Royal Caribbean Suspends Calls to Labadee, Haiti Through 2027

Cruise giant, Royal Caribbean International suspended calls at Labadee, its private destination in Haiti, through June 2027. Previously the line had canceled visits through the end of 2026.

Historically and according to recent company letters posted by travelers, substituted ports include Nassau, Perfect Day at CocoCay, Bimini, Grand Turk and Falmouth (Jamaica), Poncé (Puerto Rico), Samaná (Dominican Republic) and Grand Cayman.
Occasionally sea days have been substituted.

Cruises reportedly haven't visited Labadee since first quarter 2025, following an eight-month hiatus in 2024.

The company said that the safety and well being of guests and crew members are most important.

The US Department of State last week reiterated its Level 4: Do Not Travel advisory for Haiti, which has been under a national state of emergency since March 2024.


Hon E. Jay Saunders Gives Public Update on New Government Measures for Electricity Costs

Minister of Energy, Hon. E Jay Saunders on Thursday morning, July 16th 2026, gave Turks and Caicos an update on measures the government is implementing to assist with increasing electricity costs. Our Danae Dennie has the story.


Puerto Rico Announces New Water Rationing Measures as Worsening Drought Conditions Intensify

Puerto Rico has announced new water rationing measures as worsening drought conditions intensify the island’s ongoing water crisis, prompting officials to take additional conservation steps under an existing state of emergency.

Beginning today Friday July 17th, thousands of residents in northeastern Puerto Rico will face 48-hour water service interruptions, according to Luis González, executive president of the Puerto Rico Aqueduct and Sewer Authority (PRASA).

The restrictions will impact several communities in the municipalities of Canóvanas and Río Grande, where rising temperatures and limited rainfall have strained water supplies.

“There’s simply not enough water,” González said, warning that the rationing program could be expanded to additional areas if dry conditions persist.

Officials attribute the current shortages largely to below-average rainfall. However, water service disruptions had already been affecting some of Puerto Rico’s most populated communities months before the drought intensified, and authorities have yet to determine the underlying cause of those earlier outages.

The recurring water problems led San Juan’s mayor to file a lawsuit against PRASA in late May. Gov. Jenniffer González has acknowledged that decades of underinvestment and inadequate maintenance have left the island’s water infrastructure in poor condition.

Last month, nearly 40,000 customers lost access to water, prompting the governor to activate the National Guard. Officials said that outage was unrelated to the current drought.

According to the U.S. Drought Monitor, about 14% of Puerto Rico is experiencing severe drought, while another 59% is under moderate drought conditions. The affected area has expanded significantly since late June, with an estimated 2.3 million of the island’s 3.2 million residents now living in drought-impacted regions.

Puerto Rico has faced similar challenges before. During a major drought in 2016, roughly 400,000 utility customers received running water only once every three days.

As water shortages continue, frustrated residents have staged protests, and lawmakers are pressing officials for answers. Legislators also held a public hearing this week to examine the economic impact of the water crisis, particularly in a territory where nearly 40% of the population lives below the poverty line.


Financial Services Commission Hosts Training Session for Registry Staff in Grand Turk

The Registry Department of the Financial Services Commission hosted a targeted customer service training on 10 July 2026 as part of its ongoing commitment to enhancing service delivery and fostering a culture of excellence across the department.

Facilitated by Melanie Smith of Talent Recruitment Group at the Commission’s Grand Turk branch, the session focused on the core principles of professionalism, empathy, accountability, and adopting a “service above self” approach in every public-facing interaction.

The training explored best practices for exceeding customer expectations, anticipating customer needs, providing clear and effective guidance, and strengthening positive working relationships among colleagues.

Participants were encouraged to recognise that while efficiency and accuracy are fundamental to quality service, exceptional customer experiences are created when staff consistently go beyond expectations to leave a lasting positive impression.

As the Commission’s primary public-facing department, the Registry Department continues to embed customer service excellence into its operational plans while promoting a people-centred culture founded on respect, collaboration, and meaningful engagement.

Reflecting on the training, Registrar Caulette Simons said, “Outstanding customer service is the foundation of public trust. By combining professional expertise with genuine empathy and proactive support, our team does more than process transactions—we create positive, memorable experiences that reflect our commitment to the people we serve.”

Acting Managing Director Kenisha Bacchus added, “Investing in service excellence strengthens our entire organisation. When employees support one another and share responsibility for the customer experience, we deliver more consistent, compassionate, and effective public service.”


3 DAY PUBLIC WEATHER FORECAST FROM FRIDAY JULY 17TH 2026

GENERAL SITUATION: Residual Saharan dust and high pressure ridging are maintaining warm, dry conditions across the Turks and Caicos Islands today.

SPECIAL WARNINGS: A Dust Advisory remains in effect for the Turks & Caicos Islands until 8 pm this evening. Residents, especially those with respiratory conditions, should take the necessary precautions to safeguard their health.

