeing an increase in negative reviews."
Residents who are involved in these illegal activities especially on our beaches need to realize what damage they are doing to the tourism product, damage, which may be irreversible in the long run. Why jeopardize our industry for a quick dollar? The industry belongs to all of us and we all need to play a positive part in its growth and survival.
A better partnership must also be forged with our tourism partners, TCIG and the Police Force to resolve the issues at the airport, the illegal beach vending and tourist harassment in particular. "
The Board is also gravely concerned with the new Immigration processing rules which have created an enormous burden on businesses in the industry as they may not be able to reach their staffing levels required to run their operations effectively. The Board will be reaching out to all relevant groups in the near future to address the concerns and members will also sensitize and educate their staff who in turn will educate their friends and family about being a positive part of our tourism industry puzzle.
Tourist Board hosts Travel Conference
For the twelfth year the Turks and Caicos Islands Tourist Board welcomes premier Travel Wholesalers, Booking Companies and media from North America to its Annual TACC, Turks and Caicos Conference where some $300 million in vacation experiences are secured for these islands.
The opening shindig is hosted at the elite Amanyara Resort in North West, Providenciales tonight and launches three days of events designed to introduce or reintroduce the best of destination Turks and Caicos.
A well-known networking series for the TCI, TACC attracts groups from Expedia, Travel Impressions, Costco, Flight Center (Gogo), Island Destination and many others.
With site tours, conference session, cocktail parties, trade show and a jaunt into South Caicos planned for this year's contingent, it is little wonder TACC, running June 7-10 is accepted as a major event on the TCI Tourist Board marketing calendar.
Add to the travel wholesalers, there is significant media coverage. The Huffington Post, Atlanta Journal, Diplomatic Magazine, Travel Agent Magazine, Resident Media Magazine, Elite Traveler Magazine and Cable News Network (CNN), will all have the opportunity to explore the TCI.
Stories of interest will include the rejuvenated North to Middle Caicos Causeway, plans for Provo International Airport expansion and luxury diving in South Caicos.
Tourist Board Director, Ralph Higgs spoke with our affiliate Deandrea Hamilton of magnetic media about the importance of TACC.
Next stop for TACC is South Caicos on Wednesday to tour Sail Rock and East Bay resorts with a return to Provo to check out the new Shore Club in Leeward.
QUEEN’S BIRTHDAY PARADE MARKS TO MAJOR ANNIVERSARIES
The Turks and Caicos Islands will join sister Commonwealth nations around the world in celebrating Her Majesty the Queen’s Birthday on Saturday, 11 June 2016.
The ceremony will be held on the nation’s capital, Grand Turk, where the annual Queen’s Birthday celebrations will take place on the parade ground at 10am.
“The Governor’s Office would like to invite everyone to come out and enjoy this special event marking the ninetieth birthday of Her Majesty the Queen,” said the Governor, Peter Beckingham. “As this is a particularly special occasion, and also marks the 50th anniversary of the visit by Her Majesty the Queen to the Turks and Caicos Islands it would be great to a strong turnout to mark the event, and also to support the many members of the local community who will be participating.”
The ceremony will include participants from the Royal Turks and Caicos Islands Police Force (RTCIPF), staff from HM Prison, Customs and Immigration officials, Fire fighters, the Ex-Serviceman Legion, TCI Red Cross youth, Cadets, Boy Scouts, Girl Guides, Girls Brigade, Rainbows and children from the Island’s schools. The RTCIPF band will accompany all.
Following the parade, Governor Peter Beckingham will present long service awards to key members of the uniformed services in recognition of their 18, 25 or 30 years of service to the Crown.
The ceremony will last for approximately 60 minutes and it will conclude with a royal salute taken by the Governor.
As is traditional in the TCI, the Governor’s Office will provide refreshments to all participating in the parade.
JOB FAIR 2016 Launched in Grand Turk
The 2016 Job Fair began in Grand Turk today as the Government invited the general public for the first time to the 1st Annual Job Readiness Fair being held at the Dillon Hall in Grand Turk.
Welcoming the ministries & the public during the opening was Her Excellency, the Hon. Anya Williams.
The DG also spoke to some 150 positions that are available within TCIG for persons to apply for.
Minister the Hon. George Lightbourne was also on hand and sat with Expressions host Pastor Chad Archibold to talk about the undertaking of the 1st job fair.
Ministries set up booths at the Dillon Hall, where presentations were done on how to apply for TCIG vacancies and tips and techniques for successful interviews.
CSA President Mr. Patterson also praised the HR Directorate & the Deputy Governors office for holding this event.
Day 2 of the Job Fair will be held at the Gustarvus Lightbourne Sports Complex on Thursday June 9th, 2016.
