Inspector Kirton Sutton Pleads Not Guilty to 6 Charges
Inspector with the Royal Turks and Caicos Islands Police Force Kirton Sutton plead not guilty to six charges when he appeared in court on Thursday, May 7, 2026.
Insp. Sutton appeared before Chief Magistrate Jolyon Hatmin charged with the following offenses:
- three counts of obstruction of police officers
- one count of driving without due care and attention
- one count of failing to comply with police indications
- and one count of assaulting a police officer
Insp. Sutton was represented by attorney Ashwood Forbes, while Tavana Wilson appeared for the Crown.
The matter was adjourned for mention on May 29, 2026, and trial dates were set for June 16 and June 22, 2026.
The charges stem from an incident which reportedly began as a traffic stop in the Grace Bay area involving on-duty police officers and Insp. Sutton, who was off duty at the time.
The situation allegedly escalated and later continued into the vicinity of Suzie Turn, where further events are said to have transpired.
During the hearing, Insp. Sutton told the chief magistrate he was seeking a speedy trial because he had been suspended from duty on half pay and was experiencing financial hardship as a result.
American Troops No Longer Required To Get Flu Vaccine
Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth announced that U.S. military officials will no longer require all American troops to get the flu vaccine, citing “medial autonomy” and religious freedom.
In a video posted on social media, Defense Secretary said that the notion that a flu vaccine must be mandatory for every service member, everywhere, in every circumstance at all times is just overly broad and not rational,”
He said American service members are free to get the flu vaccine but will not be forced to “because your body, your faith and your convictions are not negotiable.”
Hegseth’s directive does allow for the military services to request to keep the vaccine requirement in place, according to a memo enacting the policy posted online. It says the services have 15 days to make those requests.
Vaccination programs in the U.S. military date back to the American Revolution. But they became a contentious political issue during the coronavirus pandemic, when more than 8,400 troops were forced out of the military for refusing to obey the 2021 mandate for the COVID-19 vaccine. Thousands of others sought religious and medical exemptions.
Congress agreed to rescind the mandate, which the Pentagon dropped in January 2023, after roughly 99% of active duty troops in the Navy, Air Force and Marine Corps had gotten the vaccine, and 98% of those in the Army. The Guard and Reserve rates are lower but generally are more than 90%.
The Trump administration then spent months crafting a policy to allow service members who refused to take the mandatory COVID-19 vaccine to reenter service with back pay. While only a tiny fraction have taken the Pentagon up on the new policy, Hegseth’s team has spent the past several months personally highlighting them.
The Pentagon stated in March that 153 service members who were separated under the COVID-19 mandate had been reinstated or “re-accessed.”
The dropping of the flu vaccine mandate follows what health officials said was a particularly severe flu season when U.S. infections surged. Public health experts recommend that everyone 6 months and older get an annual influenza vaccine.
The Congressional Research Service listed eight mandatory vaccines for service members in a 2021 report. They included vaccines for the flu, polio and tetanus as well as the measles and hepatitis A and B.
Service members could request to opt out of a vaccine requirement for religious reasons, the report stated. But the unit commander was required to seek input from medical and religious representatives, while also counseling the service member on the potential impact on their ability to deploy. A military physician also had to counsel the service member on the benefits and risks of forgoing a required vaccination.
The Congressional Research Service noted that the military instituted its first vaccination program in 1777 when Gen. George Washington directed the inoculation of the Continental Army to protect personnel from smallpox.
SVG Sailing Week Secures Major Sustainability Milestone
SVG Sailing Week 2026 has secured a major sustainability milestone, earning the Clean Regattas Gold Certificate following the successful staging of this year’s event.
The eight-day regatta once again positioned Saint Vincent and the Grenadines as a premier sailing destination, blending competitive racing with cultural programming and a strengthened focus on environmental stewardship.
The certification, issued by Sailors for the Sea through its Clean Regattas programme, recognizes regattas that meet high standards in waste reduction, ocean conservation and environmental protection. Organizers said the recognition places the event among the leading sustainable sailing competitions globally.
Central to that achievement was the expanded execution of the Sail Green SVG initiative, which introduced targeted measures to minimize the event’s environmental footprint. Organizers reduced single-use plastics and partnered with Action Bequia and All Island Recycling Inc to install clearly marked recycling stations and improve waste management where plastics were unavoidable. Paper use was also cut by moving schedules and race information online, while awards were locally crafted or repurposed trophies.
Racing took place across St. Vincent, Bequia and Canouan, drawing sailors from across the Caribbean and beyond for yacht, cruising and traditional double-ender competitions.
The event also emphasized community engagement, with more than 40 volunteers from over a dozen organizations participating in a beach cleanup at Big Sands, Sandy Bay, collecting approximately 20 bags of waste. Educational sessions highlighted marine conservation, including the protection of leatherback turtles.
Green Campaign Lead Amber Glasgow said the certification represents a broader shift in how the event is being developed.
Organizers are now targeting Platinum status by 2027 as they seek to further strengthen the country’s position as a leader in sustainable tourism.
By combining competitive racing, community involvement and environmental action, SVG Sailing Week continues to set a benchmark for sustainable events across the Caribbean.
Sentencing Date in SIPT Trial Postponed to May 18th 2026
Supreme Court Justice Rajendra Narine is set to sentence former Premier Michael Eugene Misick, Former Minister McAllister Hanchell, and Attorney Thomas Chalmers Misick on May 18th, following their convictions earlier this year on bribery and money laundering charges.