UV Index: The public are advised to wear protective clothing and sunscreen, and seek shaded areas while outside during peak sunshine hours (11am – 4pm), as UV indices are expected to be in the very high to extreme range.

ALL AREAS
WEATHER: Partly sunny and hazy today. Mostly fair tonight.
WINDS: East to southeast at 10 to 20 knots
SEAS: Smooth to slight with wave heights of 3 feet or less nearshore, building up to 4 feet offshore
DAYTIME HIGH TEMPERATURE 91°F 33°C
HEAT INDEX 102°F 39°C
OVERNIGHT LOW TEMPERATURE 81°F 27°C

SUNSET: 07:34 PM
NEXT LOW TIDE: 05:31 PM (0.7 FT)
NEXT HIGH TIDE: 11:49 PM (2.6 FT)

EXTENDED FORECAST: Saharan dust levels are expected to gradually clear by Saturday. Over the weekend and into early next week, increasing moisture and a developing trough will raise the chance of showers activity across the Turks and Caicos Islands. Another plume of Saharan dust is then expected to move into the region by mid-next week as high pressure builds, limiting shower activity once again.

SATURDAY: Isolated showers possible. Partly sunny, with a high near 92°F (34°C).
SATURDAY NIGHT: Mostly fair, with a low around 81°F (27°C).
WINDS: East to southeast at 10 to 20 knots
SEAS: Smooth to slight with wave heights of 3 feet or less nearshore, building up to 5 feet offshore
SUNRISE: 06:15 AM
SUNSET: 07:34 PM
LOW TIDE: 06:11 AM (0.7 FT) 06:29 PM (0.7 FT)
HIGH TIDE: 12:14 PM (2.6 FT) ------

SUNDAY: Partly sunny, with a high near 91°F (33°C).
SUNDAY NIGHT: Isolated showers possible. Mostly fair, with a low around 81°F (27°C).
WINDS: East to southeast at 10 to 20 knots
SEAS: Smooth to slight with wave heights of 3 feet or less nearshore, building up to 5 feet offshore
SUNRISE: 06:16 AM
SUNSET: 07:33 PM
HIGH TIDE: 12:39 AM (2.6 FT) 01:11 PM (2.6 FT)
LOW TIDE: 06:58 AM (0.7 FT) 07:30 PM (1.0 FT)

TROPICAL WEATHER OUTLOOK:
1. Eastern Tropical Atlantic: A broad area of low pressure, associated with a tropical wave and located a couple of hundred miles southeast of the Cabo Verde Islands has a low chance of tropical cyclone formation within 48 hours, and through the next seven (7) days, as the system continues west-northwestward. Significant development of this system is not expected before environmental conditions become even less favorable for development over the weekend.

2. Northeastern Gulf of Mexico and Offshore of the Southeastern US: An area of low pressure is forecast to form this weekend over the Northeastern Gulf of America has a low chance of tropical cyclone formation within the next seven (7) days, as the system moves northeastward.

FORECASTER: H. HAMILTON


Former Chief Minister Hon. Norman Saunders Sr. Speaks With Host of Expressions

On a recent episode of RTC's Expressions, former Chief Minister of the Turks and Caicos Islands, Hon. Norman B. Saunders Sr. was the guest. Take a listen.


First TCI Female Earns US Soccer National B Coaching License

The Turks and Caicos Islands football community celebrates a historic achievement as Olivia Graveley, Director of the Grand Turk Football Program, becomes the first woman from the TCI to earn the US Soccer National B Coaching License.

This landmark accomplishment represents a significant milestone not only in Graveley's coaching journey but also in the continued advancement of football development in the Turks and Caicos Islands.

The US Soccer National B Coaching License is one of the highest-level coaching qualifications offered by US Soccer, equipping coaches with advanced knowledge in player development, tactical understanding, leadership, and high-performance coaching.

Acting General Secretary Candia Ewing praised Graveley's accomplishment, highlighting the remarkable journey that has brought her to this historic milestone.
"Olivia's achievement is one that the entire Turks and Caicos Islands Football Association celebrates with great pride. Her football journey is a shining example of what dedication, resilience, and commitment can achieve. She progressed through our youth development programme, proudly represented the Turks and Caicos Islands Women's National Team, and has since grown into an invaluable member of the Association, serving in several key roles before becoming Director of the Grand Turk Football Program. Earning the US Soccer National B Coaching License is a tremendous accomplishment and a reflection of Olivia's unwavering pursuit of excellence. She continues to raise the standard for coaching in the Turks and Caicos Islands while inspiring the next generation of players, coaches, and young women to believe that they too can reach the highest levels of the game. We are excited to see the positive impact her knowledge and leadership will continue to have on football across our islands."

As Director of the Grand Turk Football Program, Graveley has been instrumental in developing young footballers, mentoring aspiring coaches, and creating meaningful opportunities for players across Grand Turk. Her latest achievement further reinforces her commitment to raising coaching standards and strengthening football development throughout the country.

Olivia's story reflects the complete football pathway in the Turks and Caicos Islands, from youth player to national team representative, football administrator, coach, and now one of the country's most highly qualified coaches. Her success stands as an inspiration to aspiring coaches, particularly women and girls, demonstrating the opportunities that exist through dedication, education, and a passion for the game.

Congratulations on achieving your US B License Olivia! This is a historic accomplishment!

We encourage you to continue to strengthen football development at every level across the country.


Palm Beach County "Operation Hurricane" Dismantles Criminal Activity

A two-month long law enforcement operation targeting violent crime in Palm Beach County has led to federal charges against 38 people, state charges against 8 others, and the seizure of dozens of firearms, illegal drugs, and ammunition, federal authorities announced last week Thursday July 9th 2026.

Dubbed "Operation Hurricane", the initiative was launched in May by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) Miami Field Division to combat illegal firearms trafficking and reduce violent crime across South Florida.

The results were announced by U.S. Attorney for the Southern District of Florida Jason A. Reding Quiñones, alongside officials from the ATF, Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA), and several local law enforcement agencies.

Throughout the investigation, ATF agents from across the country joined South Florida law enforcement officers to assist with tactical operations, undercover investigations, and specialized investigative support.

Authorities said the majority of the 46 defendants are Palm Beach County residents accused of firearms and drug trafficking offenses.

During the operation, investigators recovered 94 firearms, including semiautomatic rifles and handguns, more than 600 rounds of ammunition, and approximately 9.4 kilograms of illegal drugs. The narcotics seized included fentanyl, methamphetamine, cocaine and other controlled substances.

Assistant Attorney General Colin M. McDonald said similar targeted enforcement operations have contributed to reductions in violent crime in communities where they have been carried out.

Federal officials said Operation Hurricane is part of an ongoing effort to dismantle criminal networks, disrupt illegal gun trafficking, and remove repeat violent offenders from communities across South Florida.


Two Month Long Investigation in Middle Tennessee Concludes Successfully

Authorities in Middle Tennessee have seized illegal drugs, firearms, cash, and other evidence following the conclusion of a two-month drug trafficking investigation.

The Maury County Sheriff’s Office said search warrants were executed on Friday, July 10th, marking the successful conclusion of a lengthy investigation.

Here’s what was seized in the investigation:
* More than 2,000 pills, including approximately 1,500 suspected fentanyl or fentanyl-laced pills
* Nearly $58,000 in U.S. currency
* Multiple firearms
* A GMC truck
* Quantities of cocaine and other illegal narcotics

The identities of the suspects in this case have not yet been released. No other information regarding arrests were provided.


Eastern Caribbean Currency Union Redesigns Banknotes

The Eastern Caribbean Currency Union (ECCU) has introduced a redesigned series of banknotes that pays tribute to the region’s distinguished leaders and achievements while replacing the image of the late Queen Elizabeth II with figures who have shaped the Eastern Caribbean.

The new currency was unveiled on Thursday July 9th, during a ceremony in the Commonwealth of Dominica, where Governor of the Eastern Caribbean Central Bank (ECCB) Timothy N.J. Antoine and members of the ECCB Monetary Council marked the transition of the council’s chairmanship.

Governor Antoine said the redesign reflects the voices of the people of the Eastern Caribbean, noting that public consultation played a central role in selecting the individuals featured on the new banknotes. He said the public made it clear that the region’s currency should recognize the heroes, nation-builders, scholars, and leaders whose contributions have helped define the Eastern Caribbean.

Each of the ECCU’s eight member countries was invited to nominate an individual whose legacy exemplifies leadership, public service, scholarship, and excellence.

The redesigned EC$100 note features Nobel Prize-winning economist Sir William Arthur Lewis alongside Saint Lucia’s former Prime Minister, Sir John George Melvin Compton.

Appearing on the EC$50 note are former ECCB Governor Sir K. Dwight Venner, who led the central bank from 1989 to 2015, and Sir Robert Llewellyn Bradshaw of St. Kitts and Nevis.

The EC$20 banknote honours Antigua and Barbuda’s first Prime Minister, Sir Vere Cornwall Bird Sr., together with former Dominica Prime Minister Dame Mary Eugenia Charles.

Montserrat’s former Chief Minister William Henry Bramble and Anguilla political leader James Ronald Webster are featured on the EC$10 note.

The EC$5 banknote recognizes former St. Vincent and the Grenadines Prime Minister Robert Milton Cato alongside Grenadian Olympic champion Sir Kirani James.

The updated banknotes also introduce the ECCB logo encircled by the flags of the union’s eight member states, marking the first time the design has incorporated all member nations in this way.

As part of the redesign, Sir K. Dwight Venner’s portrait has been moved to the front of the EC$50 note, while Sir William Arthur Lewis now appears on the front of the EC$100 note instead of the reverse.

The ECCB also announced that the region’s coins will be updated, with the portrait of Queen Elizabeth II being replaced by the ECCU logo, further reflecting the union’s regional identity.