The sentencing had originally been scheduled for today May 4th but was postponed due to routine scheduling issues involving the court and attorneys, which arose shortly after the February convictions.
On February 4th, Michael Misick—who served as Premier from 2006 until resigning in 2009—was found guilty of bribery and money laundering offences committed while in office. McAllister Hanchell, was also convicted on similar charges. Chalmers Misick, was found guilty of helping to launder the proceeds of those bribes.
The charges stem from major tourism development deals involving multinational companies, as well as concealed international financial transactions.
In his ruling following the judge-alone trial, Justice Narine determined that the men accepted more than $20 million in bribes tied to developments including Beaches Resort and land transactions on Salt Cay and West Caicos.
Michael Misick was convicted on three counts of bribery, McAllister Hanchell on two counts of bribery, and Chalmers Misick on four counts of money laundering. The trio was first charged in 2011 after a commission of inquiry uncovered widespread corruption.
That inquiry led to significant political fallout, including Misick’s resignation in 2009 and the suspension of parts of the Turks and Caicos Islands Constitution by the British government, temporarily removing self-governance. Constitutional rule was restored in 2012 under a revised framework.
Criminal proceedings began in December 2015 and concluded with the February 2026 verdicts. Following their convictions, Justice Narine granted bail to all three men pending sentencing, setting it at $15 million for Michael Misick, $4 million for McAllister Hanchell, and $13 million for Chalmers Misick.
3 DAY PUBLIC WEATHER FORECAST 04 MAY 2026
3 DAY WEATHER FORECAST FRIDAY MAY 1ST 2026
Belize Health Authorities Confirm a Case of Measles
Belize health authorities have confirmed a case of measles in a 19-year-old resident who recently traveled to Guatemala, as officials step up vaccination and containment efforts amid a growing regional outbreak.
In a statement, the Ministry of Health and Wellness said the individual was preliminarily diagnosed with measles on April 24th, and that isolation and quarantine protocols are being enforced.
The ministry added that a ring vaccination campaign and community outreach efforts were immediately launched and remain ongoing.
Officials also warned of an increasing outbreak in neighbouring Guatemala, where 5,100 measles cases have been reported since December 2025.
The MOHW urged the public to get vaccinated, stressing that immunization remains the most effective protection against measles and its complications.
According to PAHO, vaccination coverage in 2024 reached 89 percent for the first dose of the MMR vaccine and 79 percent for the second dose, while DPT coverage reached 87 percent. However, more than 1.4 million children across the region still did not receive a single vaccine dose.
The organization noted that the Americas first eliminated measles in 2016, but lost that status in 2018, regained it in 2024, and lost it again in 2025.
In 2025, 14,767 confirmed cases were reported across 13 countries—nearly 32 times higher than the previous year. As of April 5, 2026, more than 15,300 cases have already been reported, surpassing the total for all of 2025.
Health officials say the latest Belize case underscores the urgency of strengthening vaccination campaigns and surveillance systems across the region.
US State Department to Issue Limited Edition Passport for 250th Anniversary
The State Department is releasing a limited-edition U.S. passport to mark America's 250th anniversary and the document will feature President Donald Trump's image and signature on the inside cover, a White House official and a source familiar with the move confirmed to ABC News.
The inner page will feature Trump's portrait over a stylized image of the Declaration of Independence, according to mock-ups posted to social media by the State Department.
Under current plans, the limited-edition passport will only be available through the Washington Passport Agency, while other offices and the online renewal system will still issue the standard design, a State Department official told ABC News.
However, the official said that while the limited-edition passport is available, applicants who receive a passport through the Washington Passport Agency will only be issued that design -- they cannot opt out.
In announcing the limited-edition passport, a White House spokesperson said in a statement that "President Trump’s new patriotic passport design provides yet another great way Americans can join in the spectacular celebrations for America’s 250th birthday."
Commissioner of Police Appears on RTC First Edition
On RTC's Tuesday morning program First Edition usually hosted by Cheryl-Ann Forman, news reporter Zoya Faessler had the pleasure of being guest host and interviewed the Commissioner of Police for the Royal Turks and Caicos Islands Police Force Fitz Bailey.
Danae Dennie filed this report.
Turks and Caicos Islander Makes History at Howard University
A historic milestone was achieved at the Howard University Student Association Senate, marking a significant moment for the Turks and Caicos Islands and the wider Caribbean region.
For the first time in the Senate’s 15-year history, a Caribbean student has been elected to its highest office.
Antwon HF Walkin, a native of the Turks and Caicos Islands and Deputy Premier of the National Youth Parliament, has been elected as the 15th Chairman/President of the Senate.
Walkin’s election represents multiple groundbreaking firsts. He is the first Turks and Caicos Islander to hold the position, the first Caribbean national to be elected, and the first student from the College of Engineering and Architecture—specifically an Architectural major—to ascend to the role.
RTC spoke with Walkin to find out how he feels about this achievement, what it means for him personally and for the country.
Prior to his election, Walkin served as Chair of the University and External Affairs Committee, where he was widely recognized for elevating the Senate’s public profile and strengthening its engagement both within the university and beyond. His leadership brought increased visibility, strategic outreach, and a renewed sense of institutional presence.
His election signals not only a personal achievement but also a broader advancement for Caribbean representation in international academic leadership spaces. It underscores the growing influence and contributions of Caribbean students within global institutions.
Congratulations Antwon! We are truly proud of you!










